Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anxiety and depression thread (Please read OP)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 sunbeam29

Unfortunately weaning off the meds is not an option. My doc and I tried it before and I got dramatically worse!
    But I know what you mean, it'd kind of like retracing your steps in case you missed something or took the wrong approach the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭BaaLamb

Basically lads, for those of us with ongoing mental health issues life sucks ass

• Registered Users Posts: 47 kodaline78

Hi all, apologies for the delay in responding, just have no energy at the moment. I was diagnosed with depression just over 10 years ago and having been seeing the same psychiatrist since.I have been on various anti- depressants during that time on effexor at the moment. I have also been to Psychologists and undertaken CBT treatment which i found excellent at the time. However I have noticed as i get older my depressive episodes worsen and have more lasting effects on me. While anti depressants have stabilised my mood during this time and my quality of life has been much better than pre 2005 I'm really starting to notice how bad my short term memory has become and my concentration is nearly non existant. I am a doing an evening course once a week and even though i study the material for the following week's class its like my brain has been wiped clean of all that i have learned. Also I have noticed that I am getting more stressed about little things as I get older even though i had learned techniques about managing stress. Its like the medication has dulled my senses and impaired my thinking and motivation, it has allowed me just to plod along .Finally I am thinking of going to see an Occupational Therapist just wondering if anyone has any feedback from their own experiences. Hope this post isn't rambling too much.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

sunbeam29 wrote: »
    Unfortunately weaning off the meds is not an option. My doc and I tried it before and I got dramatically worse!
    But I know what you mean, it'd kind of like retracing your steps in case you missed something or took the wrong approach the first time.

All i can say is stay with it.. I'm in treatment many years and i hit patches where i feel so damn low i don't know what to do.. Stay the course, look at day to day because that's what it needs sometimes. Take care

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭mrsmags16

sunbeam29 wrote: »
    So since my official diagnosis four years ago (depression with suicidal tendencies) I've undergone just about all the treatments our country has to offer. I'm on the medication, I've tried the CBT, I'm seeing the therapists, I've done the exercise/meditation/journal-ling, improved my diet, gone on the vitamins.

I have an excellent doctor who doesn't believe in bullsh*t and has given many 'mental health professionals' an absolute hiding for not pulling their weight when it came to my treatment in the past.

Despite all this, I feel worse than ever.
    Is there something I'm missing?
    Some super secret treatment?

I'd love some advice because I have a lot of people depending on me recovering/feeling better.

Revise the diagnosis would be my first port of call?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,872 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

kodaline78 wrote: »
    Hi all, apologies for the delay in responding, just have no energy at the moment. I was diagnosed with depression just over 10 years ago and having been seeing the same psychiatrist since.I have been on various anti- depressants during that time on effexor at the moment. I have also been to Psychologists and undertaken CBT treatment which i found excellent at the time. However I have noticed as i get older my depressive episodes worsen and have more lasting effects on me. While anti depressants have stabilised my mood during this time and my quality of life has been much better than pre 2005 I'm really starting to notice how bad my short term memory has become and my concentration is nearly non existant. I am a doing an evening course once a week and even though i study the material for the following week's class its like my brain has been wiped clean of all that i have learned. Also I have noticed that I am getting more stressed about little things as I get older even though i had learned techniques about managing stress. Its like the medication has dulled my senses and impaired my thinking and motivation, it has allowed me just to plod along .Finally I am thinking of going to see an Occupational Therapist just wondering if anyone has any feedback from their own experiences. Hope this post isn't rambling too much.

diagnosed with dyslexia some time ago, was recommended to listen in class while writing little or nothing. a major problem with dyslexia is short term memory beleive it or not. its very frustrating. was also given a scribe(device for recording audio). id highly recommend this approach to learning. modern phones generally have good voice recording software, maybe record your classes(might be a good idea to inform lecture beforehand), and you can listen back till your heart's content. its very effective for me. best of luck with the studies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭failinis

Been very oddly sore today (pressure in my neck) so called 111 (the minor out of hours helpline in England) and the guy who answered was so rude and said "I can't understand your accent at all - I need someone else to phone you."

