Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anxiety and depression thread (Please read OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭Shint0

BaaLamb wrote: »
    Another morning of crying and being afraid. Unable to get out of bed and panicking about finding work. I think this is getting worse and I can't get hold of anyone in the service. Shall have to try again today.
    If by 'service' you mean your mental health team then you are doing the right thing by contacting them and I hope you get through to them today.

Are you in a position to put the job hunting aside temporarily? I understand people can have financial commitments and obligations but even where people are not stuggling with their health the whole process can be very daunting. Would taking a little break away from it for the moment help, I wonder, and just concentrating on feeling a little better.

When you are in a position to do so I am happy to offer some advice or feedback on the thread to anyone having issues with employment and facing mental health challenges if that would be useful and appropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭BaaLamb

Shint0 wrote: »
    If by 'service' you mean your mental health team then you are doing the right thing by contacting them and I hope you get through to them today.

Are you in a position to put the job hunting aside temporarily? I understand people can have financial commitments and obligations but even where people are not stuggling with their health the whole process can be very daunting. Would taking a little break away from it for the moment help, I wonder, and just concentrating on feeling a little better.

When you are in a position to do so I am happy to offer some advice or feedback on the thread to anyone having issues with employment and facing mental health challenges if that would be useful and appropriate.

Left a voicemail so hopefully I will hear back from the team today.

Not really in a position to put job hunting aside even temporarily as husband is also out of work come the end of August. This is why the pressure is so overwhelming for me. I'd love to take a complete break and focus on being with the children before they go back to school but unfortunately it is not to be.

I really like the idea of advice and feedback on employment and mental health. I think more than us on this thread would probably benefit from it so perhaps a new specific thread on employment and mental health?

Again thank you for your support.

Edit: Now have appointment for early next week and can also go in tomorrow without appointment if I can't wait until then. Hopefully I might get some support from CPN over the next few weeks.

I had my appointment with social welfare today and was told I don't qualify for Jobseekers Benefit as I was self-employed in the qualifying year. They'll see if I qualify for Jobseekers Allowance but I may not because my husband is still working. I told them his job was finished at the end of August but that doesn't seem to be taken into account. I came home, took an ativan and got into my pyjamas. I'm just worn out and my brain is mush. Nothing seems to go right at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 GiveAndTake16

Hello everyone reading this. Not really sure if this is the place to post this, but I thought I would give it a try. Basically I am moving out soon and will be in a situation where I have to share with a few others. To your average person this probably wouldn't bother them to the point it has upset me. You see ever since I was young I have struggled with social anxiety and was only diagnosed in my late teens as having SA, GAD and a mood disorder. I feel that I have been coping okay, but this has really made me re access my progress. I have been medication free for around a year and a half now, but this has made me consider getting a second opinion. If my mental issues get bad its to the point I can't function, which i really cant afford. Talking may help , but I feel so lost..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,932 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Hi GiveAndTake16.

It's natural to feel nervous before a change as significant as this may be. That would be the case for anyone but even more so for someone with anxiety issues.
    Well done on managing to be med free for 18 months. I would advise you to tie with your Dr to let them know where you are at and they can give advice and also maybe consider if meds are necessary at this point.

Would it be an option to move out over a more gradual period such as 1 night week 1, 2 week 2 and so on or every 2nd night to try to build up to it instead of a sudden change.

If you're moving out because of college then this may be difficult if you're going quite a distance but still you might be able to come back to where you are now for a few nights a week.

This is a good place to vent, if needed, and to get support. What you're doing is difficult. Don't blame yourself or feel like you're not ready if you do struggle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 GiveAndTake16

Thanks Tell me how, your words were really comforting. I suppose i have to remind myself i do have options and support either in my inner circle or here on the boards. Will have to consider my options. Anyone who is also struggling sending my love.

I am going to leave out details for now as they are irrelevant to why I am here.
    I am 16 and I have been suffering from mental health problems for almost 4 years (starting off as just anxiety). The last couple of months have been quite bad. And most importantly I am yet to get any help.

I went to the GP when I was 14 only to get the door slammed in my face since I came alone. He didn't care about what I had to say he just laughed and shoved me out the door so he could ring a parent against my will... How I was treated absolutely destroyed me, and since I was under 16 he was legally entitled to do it.

