Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anxiety and depression thread (Please read OP)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

While i knew tonight would be a bit tough and stressful at work i completely underestimated it.. Just had a particular intrusive thought come crashing into my brain and i haven't had it in eight or so months i'd say.

Can you do some quick Mindfullness techniques to help?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,473 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

mansize wrote: »
    Can you do some quick Mindfullness techniques to help?

Trying my damned hardest but it's pretty unrelenting here this evening. Hoping to tough it through and go to ground on my time off. Thanks though..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭daithi7

Trying my damned hardest but it's pretty unrelenting here this evening. Hoping to tough it through and go to ground on my time off. Thanks though..

well take care.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,473 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Thanks Mansize, how are you doing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭Shint0

Moo, sorry to hear you are not feeling so good at the moment. Once somebody starts on an antidepressant the doctor will usually tell them to come back in a couple of weeks to see how they are progressing. Sometimes dosages can need adjusting and tweaking if there is no improvement after the first prescribed dose because it's not a hard science. That's often how it works when you start on meds.

If you feel you are not having a positive experience with your GP you could try to change to another although the reality in this country is that a lot of GPs are oversubscribed and not taking on new patients. If you have taken on board some of their other suggestions and still no improvement try to be firm with them and communicate what you are feeling. You could also bring your partner or somebody with you for support as well so they can let the GP know how your life is affected. Hopefully you will start to see some improvement soon.

Grem, hope things improve for you soon too. You seem to be having a rough old time of it at the moment.

Thanks Mansize, how are you doing?

Me? Excited about looking forward to my new job- but I can drift from elation to dispear quick enough

I'm not sleeping at night ATM either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,929 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Hope the silence today is a sign things are going better for everyone.

If not, I hope they will improve soon.

I've gone to ground like i said i would. Only just online again for a bit to check in..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭La.de.da

I'm finding this time of year quite trying. I'm very much a winter person but find the transitioning difficult.
    The whole atmosphere feels heavy as do my thoughts and body... heavy and sluggish. I'm very dazed and confused if that makes sense.

I turned off all Internet devices last night for hours and will do the same tonight. Actually really helped to be quiet and alone with my thoughts.

Hope the rest of the week treats you all well.

• Advertisement

La.de.da wrote: »
    I'm finding this time of year quite trying. I'm very much a winter person but find the transitioning difficult.
    The whole atmosphere feels heavy as do my thoughts and body... heavy and sluggish. I'm very dazed and confused if that makes sense.

I turned off all Internet devices last night for hours and will do the same tonight. Actually really helped to be quiet and alone with my thoughts.

Hope the rest of the week treats you all well.
    I hate autumn. I hate winter. Give me perpetual spring in this country. Twelve months of April and then I'm happy.

I'm trying to do the internet thing too, La.de.da. Some days I have more success than others but as I don't sleep very well I always find myself on the internet in the small hours but sometimes do fall asleep then wake up and discover I am still logged on here.

I have a sleep study coming up. Not directly related to my insomniac behaviour but it will be interesting to see what it throws up. I don't even need to use my dawn simulator bodyclock device anymore as these days I'm well awake before needing to get up. I did have some success with it in the past so I don't entirely rule them out but trying to stay positive for the inevitable winter slump I know is coming down the tracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭norwegianwood

My confidence has gotten so low, it's getting to the point that I never want to leave the house because every interaction I have with other people is so difficult for me, I feel so drained.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

My confidence has gotten so low, it's getting to the point that I never want to leave the house because every interaction I have with other people is so difficult for me, I feel so drained.

So sorry to hear that.

Interacting with people shouldn't be such a struggle but unfortunately it is for many of us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭ivytwine

Ah sorry to hear that my friend. I have often felt like that from when I was like a young teenager, it's terrible to feel drained and irritated by others.

Also I hope everyone else is ok, I do think of you all x

I haven't posted in a while, counselling is going well and I'm negotiating through stuff. I have made the decision to legally change my surname, I have never liked it and it's not a relative's name anyway (long story). This actually has made me feel a lot better about myself. Need to see a solicitor asap.

