Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anxiety and depression thread (Please read OP)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭trixychic

Oh my jaysis Trixy, all the thoughts your way that's crazy stuff.

It really was crazy. It was even on the news. It has totally shook me now. I don't know why but feeling very stunned all today.

As for the pain in on the mend. Plenty of resting and water. Sick of waterwith the amount in drinking now.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Glad you are physically recovering, as for the rest, take your time that would have taken a lot out of anyone.. Be nice to yourself and get a lot of rest..

Glad you are physically recovering, as for the rest, take your time that would have taken a lot out of anyone.. Be nice to yourself and get a lot of rest..

Gonna try to. Thanks Guys. Hope everyone here is ok. Prob won't be of great use to any of you now for the next few days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭failinis

Just stressed myself out with thoughts as always.
    Will I be a failed artist, will I pass my degree, will I go to Ireland again or stay away, will I need to go to court over stalker, am I seriously ill, how long do my tests result come back, will I ever get a job, will I be homeless, how long would I be able to stay at home, will I have a pension, will I be able to have normal relationships again. etc

Like - see how silly and blown up it is?

Been in pain with IBS and joints and other things the past few days.
    I am also thinking i am coming down with an illness (cold/flu/ear ache) etc but its only starting off.

Feel behind in my college projects and stressed and no time for dr appointments all week due to uni work.

Someone told me I worry too much about my friend but they don't understand - the more I think about someone elses problems the less time I have for mine.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Very hard to know what's beneficial sometimes. In a bad way this evening, head is just a mess.. I know it's bad when a few people i don't know ask if i'm ok or look at me strangely, just going to cling on to tangible things i hope it passes..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭bridgettedon

Very hard to know what's beneficial sometimes. In a bad way this evening, head is just a mess.. I know it's bad when a few people i don't know ask if i'm ok or look at me strangely, just going to cling on to tangible things i hope it passes..

I don't know if this in anyway helps but strangers cared enough to look at you and ask if eveything was alright. I know it's probably awful at the time but sometimes I feel better from little things that other people do or say. Besides that I hope everone has a relatively peaceful night and week ahead of them.

failinis wrote: »
    Just stressed myself out with thoughts as always.
    Will I be a failed artist, will I pass my degree, will I go to Ireland again or stay away, will I need to go to court over stalker, am I seriously ill, how long do my tests result come back, will I ever get a job, will I be homeless, how long would I be able to stay at home, will I have a pension, will I be able to have normal relationships again. etc

Like - see how silly and blown up it is?

I totally get that. Only I'm like... will I be able to keep my 2 boys safe?? What if Yellowstone park erupts?? How do I keep them alive??? What if there is a zombie/biological outbreak??? How do I keep them alive??? What if that effing cliff in the caneriesfalls off and Ireland is swallowed in a humongous tidal wave?? How do I keep them alive???

I swear I have looked up info on how to survive each and every one of these and if I come into a wind fall, ALL necessary precautions for these and other disasters will be built into my house on a 2 acre piece of land.

I know how silly and blown up things can get. And how you lose sleep over things that others call "stupid". But just because they say that or call me out on it doesn't stop my mind from doing it.

Guys yous all Seem to be having a tough time. (Maybe there is something in the air). Thank you for staying with us on this page though. It's silly and funny but hearing that I'm not the only turning into a manic raving mad hermit is comforting.... unless yous don't feel any of those things.

Keep on posting. We can get through all this together. Xxx

I love your post above about disasters and how to survive, i'm always preparing for accidents and crashes as i go about day to day life.. Monitoring where fire exits are, hammers to break glass on buses, extinguishers in buildings and even being very particular where i sit in any place. That's the tip of the iceberg really but as you said it's great to hear other people go through this..

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Fingers crossed. For myself, can't see it happening the way I feel presently, but hopefully I'm wrong.

In times like this, it's just about putting one foot in front of the other and just get through the few days as best and as safely as you can until the dark cloud passes...and it will pass.

• Advertisement

I love your post above about disasters and how to survive, i'm always preparing for accidents and crashes as i go about day to day life.. Monitoring where fire exits are, hammers to break glass on buses, extinguishers in buildings and even being very particular where i sit in any place. That's the tip of the iceberg really but as you said it's great to hear other people go through this..

