Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and depression thread (Please read OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

Oh I know precisely why I feel bad. That's not a problem. The problem is describing what 'bad' feels like. There are a lot of types of bad. The why is a doddle. Must think...

I mean depending on the day/hour/minute, there are physical, mental, emotional symptoms. Then other symptoms that I can't quite put in a particular box...

Scratching chin in thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

Well done man, take your time..

Thanks, Grem. x
    carzony wrote: »
    Very similar to myself mate, I've gone so far now it's gonna be very hard to get back into any kind of normality. I decided this morning to take no **** from anyone because I've been walked over again and again. I called the Doctors office only to get the ignorant receptionist telling me the doctor was busy all day and won't be able to get back to me, so, I told her I was making a complaint about the doctor and the way patients were being treated. He called me back in 5 minutes with an apology and appointment for his afternoon.

Only thing that seems to work with these people is threatening with complaints and legal action...

Nicely done, Carzony! Sometimes you have to get a bit angry like that. I hope the appointment goes well for you, my friend. :)
    mickstupp wrote: »
    Oh I know precisely why I feel bad. That's not a problem. The problem is describing what 'bad' feels like. There are a lot of types of bad. The why is a doddle. Must think...

I mean depending on the day/hour/minute, there are physical, mental, emotional symptoms. Then other symptoms that I can't quite put in a particular box...

Scratching chin in thought.

It's the other symptoms can the the worst ones to put the finger on. Feel free to flesh them out here with us if you want. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

He has given me Beta Blockers for now until a further assessment with the psychiatrist.

They are 'Half beta-prograne 80mg' anyone ever take them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭playedalive

I am so sick of anxiety and how it can just ruin my day. Slept in late as I struggled to get out of bed. Tried to keep myself occupied with making lunch and watching funny vids on youtube my friend sent me. Was in a calm mind after doing some mindfulness my counsellor prescribed. Was hoping to get out and practice driving (I'm a learner and just got insurance and lessons and all) when my Mum got home from work. Out of nowhere, I get terribly anxious in the car and I struggle to control the clutch, conk out and was overthinking it too much which meant driving around a quiet estate was a shambles. Just don't get why I make life so hard for myself. :confused::(

I am so sick of anxiety and how it can just ruin my day. Slept in late as I struggled to get out of bed. Tried to keep myself occupied with making lunch and watching funny vids on youtube my friend sent me. Was in a calm mind after doing some mindfulness my counsellor prescribed. Was hoping to get out and practice driving (I'm a learner and just got insurance and lessons and all) when my Mum got home from work. Out of nowhere, I get terribly anxious in the car and I struggle to control the clutch, conk out and was overthinking it too much which meant driving around a quiet estate was a shambles. Just don't get why I make life so hard for myself. :confused::(

So sorry to hear that you're going through that there.

You know, a lot of people, myself included, have the very same fear when it comes to driving. You will get better at controlling the clutch. In time, it'll become so natural for you. :)

I'm glad to hear that you were able to get yourself into a nice place with the mindfulness. I really need to get myself into that actually.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭whatismyname

Hi everyone. Triggers galore tonight... Isn't the world great? :D (Not)

Tucked up in bed with hot water bottle, and time to escape soon hopefully to sleepy land, yay.

Hope all as ok as possible.

Tucked up in bed with hot water bottle, and time to escape soon hopefully to sleepy land, yay.

Hopefully a good snooze will do the trick there.

Hopefully a good snooze will do the trick there.

Sleep really can be a great help. Gonna stick on some tv first though as it's a bit early yet. How are you doing?

Sleep really can be a great help. Gonna stick on some tv first though as it's a bit early yet. How are you doing?

A bit poopy recently but not too bad tonight though. Thanks for asking. :)

How's the week treating you so far otherwise?

A bit poopy recently but not too bad tonight though. Thanks for asking. :)

How's the week treating you so far otherwise?

Saw you were struggling a bit, so glad you're a bit better tonight.

Em, head's not great tonight ,but probably not been too bad overall. I shouldn't complain really.

• Advertisement

Saw you were struggling a bit, so glad you're a bit better tonight.

Em, head's not great tonight ,but probably not been too bad overall. I shouldn't complain really.

Thanks.

Complain all you want. Sometimes that works wonders!

Thanks.

Complain all you want. Sometimes that works wonders!

Aye, I promise I do complain a lot, lol :D

But just meaning, I do have a lot of positives, so really trying to focus on those at the moment, rather than getting caught up in the bad stuff.

Aye, I promise I do complain a lot, lol :D

But just meaning, I do have a lot of positives, so really trying to focus on those at the moment, rather than getting caught up in the bad stuff.

