Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and depression thread (Please read OP)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

Jaws are trying to clamp shut.. Haven't missed meds or been under any extra pressure so I'm pretty frustrated with this..

Jesus, that sounds very distressing. :( *hugs*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

Having a feeling like I can't swallow all week, So I decided to google it and of course it's anxiety related. Jesus can I never get a break from it ffs...

carzony wrote: »
    Having a feeling like I can't swallow all week, So I decided to google it and of course it's anxiety related. Jesus can I never get a break from it ffs...

That sounds rough, C. I hope it passes soon for you.

I get this nasty gagging sensation when I'm really anxious. It makes me start to heave. Very embarrassing. Getting the sensation causes my anxiety to spike. I usually carry a drink with me nearly constantly because of this, in an effort to keep it at bay.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

I get that on and off too. Dr google is an ass but sure we all know that really..

Hugo, it's not nice but I've had it on and off for a long time so it's more frustrating than anything.. How are you doing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

Jaws are trying to clamp shut.. Haven't missed meds or been under any extra pressure so I'm pretty frustrated with this..
    I know that feeling the past few months. It's really weird. I don't like it.

• Advertisement

I get that on and off too. Dr google is an ass but sure we all know that really..

Hugo, it's not nice but I've had it on and off for a long time so it's more frustrating than anything.. How are you doing?

Not too shabby this evening, Grem. Thanks. :)

Man, anxiety is bad enough but hearing of so many people having these horrible physical symptoms is, well, depressing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Turtle_

Man, anxiety is bad enough but hearing of so many people having these horrible physical symptoms is, well, depressing!

I'm currently in kinda the opposite boat... Physical symptoms (arrhythmia, tachycardia) that I think are nothing to do with anxiety but are being blamed on it and thus being diminished :mad:

It's so frustrating trying to explain that when the palpitations were happening I was just not anxious. (I was happy because I thought I was dying, but that's a different thing altogether :p)

Turtle_ wrote: »
    I'm currently in kinda the opposite boat... Physical symptoms (arrhythmia, tachycardia) that I think are nothing to do with anxiety but are being blamed on it and thus being diminished :mad:

It's so frustrating trying to explain that when the palpitations were happening I was just not anxious. (I was happy because I thought I was dying, but that's a different thing altogether :p)

Sorry to hear that, Turtle. I hope they take it seriously soon. x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Hope things improve for you guys soon.

Another horrific day here.

I am completely worn out from everything. I don't know how much more I can take, before crumbling completely. I need a break. I need something to go right for me, even just one thing.

Worst weekend in a while for the head acting up.

Hope ye are all getting on ok there.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Hugs Hugo, hopefully it passes soon for you.

Worst weekend in a while for the head acting up.

Hope ye are all getting on ok there.

Sorry to hear, anything in particular this weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Keane2baMused

Hi all,

Just had a read through the whole thread! It's great to see such an open discussion on a topic this country is still so closed about.

So I'm a 30 year old woman, mum to two and I have had depression, GAD, PND, PMDD and as if that's not enough..an eating disorder for the guts of 14 years. Thankfully my ED is under control the past couple of years. Depression and anxiety however can rear its ugly head at any point.

I've had some extraordinarily low points over the years. It would be nice to chat to those in similar circumstances.

Lady is a Tramp your posts about Pats are like reading extracts of my past. I spent some time there also previously. Unfortunately my experience wasn't too great. I was put on an ED programme (outpatient one but while an inpatient..I stayed in a general ward). And just when things started to improve, one day out of the blue myself and another woman were taken off the programme and sent back to our rooms. Told that hospital policy had just changed and you couldn't attend the day programme while an inpatient.

It really knocked me for six. My consultant discharged me a few days later and they wanted me to come back in every day. I lived almost an hour from the hospital so that wasn't going to happen! I never went back after and just had to slog along myself.

Right now I'm ticking along. Some days are good and some are terrible.

Anyway enough about me. I hope everyone else is having as good a day as they can. Hugo, Stripedboxers and turtle I hope things seem lighter for you all soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

Nurses got sleeping tablets for me, wow, I just had the best nights sleep EVER! Didn't even get up for breakfast, I'm still in bed! :) No dodgy dreams either. Feeling so good after it!