Listen - I know some people can't understand any accent that is not BBC but the manner in which he said stuff was not that good.

I hate phone calls as it is and feel really bad. I feel very confused, people were saying I was very forgetful and I may have a fever possibly so need to take a paracetamol.

Very concerned about my current project, I feel like throwing up talking about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭pew

I did a top up session with my counsellor last night.

Definitely opened Pandoras Box.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭trixychic

failinis wrote: »
    Been very oddly sore today (pressure in my neck) so called 111 (the minor out of hours helpline in England) and the guy who answered was so rude and said "I can't understand your accent at all - I need someone else to phone you."

Listen - I know some people can't understand any accent that is not BBC but the manner in which he said stuff was not that good.

I hate phone calls as it is and feel really bad. I feel very confused, people were saying I was very forgetful and I may have a fever possibly so need to take a paracetamol.

Very concerned about my current project, I feel like throwing up talking about it.

Well he was clearly expertly training to be on that line.... NOT. What an a-hole. Sorry you had to deal with that!!! Not

pew wrote: »
    I did a top up session with my counsellor last night.

Definitely opened Pandoras Box.

That must have been tough. Hope your ok.

• Advertisement

So. Lying here with quite a serious kidney infection. My own fault really. I thought I could flush it out myself. But the doctor said I should have come in sooner.

I can't walk proper with the pain. It's like I slipped a disc but in my left kidney. Could my even make my 2 sons dinner today. Had to supervise my 7 yr old while he made them both toast.

Had quite a high temperature tonight too. Nearly 39 deg C. Had to get my OH to hold my toes while I slept sitting up with a bucket on my lap for the nausea. That was at about 8pm. Nearly 12 now and I woke up only to find that OH won't sleep in the bed for fear of rising my temp higher. He's so good to me. I love him to bits.

Boys are gonna have to take tomorrow off school as I am in no fit state to drive. OH is gonna take the car to work and I will probably use my 7 yr old again to help get things done. Feeling like a pretty crappy mom right now. And so guilty. OH told me to the doctor on Monday!!! But I dodnt listen.

trixychic wrote: »
    Well he was clearly expertly training to be on that line.... NOT. What an a-hole. Sorry you had to deal with that!!! Not

Yeah, I was too weak to be furious but I feel it now!

I thankfully don't have kidney infection but I also had a fever, which explains me feeling very confused and a bit out of it yesterday. Back to normal now.

Hows you today trix? I hope your less in pain.
    ----

Minor update on my friend who was back to self harming/very down lately.

She was looking to get a dog, she pinned so much hope it - her land lady finally replied a few days ago saying no dog, fish, hamster, cat etc, nothing.

My friend was not speaking to anyone till yesterday night.
    I said why don't you get a hamster/gerbil/rats/mice - small cage pet that you can let run around with supervision?
    She is now planning to get one of those type pets - her flat mates though, one is a utter **** and may report back that she has these pets.

My land lady is an angel, and she told me if I wanted I could keep my friends possible pets in my room, so long as they are like "caged" rodent style animals.
    And that she (land lady) would look after them over summer when I go back to Ireland and my friend goes back to her country.
    What a bloody angel.

So I feel excited for her - but also need my friend to stop and think and not buy the first small furry she sees. We are all worried about her.
    But at leasts she will get a small creature, be it living with me or at hers.

---

I feel drained my fever, its gone now but still blah.
    I need to do SO much uni work so thats what I am doing constant till next Friday. I have no solid ideas right now and feels like everyone in my class has 100s.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

trixychic wrote:
    Feeling like a pretty crappy mom right now.

Actually, it seems to me like you've raised a pretty special 7 year old. You should be proud. :)

Wilberto wrote: »
    Actually, it seems to me like you've raised a pretty special 7 year old. You should be proud. :)

He is fantastic. When I need to walk anywhere hr puts my hand on his shoulder and guides me, he made him and his brother brekky this morning. And he has ASD. But I can really trust him. He's such a great boy!!!

Ha also when I'm going toilet (parents have no privacy whatsoever) if I sound like I'm in pain, both my boys come running to cuddle me and rub my back. 7 and 4 and already caring for their mother. Oh God!!! Ha.

