Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anxiety and depression thread (Please read OP)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

living alone really doesn't help, i don't think i've opened my mouth in work for nearly three days now to any co workers except for calls i have to take, anyone else go through spells like this ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,918 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

AnneFrank wrote: »
    living alone really doesn't help, i don't think i've opened my mouth in work for nearly three days now to any co workers except for calls i have to take, anyone else go through spells like this ?

Yes. That's something I've found more and more difficult. I too live on my own and find it more and more difficult to connect casually with people outside of work

I often think that my house is more like a hotel, it's warm clean and so on but it doesn't feel like a home and usually from the time I walk in to it in the evening to when I leave in the morning it's just been me, the phone and television.

I've known people who struggle with anxiety try to get their own place so they won't be in the difficult environment of dealing with housemates and I always try to remind them that the alternative can be as troubling and even more difficult to change.

Yes. That's something I've found more and more difficult. I too live on my own and find it more and more difficult to connect casually with people outside of work

I often think that my house is more like a hotel, it's warm clean and so on but it doesn't feel like a home and usually from the time I walk in to it in the evening to when I leave in the morning it's just been me, the phone and television.

I've known people who struggle with anxiety try to get their own place so they won't be in the difficult environment of dealing with housemates and I always try to remind them that the alternative can be as troubling and even more difficult to change.

Is there anything you can do to add some depth to your home to help make it more personal?

this is so true, i rent a 2 bed flat and have been there for three years, but i haven't put one picture on the wall it's like a hospital, the tv is my only company until my kids stay over. If i had a house i'd get a dog for sure. You know it's bad when you're envious of people on the way out

this is so true, i rent a 2 bed flat and have been there for three years, but i haven't put one picture on the wall it's like a hospital, the tv is my only company until my kids stay over. If i had a house i'd get a dog for sure. You know it's bad when you're envious of people on the way out

Stick a few pictures around, soft cushions, splash of yellow :) It's amazing how much environment can impact upon our moods.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭trixychic

Sorry haven't been on guys. IT has been one hell of a hectic few weeks. Really feel like I need you guys again though.

So with everything I completely forgot to restock my tablets. And basically I ended up with NO anxiety/depression tabs and NO ibs tabs for about 4 days. (Can't remember exactly)

My face has broken out in acne, my stomach has been in bits but at least I wasn't feeling down.... until today.

The slump just hit me like a rock. Now I'm scared for the coming days. What's going to happen?? I'm back on them now but feel like CRAP CRAP CRAP!!!

Not only that but my weight has ballooned so I'm down to tracksuit bottoms and big baggy t-shirts (mainly my hubbys) and we've had take away the last 3 nights cause I've just been so tired and busy!!!!

I really hope yous are dealing better than I am.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

oh nooo! i am having to get mine upped after the first 5 months on 50mg as my mood is rapidly going downhill again, i really didn't need to know this i wonder is it worth it now, dam !

Heya, on my new ones a week and a half, really good and still improving.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Finding it hard to keep my head up at all lately, physical pain is grinding me down and wearing me out. I'm off today so going to try a long shower and meditate a bit to try relax. Hope Friday treats you all well..

Heya, on my new ones a week and a half, really good and still improving.

Great news Donnie, i got my dosage upped so hopefully get the same result in a week or so !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭norwegianwood

So sad all the time, and tired. I don't see a way that it'll get better. I don't know what I'm pushing myself towards or why I'm trying at all. I just want to sleep, I have no go in me or enthusiasm at all.

• Advertisement

So sad all the time, and tired. I don't see a way that it'll get better. I don't know what I'm pushing myself towards or why I'm trying at all. I just want to sleep, I have no go in me or enthusiasm at all.

You're most likely going to have heard all this before but you keep pushing because some day you'll wake up and realize it's been a few days or longer since you were really low and that you're actually able to enjoy life.