Good way of looking at it! :)

Good way of looking at it! :)

Much easier said than done though of course, but there's just reasons why for me right now it's something I need to try hard to focus on.

Much easier said than done though of course, but there's just reasons why for me right now it's something I need to try hard to focus on.

Something to keep you motivated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭playedalive

So sorry to hear that you're going through that there.

You know, a lot of people, myself included, have the very same fear when it comes to driving. You will get better at controlling the clutch. In time, it'll become so natural for you. :)

I'm glad to hear that you were able to get yourself into a nice place with the mindfulness. I really need to get myself into that actually.

Thanks Hugo. It's just frustrating learning to drive and how anxiety can be triggered just like that. It makes concentrating difficult but I'm determined to work on it despite being frustrated by my nerves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

Yes, me too. Hope you're alright.

Fingers crossed tomorrow will be a better day for us all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭get a room

im like a temperature guage dropping by 5 degrees every day, heading for zero. i can see the minus numbers approaching fast,
    very tired.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

What kind of work are you doing with your OT, if you don't mind me asking? Had my first appointment with mine today ... hard to know where to start!
    Yeah sure no bother. I'm eating right now but I'll do up a post and come back with it in a bit :)

If you've any other questions etc feel free to ask :)

Quick update: I am still working on this post, its quite detailed and lengthy as I am trying to include everything so far and explain in detail for those who may be interested.

If anyone has any questions feel free to ask and I'll try to answer them as best I can :)

• Advertisement

I hope you guys are doing okay, I hope you all get some rest tonight and hopefully tomorrow is a better, happier day for you all, even if its in a small way, its still something positive :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Name a stress related thing and i have it this morning. Muscular pain, intrusive thoughts, sick stomach, trembling etc etc. It's a lovely day outside and i can't pull it together at all. Last dbt group today has me in a panic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭get a room

Name a stress related thing and i have it this morning. Muscular pain, intrusive thoughts, sick stomach, trembling etc etc. It's a lovely day outside .

same here.
    sick of people wanting me to sort their problems.

have to ask - whats the point?

Hi folks, I'm new to this thread. Never had issues with anxiety or depression until recently, but I've had a very tough 18 months involving a very sudden long term relationship break-up, two very sick parents (one of whom is mentally unstable and is preventing the other to be cared for properly), and various work problems. I kept on ploughing through as best I could but last week something just snapped and I felt like I was going to crack.

I went to the doctor and got signed off for this week and got prescribed anxiety medication which I'm trying to only take when absolutely necessary. Got invited for a job interview today and I made an excuse not to go even though it's the perfect job for me. I've berated myself all day even though I know I'm just not up to it right now. Just feeling very low at the moment. Thanks for letting me vent, most 'normal' people just don't get it and think you can just snap out of it, but the fact that I can't snap out of it makes me feel even worse.

Flying Fox wrote: »
    Hi folks, I'm new to this thread. Never had issues with anxiety or depression until recently, but I've had a very tough 18 months involving a very sudden long term relationship break-up, two very sick parents (one of whom is mentally unstable and is preventing the other to be cared for properly), and various work problems. I kept on ploughing through as best I could but last week something just snapped and I felt like I was going to crack.

I went to the doctor and got signed off for this week and got prescribed anxiety medication which I'm trying to only take when absolutely necessary. Got invited for a job interview today and I made an excuse not to go even though it's the perfect job for me. I've berated myself all day even though I know I'm just not up to it right now. Just feeling very low at the moment. Thanks for letting me vent, most 'normal' people just don't get it and think you can just snap out of it, but the fact that I can't snap out of it makes me feel even worse.

Welcome to the thread.

It sounds like you've been through the mill there. :(

Vent all you want here, friend. Perfect place for it. Also good for advice, support and some comradeship too.

Thanks Hugo, appreciate it. Hope you're well today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

Welcome aboard Flying Fox!

Lads I am as high as a kite tonight :D (as in hyper/manic, not drugs related). Intense mood swings are some craic. I think it's because my sleep has been so **** recently.

Love to all of yous <3333

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I thought this video was excellent and inspirational. The future is bright if we have fine young lads like this being so honest and open and breaking down the taboos for everyone who suffers.

http://www.independent.ie/life/health-wellbeing/mental-health/students-in-limerick-post-inspirational-video-on-how-they-overcame-depression-and-anxiety-34524669.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Turtle_

Climbing the dosage ladder. Fml.

• Advertisement

An absolutely horrid day today for my depression and anxiety.

I am jumpy, edgy, in horrid bad form.

Overheard someone calling me a "useless lump" and since then I've been fighting back the tears.

I feel useless enough as it is, without hearing someone say it about it.

Advertisement