Hugs Hugo, hopefully it passes soon for you.

Thanks, Grem.
    Sorry to hear, anything in particular this weekend?

Thanks. Just a mixture of work and personal stuff. It seems to feel a lot worse at night for some reason.

How ye all are getting on ok there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 dougalbear

Low self esteem issue is festering with a long time.I have attended counselling with two counsellors a couple of years apart for a considerable duration of time with both. It's like nothing sticks with me in terms of advice offered.

There and then in the session what realisations I put forward to the counsellor gives them the impression that I am coming on, but by midweek I have returned to negative thinking and self destructive dialogue in my head. Their patience wears thin and more less leave at that don't ask when I want to make a follow up appointment.

Family are pushing me to go to a life coach, right now I feel so tense about going to a life coach and rehashing back over a decade of crap that has me where I am today.

Does anyone relate to what I am saying or does it make sense at all?

dougalbear wrote: »
    Low self esteem issue is festering with a long time.I have attended counselling with two counsellors a couple of years apart for a considerable duration of time with both. It's like nothing sticks with me in terms of advice offered.

There and then in the session what realisations I put forward to the counsellor gives them the impression that I am coming on, but by midweek I have returned to negative thinking and self destructive dialogue in my head. Their patience wears thin and more less leave at that don't ask when I want to make a follow up appointment.

Family are pushing me to go to a life coach, right now I feel so tense about going to a life coach and rehashing back over a decade of crap that has me where I am today.

Does anyone relate to what I am saying or does it make sense at all?

Wouldn't bother with life coaching... There's one in my extended family and she's legit the biggest screw up in the whole extended family, has put her kid through hell and then has the gall to tell others what they should be doing...

It might be worth trying a different type of therapy to the type you used before?

Heyo Dougal, have you been to a doctor?. Not sure from your post but counselling can be hit or miss especially if it's not targeting a specific thing for you. I also went to a counsellor for some time and found my experience similar to yours - thing just wouldn't stick. Also sometimes I came out feeling 'strange' for want of a better word.. Then I was referred to the psychiatry out patients by my doc and while it's been very slow it's been well worth it..

Morning all...

Another long and sleepless night for me, another day, another battle ahead...

Hope you all have a great day :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 dougalbear

My doctor prescribes me for anxiety when I feel my back is to the wall. All I can do is keep going forward and seeking therapy until I reach some state of satisfaction with myself. Thank you both for taking the time to reply to me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭get a room

Wouldn't bother with life coaching... There's one in my extended family and she's legit the biggest screw up in the whole extended family, has put her kid through hell and then has the gall to tell others what they should be doing...

It might be worth trying a different type of therapy to the type you used before?

I concur.

Went to the doctors only to be told he never made the appointment over the phone last week. Waited 30 mins in waiting room just to be told that. One mess up after another with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭bridgettedon

Went to the doctors only to be told he never made the appointment over the phone last week. Waited 30 mins in waiting room just to be told that. One mess up after another with them.

Very very unprofessional. It's one thing after another with them. Go to a new doctor if you can.

Jaysus, that's disgraceful carry on! :mad:

I ended up leaving in the end without even consulting the receptionist.. I'm gonna ring tomorrow and demand a house visit.. Let him suffer the inconvienience..

Have to say from what I have seen there is just no help from these people.. I think i'll have to claim my situation is worse than it is to get any kind fo assistance....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Keane2baMused

Anyone ever have days were suddenly things hit you like a tonne of bricks?

Today is like that. From 0 -> 360 at the blink of a teary eye.

*hugs* Carzony, sorry to hear that, its scandalous carry on by that doctor.

Is seeing or switching to another GP an option for you?

I hope you get some help soon, I've my fingers crossed for you. :)

Anyone ever have days were suddenly things hit you like a tonne of bricks?

Today is like that. From 0 -> 360 at the blink of a teary eye.

Sorry to hear you've had a rough day there. If you want to talk it out, we're all here to listen.

Another rough day, got a last minute appointment to see my occupational therapist tomorrow thank god. Looking forward to that appointment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

What kind of work are you doing with your OT, if you don't mind me asking? Had my first appointment with mine today ... hard to know where to start!

Advertisement