Oh Grem that's just scratching the surface as you said. My family roll their eyes at me all the time. But I can't stop it. I know how to best improve your chances of surviving an avalanche (even though we live in Ireland and I never been anywhere near that much snow), how to escape for dangerous animals, how to escape if I'm kidnapped or how to find the boys id they are kidnapped. I did a first aid course a few yrs back and I kept being told "we're not trying to be doctors here". Its constant.

Now in the actual situation it'll probably all fly out of my head and I'll be useless... but i can't help it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

Wilberto wrote: »
    In times like this, it's just about putting one foot in front of the other and just get through the few days as best and as safely as you can until the dark cloud passes...and it will pass.

Thanks for the kind words.

Been doing that. Never gets me out from under the storm. Even when I put on a happy brave face, my toxic nature oozes through and offends people. Just sick of it now. It's even affecting my dreams now, so can't even escape it for a nights sleep.

Nice post Wilberto, staying the course when the wind is totally against you is doing the best you can until it passes.. Take care Hugo..

Thanks for the kind words.

Been doing that. Never gets me out from under the storm. Even when I put on a happy brave face, my toxic nature oozes through and offends people. Just sick of it now. It's even affecting my dreams now, so can't even escape it for a nights sleep.

Hugo it's not YOUR toxic nature.. it's your illness. You are a grwat person with an illness that hinders and hides your true wonderful self. Remember. The toxic that oozes through IS NOT YOU!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

Thank you all. Ye are some of the good ones out there. x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,402 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

A lot of people talking but I don't see the reasons why . There has to be a reason..

A lot of people talking but I don't see the reasons why . There has to be a reason..

What do you mean??? Like what's the reason they are feeling like this???

trixychic wrote: »
    What do you mean??? Like what's the reason they are feeling like this???

Yes
    What's your reason for example.
    What would make you happy ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,927 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Yes What's your reason for example. What would make you happy ..

Thread softly BorneTobyWilde.

I hope you're not implying people don't have valid reasons for suffering from Anxiety or Depression.

Take it from me, it's not a choice.

Yes
    What's your reason for example.
    What would make you happy ..

Well this really is a discussion thread, there are a lot of people trying to work out the whys etc but it's not that easy.. The brain is so complex i wonder will there ever be all the answers to why.

As for your second question, well that's what we'd all like to know!. Millions spent on medicines, medical professionals, books, hobbies etc trying to find out where the happiness is.. It's just too big a question really.. That's why here is discussion, support and some venting.

• Advertisement

Thread softly BorneTobyWilde.

I hope you're not implying people don't have valid reasons for suffering from Anxiety or Depression.

Take it from me, it's not a choice.

I'm not having a go trust me. I just think that most people could express what would make them happy, and what it is that makes them depressed. Has to be a reason, or maybe it's just me with the reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭bridgettedon

I'm not having a go trust me. I just think that most people could express what would make them happy, and what it is that makes them depressed. Has to be a reason, or maybe it's just me with the reasons.

I think when I was at my worst nothing could ever make me happy. I needed medication and therapy to help me to get to a better place mentally to even consider happiness a possibility in my life.

I can give a numerous reasons of why I was depressed. Does that make any of them true. I don't know what made me depressed or why this happened to me. Maybe for some its clear but not for me and many others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭La.de.da

There are or is no one reason why one might be depressed. A chemical/hormone imbalance in the brain would be a clinical explanation.

Ones life story, upbringing, a traumatic event or non of the above can trigger it.

It's personal to each individual though common symptoms afflict many. The recovery is personal too though many treatments are the same.

When your mind is good you can find happiness in the smallest of things ie having a shower and looking after yourself. Treating yourself to that bottle of perfume you've wanted. Being able to make and stick to a decision.

I think when I was at my worst nothing could ever make me happy. I needed medication and therapy to help me to get to a better place mentally to even consider happiness a possibility in my life.

I can give a numerous reasons of why I was depressed. Does that make any of them true. I don't know what made me depressed or why this happened to me. Maybe for some its clear but not for me and many others.

So your daily life is fine, you would change nothing, nothing to complain about or get depressed about.

So your daily life is fine, you would change nothing, nothing to complain about or get depressed about.