I have found that Facebook has become a bit of a trigger for me- I think I will start to hide certain people and leave groups. I am on it a lot less than I used to be, there is a group I check in with which is like a balm to the soul (artists and writers) but the feed is awful. Today I saw a thread on the poor chap who died at Stephens Green yesterday and some of the comments were very upsetting.

Work is still causing me a lot of unhappiness, I will try and live with it for the meantime, finding time to update my CV and apply elsewhere is hard. I like my colleagues but I'm not happy with my role or pay.

The man that I dated in the summer with his own issues is pretty much constantly on my mind as well. I don't feel ready to date at the moment and what's more I don't think it's fair... Counsellor has told me that it's ok for me to be upset and hurt, and I need to stop berating myself. I had a dream where I was in a car with him (we've never even been in a taxi together, city slickers that we are!) and he was driving in horrible traffic with exaggerated nightmarish versions of the Luas works. I helped him negotiate a tricky spot and we high-fived and he took my hand and held it :( It felt so real. Damn my brain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭failinis

Me and a friend had to report a guy to the police today, just extremely creepy behaviour and its just shook me up so much.
    I had a similar experience years ago and it feels like it happened yesterday.

Psych appointment today went v well. Delighted I had gotten a job, said it will help me get more confidence and having a proper routine.

Yay mansize! Sorry to hear about the creep failinis, things like that can be very unsettling.

Just found out my landlord is in receivership... Mind automatically goes to the worst case scenario in these things :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭Notsomindful

So so tired today. Fed up of every thing goinhg wrong. I am starting to wonder what i have done in a past life.

Aaaaaaaah!
    /rant

Have a good day peeps

mansize wrote: »
    Psych appointment today went v well. Delighted I had gotten a job, said it will help me get more confidence and having a proper routine.
    Congrats on that, mansize. Hope new job goes well for you. It's always good to get a break.

Back from hiding on my days off. How are ye?.

• Advertisement

Back from hiding on my days off. How are ye?.

Awful today tbh Grem.... Hope you're feeling ok today.

ivytwine wrote: »
    Awful today tbh Grem.... Hope you're feeling ok today.
    I read about your landlord, you've got rights there so try not to let it get to you. Also there is an accommodation forum where you could look stuff up or ask questions. Hugs your way.

I read about your landlord, you've got rights there so try not to let it get to you. Also there is an accommodation forum where you could look stuff up or ask questions. Hugs your way.

Thanks <3 I'm strangely not that worried about it now that I've got over the shock. It's just another way for my life to go on fire.

Work is driving me INSANE at the moment. It's probably not the best time to move but I have to do something or I'll snap totally.

Work is awful my side lately too. You have my sympathies for all the good that is!. Glad you got over the shock. Heading back in later and dreading in..

I can relate. More so the people aspect. Unnecessary ****.

Work is awful my side lately too. You have my sympathies for all the good that is!. Glad you got over the shock. Heading back in later and dreading in..

Aw no that's one of the worst feelings. I hope it changes for us both soon.
    I can relate. More so the people aspect. Unnecessary ****.

I actually like my colleagues most of the time but the company is turning from somewhere pretty good to work, if a bit tight with pay, to somewhere horrible to work. So many people are leaving and I think I might be joining them.

Just feeling very anxious and thinking there is a good chance I may go missing at some stage in the future.

failinis wrote: »
    Just feeling very anxious and thinking there is a good chance I may go missing at some stage in the future.

Oh failinis I'm sorry to hear you're feeling like that. Hang on, you have listening ears here.

I actually like my colleagues most of the time but the company is turning from somewhere pretty good to work, if a bit tight with pay, to somewhere horrible to work. So many people are leaving and I think I might be joining them.

Thankfully there are a few there that I deeply care about. :) Unfortunately there are some there that are the sourest people I've ever had the displeasure of interacting at.

I'm sorry to hear that your place is after changing there.

• Advertisement

Oh failinis I'm sorry to hear you're feeling like that. Hang on, you have listening ears here.

It will work out fine.

Advertisement