Now I have been thinking about going to a different GP to seek help. Since I do not trust/connect with my family and utterly despise my parents going alone is the only way. However after hours of research I've figured out the GP might not be able to get me any help without parental involvement. 18 is where the line is drawn by all mental health services. However, 16 is where the line is drawn by the laws regarding healthcare consent and confidentiality.

When I said I don't want parental involvement I'd appreciate it if people didn't question me for details because that is not why I am here. And as in involvement I don't mind my mother (I don't live with Dad) being aware that I am being treated.. I don't mind if she has to sign a document. I just cannot have her knowing any details... because I hate her and my relationship with her may be a factor in my poor mental health.

If I must have family involvement could I let it only be my 20yr old brother? I still would be uncomfortable with opening up in front of him but if doctors must contact somebody in an emergency or whatever could I have him as the "go-to person" instead of my mother?

Before I disclose any information with the doctor I'll make sure she runs through confidentiality completely.. but it is tricky because what I have to say may be one of those exceptions where they must breach it.

So do people think it will be possible for a GP to get me serious help without parental involvement? Any advice?

You poor thing :(

It must have been an awful experience for you to have that doctor turn you away in such a manner. It's not easy to reach out.

I'm on my phone so I can't link you to anything but look up Jigsaw. It's a program for young people which is run by an organisation called Head Strong. Jigsaw offers counselling and support to teenagers. Also there is a post at the top of this forum which has lots of phone numbers of other services which may help you. Another one to try is Barnardos.

You don't have to go through this alone x

I'm worried I'm annoying others with my posts here. Can someone please let me know if that is the case as I don't want to upset or annoy anyone or be a thread hogger. I'm genuinely just really struggling right now.

BaaLamb wrote:
    I'm worried I'm annoying others with my posts here. Can someone please let me know if that is the case as I don't want to upset or annoy anyone or be a thread hogger. I'm genuinely just really struggling right now.

Speaking for myself, you're not annoying me. You're struggling and trying to get out of it by talking about it and hoping that you'll get some guidance or at least comforting words.

That's the purpose of the thread.

Also, it won't always be this way for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭murria

Not in the slightest Baa Lamb, you're in a tough place right now. Please keep on posting. Sometimes the thread goes quiet, but theres lots of reasons for that.

It's one of those times in your life when the universe just seems to dump everything bad on you. The worst thing is the uncertainty for the future of your family, it's nigh on impossible not to be anxious in those circumstances and this is a safe place for you to express your fears. We may not have the answers to your problems but many people read this thread (most never post anything) and we all support you and empathise with you. Sending you positive thoughts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭failinis

I feel worse.

failinis wrote:
    I feel worse.

Sorry to hear that failinis. It's small consolation maybe but it does come in waves, up and down. I know it may feel more down than up.

Hopefully tomorrow will be better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭worded

Gave up coffee / caffeine completely last week and I'm feeling very calm now

I have 1 or 2 Americano 2 shots a day, nothing excessive but I've read that it affects different people in different ways

Consider giving up caffeine for 14 days + and see if you notice a difference in mood

I'm on caffeine free tea now. Saving a few € every day as well

Best of luck to all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

^Interesting......... I should probably try this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭Shint0

BaaLamb, you're not annoying people. The purpose of this thread is to vent and venting has a purpose. By getting the thoughts and feelings outside of yourself whether through writing online or talking to someone it reduces the power and intensity of those thoughts and feelings.

Sometimes people might respond directly, sometimes they might thank a post to show support but I think everyone here recognises that anyone who is or has been in a similar position needs that space sometimes to get it all out there. No one will judge you here. Just so long as it all complies with the charter. Grem, I'm sure, will have no problem giving anyone guidance on that if required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭ivytwine

Exactly what Shint0 said... For my part I'm trying to cut back on my internet usage so while I may not always comment or thank, I do always think of everyone here, especially yourself BaaLamb, because you have been going through it :/

Thanks everyone. I hope everyone is coping ok with the weekend.

I made an appointment with a counsellor. I think I need more than the group CBT. Calling was SO hard and I nearly hung up. But I've done it now.

ivytwine wrote: »
    I made an appointment with a counsellor. I think I need more than the group CBT. Calling was SO hard and I nearly hung up. But I've done it now.