I don't want to talk about it but stuff has me down.
    Hopefully it passes soon.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Not a good day. Stressed and drained more than usual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭murria

failinis wrote: »
    I don't want to talk about it but stuff has me down.
    Hopefully it passes soon.

Thoughts going out to you x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭murria

Sorry to hear that. Hopefully thinks get back to normal asap xx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

Starting on venlafaxine tomorrow but im worried about side effects. Man growing up as a kid i never knew life was going to be this hard i just feel so out of place and disconnected from everything even myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭1moo345

Appearantly not a good day for anyone. Feel desperate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,927 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

mg1982 wrote:
    Starting on venlafaxine tomorrow but im worried about side effects. Man growing up as a kid i never knew life was going to be this hard i just feel so out of place and disconnected from everything even myself.

Well hopefully the benefits of the meds will outweigh any negative side effects. I was on Venlafaxine and didn't find the side effects too severe.
    1moo345 wrote:
    Appearantly not a good day for anyone. Feel desperate

Anything in particular 1moo345?

mg1982 wrote: »

I take venlafaxine, this is my second time on it and I can honestly say I have had no side effects while on it. I take it morning and evening now and it really helped me deal with the appalling low I was feeling every morning. Try not to worry about side effects and just give it a go :) Let us know how you are getting on with it.

trixychic wrote: »
    He is fantastic. When I need to walk anywhere hr puts my hand on his shoulder and guides me, he made him and his brother brekky this morning. And he has ASD. But I can really trust him. He's such a great boy!!!

Ha also when I'm going toilet (parents have no privacy whatsoever) if I sound like I'm in pain, both my boys come running to cuddle me and rub my back. 7 and 4 and already caring for their mother. Oh God!!! Ha.

Hi Trixychic, how are you feeling today? I hope the kidney infection has cleared up and you are feeling a lot better. Your seven year old sounds like a lovely little boy, in fact both both sound like they are kind, thoughtful little boys and a credit to their parents.

I'm still a bit up and down myself, psychiatrist wanted to add another anti-depressant in for me to take but I resisted for now as I don't think it really will be more medication that sorts me out. I just need life to give us a bit of a break and OH to get a half decent job to take some pressure off me. I feel really bad for OH too as his confidence is really taking a beating at the moment. On top of that his very elderly parents, who live in UK,are rapidly declining in health at the moment and he has been, understandably, very upset about them. So all in all I guess life continues to be pretty tough and challenging which doesn't help my mental health. Constant struggle really.

Hope today is a better day. Some days are just particularly crappy.

I spent last night in A&E with pain. Turns out i OD'd on pain killers trying to get rid of the kidney infection. Which turned out to be a bladder infection that sent my body into spasms. So much pain!!! Got released at 6am this morning with anti spasmic meds and a very strong antibiotic.

But I spent all night in a trolley in a&e. A guy came in who'd OD on drugs and when they revived him he was walking around asking for a smoke or a pack of rolos. He even was talking to me and my OH. Then another guy came in who was stabbed and he died about 7ft away from me. Traumatic night!!! Feelig weird today.

That sounds pretty full on. I hope the pain meds and antibiotics work well for you now you poor thing. Rest up as much as you can, stay warm and plenty of fluids!

Oh my jaysis Trixy, all the thoughts your way that's crazy stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Well I've been on the happy pills for three months now.
    Three months after nearly ending it all I'm getting back to my old self.
    I've started new hobbies and am enjoying things that were pointless to me before.

No one knows what I did and that I'm on antidepressants.
    I'm happy keeping it that way.
    I realise alcohol was also a Huge problem.
    Onwards and upwards.
    Life can be bright again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,927 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

No one knows what I did and that I'm on antidepressants. I'm happy keeping it that way. I realise alcohol was also a Huge problem. Onwards and upwards. Life can be bright again.

Delighted to read a post like this.
    Well done.
    Thanks for posting.

• Advertisement

Cody that was lovely to read and i'm delighted you're recovering so well.. This thread can seem a bit dark at times, thanks for reminding us all about the possibilities :)

Advertisement