If it was that easy to simplify down to then we would probably have discovered a cure many, many years ago and wouldn't be having this conversation.. Some days i'll smile when i see a daisy on the side of the road, other days i won't see it at all because my mind is overwhelmed, yet other days i'll kick out at the daisy resenting it for for sitting there so carefree..
    By the way, that's just my experience and only a fraction of it at that.. Mental health is just far, far to big to boil down like this.. I've often been sat up nights in mental and physical pain wishing i knew why.

Just because your life is fine and you have nothing to complain about does not mean you have nothing to get depressed about.

My depression was a chemical imbalance. I could win the lotto and still be depressed.

I'm not sure you are quite getting the point of these illnesses. It isn't a choice. It's a curse that we can't control.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭failinis

trixychic wrote: »
    I totally get that. Only I'm like... will I be able to keep my 2 boys safe?? What if Yellowstone park erupts?? How do I keep them alive??? What if there is a zombie/biological outbreak??? How do I keep them alive??? What if that effing cliff in the caneriesfalls off and Ireland is swallowed in a humongous tidal wave?? How do I keep them alive???

I swear I have looked up info on how to survive each and every one of these and if I come into a wind fall, ALL necessary precautions for these and other disasters will be built into my house on a 2 acre piece of land.

I know how silly and blown up things can get. And how you lose sleep over things that others call "stupid". But just because they say that or call me out on it doesn't stop my mind from doing it.

You should see me when I have to fly home, f*ck me, horrific so I am :eek:

Almost everyday its what I posted yesterday, that level of stuff, but the odd times I will get again like the natural disasters, or when I have to go to London its "will this blasted tube be blown up" and fearing terrorist events.
    Wont stop me using the tube or buses etc etc but on edge the whole time.
    The biological outbreak is often on my mind for some reason?
    DO NOT GO THERE about that cliff in the caneries :eek: I thought I was the only weirdo worried about that ha.

Failinis well done for going to your classes. You are putting one foot in front of the other. It's the most any of US can hope to do.

As for feeling worried about those "crazy" things. Nope your not alone. As a matter of fact.... you are never alone. Woooooo

Sorry that was a lame attempt at a scary movie quote. I think. ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,321 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Depression is not a simple condition as you imply here, rather a highly complex condition that may be attributed to one or a multiplicity of factors that interact to produce depression, including a history of abuse, some medicine induced depression side effects, postpartum depression following childbirth, post traumatic stress syndrome, interpersonal conflict, loss of a loved one, genetics (e.g., family history of depression like bipolar manic-depression), major life changing events (losing job, etc.), serious and long term illnesses, substance abuse with depression side effects, etc. (the list goes on and on).

For example, if a person inherits bipolar manic-depression, simply knowing "what would make them happy" when they cycle down into depression can be absolutely ineffective because it can be largely a physiological condition beyond their control, and not a psychological one. When teen I was bipolar and burned through 2 shrinks along with meds, and thinking happy thoughts or doing happy things or swallowing happy pills did not help me "Out of the night that covers me, black as the pit from pole to pole."

Depression continues to be researched by the medical and scholarly communities, but they have not discovered the simple silver bullet to end all depression, rather some patterns between variables that suggest treatment on a case-by-case basis, but with no guarantees (e.g., heavy daily exercise helped me a bit, but not completely). In regard to bipolar, the literature suggests that some people change physiologically and mentally as they grow and develop, and may lose all or part of the bipolar syndrome, which in my case I lost depressions early 20's, and became unipolar manic.

Since then, and in conjunction with a bit of CBT, I've discovered that if you can somehow channel manic episodes into creative or innovate projects, you may exceed all expectations and drive through to completion with stellar results (drive until ye drop). Then again, and continuing to speak anecdotally, manic episodes can lead to taking on projects that were impractical, or later undesired, so it's good to wait until the episode subsides before committing to a major project; e.g., sleep on it, and if it still sounds good in the morning, go for it.

Does this make any sense folks, or is this a side effect of drinking way too much java a few hours ago? :eek:

• Advertisement

Black Swan wrote: »
    Does this make any sense folks, or is this a side effect of drinking way too much java a few hours ago? :eek:

Nope your good. And spot on. Is java a coffee?? I'm going through an ice cream phase right now to help with my pain. Think it's making me a bit doolally too.

Advertisement