Well done, making that call was at least half the battle.

Well done, making that call was at least half the battle.

Thank you BaaLamb. i hate making phone calls at the best of times!

• Advertisement

ivytwine wrote: »
    Thank you BaaLamb. i hate making phone calls at the best of times!

Funny isn't it how something that should be so simple can appear like a major challenge thanks to how our minds function?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭trixychic

My 7 yr old just told me he wished he was dead. When I told him I would never want that to happen he replied saying he wished we were all dead (mammy daddy little brother and him) so we could all live up in heaven and be happy for ever.

trixychic wrote:
    My 7 yr old just told me he wished he was dead. When I told him I would never want that to happen he replied saying he wished we were all dead (mammy daddy little brother and him) so we could all live up in heaven and be happy for ever.

I wouldn't think he meant it literally trixychic, he was probably focusing on the "happy ever after" connotation of heaven and that it's dead people who go there.

I wouldn't think he meant it literally trixychic, he was probably focusing on the "happy ever after" connotation of heaven and that it's dead people who go there.

Maybe. He's been very upset lately and he keeps saying he wishes he could go to the moon or that he was a cheeteah or that he could go be somewhere else. He locks himself in his bedroom and will only communicate with me through notes I slip under his door.

I'm hoping it's nothing major but it's breaking my heart. He just can't seem to deal with the things life throws at him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,487 ✭✭✭✭Esel

trixychic wrote: »
    Maybe. He's been very upset lately and he keeps saying he wishes he could go to the moon or that he was a cheeteah or that he could go be somewhere else. He locks himself in his bedroom and will only communicate with me through notes I slip under his door.

I'm hoping it's nothing major but it's breaking my heart. He just can't seem to deal with the things life throws at him.

That's worrying, tbh.

Is he able to actually lock his bedroom door?

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »

Is he able to actually lock his bedroom door?

No no. He's just closing the door and if I knock he tells me to go away. If I wanted to open it I could. We don't have locks on any of the doors. And the keys are put up high.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭bridgettedon

trixychic wrote: »

Do you know why he is acting like this. I think it's important to try and understand the reason behind his behaviour. Is it something to do with the school year nearly being here. You could post in the parenting forum because maybe someone there will have a similar experience. Poor kid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,487 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Do you know why he is acting like this. I think it's important to try and understand the reason behind his behaviour. Is it something to do with the school year nearly being here. You could post in the parenting forum because maybe someone there will have a similar experience. Poor kid.

That's why I said it's worrying.

Not your ornery onager

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,473 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Trixy well done for noticing and realising it's a worry. It could be a simple thing, like a thing he saw on telly or misunderstanding something he overheard but if it was me i reckon i'd investigate.

BaaLamb this thread is for all of us, sometimes it goes quiet for a day or three but never be put off posting. It's usually just some real world stuff interrupting things for others..

• Advertisement

Sorry guys let me explain things now that I'm over the initial shock. So my 7yr old is my eldest. And at the minute we are having him assessed for autism/aspergers/adhd.. everthing really. An occupational therapist has already said he has a sensory disorder and we will have the report about the rest come Tue.

It's been a very stressful time. As you can imagine.

Anyways because of his "difficulties" he finds the smallest most mundane things so upseting. One day it was cause his younger brother (4) couldn't save the balls in the goal. Today it was a passing joke with his friends. Sometimes it's because he can't manage a jigsaw or game.

Generally after these things happen, he can't speak as he's overwhelmed with tears from anger, hurt and basic upsetness... don't think that's a word but anyways. The only way he will communicate is through passing notes with me under his door.

Things have been getting slowly more intense and worse over the summer and I'm praying things might calm down once he gets back to school (which he can't wait to get back to). But today knocked me for 6. Like I said he often talks about being somewhere or someone else. But it shocked me when he wished himself dead.

Needless to say my anxiety is through the roof and I'm afraid my depression may reoccur. I'm binge eating to help deal with the stress and in doing so have put on a full 1 and a half stone since start of the summer. Which isn't helping things either.

It's just all up in the air at the minute.

Advertisement