It's impossible to see it when in the middle of it but take it from someone who has been where you are (and still goes towards it at times unfortunately) that the enjoyment of even the smallest things is increased for having had such dark times.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Frustrating, i'm on a downer and i'm getting angry because i have nothing to be down about. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭trixychic

Frustrating, i'm on a downer and i'm getting angry because i have nothing to be down about. :mad:

Oh that's a pain alright... maybe try distracting yourself??? Or have chocolate!!!..... Or ice cream. They always help me.

It feels crap Grem but don't add to the downer by being angry with yourself. It's what you're feeling right now and that's ok x A nice warm blanket and a mug of tae.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Big crash in work today. Anxiety attack got the better of me. On lunch now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭ivytwine

mansize wrote: »
    Big crash in work today. Anxiety attack got the better of me. On lunch now

Ah ****e. Big hug.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

I feel dead inside.
    I don't know what to do about that

phi3 wrote: »
    I feel dead inside.
    I don't know what to do about that

What's your support network like?. There's a sticky up top of the forum too if you need..

What's your support network like?. There's a sticky up top of the forum too if you need..

What's a support network. Doubt I have one of them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

Really sorry to hear that, phi.

You at least have us here. There's always someone about. Feel free to talk to us.

• Advertisement

Everything from understanding friends or family to your doctor and other healthcare people involved with you.

Everything from understanding friends or family to your doctor and other healthcare people involved with you.

I don't really do people. So no, none of the above

I don't really do people. So no, none of the above

I was sitting on a train a few days ago surrounded by people. They were all doing their thing. Looking at phones or laptops, reading, staring out the window. I was feeling a bit lonely and a bit sad for no particular reason.

All of those people have their own feelings and troubles to deal with. It might not always be easy to be around others and you might feel kinda disconnected but all of us have fears and dark days, some more and some less.
    You are people too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭Trebor176

Valentine's Day will be a testing time. . .

Trebor176 wrote:
    Valentine's Day will be a testing time. . .

Valentine's day doesn't every really bother me because so many people's experience on that day is not genuine. At least that's my view, I obviously don't know for a fact.

Saw a guy in a shop once pick up a newspaper and slip a valentine's card in to the middle of it. He then paid for the newspaper. How much love was in that gesture of giving the card?

This evening has been my darkest point in nearly a year.

I can read my post at #2443 above and it might as well be written in Japanese.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Saw a guy in a shop once pick up a newspaper and slip a valentine's card in to the middle of it. He then paid for the newspaper. How much love was in that gesture of giving the card?

Oh dear lord that's fairly pathetic out of him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

I can read my post at #2443 above and it might as well be written in Japanese.

hugs

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Buk0wski

This is just a post to record my experience with mental health and how I finally got to grips with it. I don't have any answers/expertise just my experience.

I posted once on boards before about it and I'll link here to save ye reading through my vast post history!
    boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=94126669&postcount=129

That was posted 2 years ago, and then and up until about September this year I was pretty sure I suffered from depression; but endure/managed it with very occasional talk therapy ( I mean occasional like 3/4 session every 5/6 years to lance the boil so to speak).

You'll see in my one other post myself and my wife had a difficult time of it with fertility, cancer and the rest. The strain of it all nearly broke me last summer/autumn; waking up crying, irritable as fcuk, constantly worrying, wound up, lower than normal energy, no interest in work etc.

I always wondered what the fcuk is wrong with me, and on reading this thread below I say I'd make a determined effort to find out.
    boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=87696952

I signed up for once a week session for CBT. It was very different from counselling; typically a kind woman being nice to you. Instead I had a man who was going to figure out with my help where I was struggling and why.

Within the first session, he stated I didn't suffer from depression but anxiety; it was a huge surprise for me but I trusted him and I kept going from there.

For me it was just a matter of upskilling in an area I was awful at; anything remotely emotional I avoided, I worried all the time and I didn't know how to relax properly(at all). I was taught how to be better at all that stuff.

Life is much better now, there are huge stresses inbound; moving house and office, a surrogate pregnant with twins but I'm taking things on piece by piece and not worrying about what I can't get to.

In truth my primary motivation was to be the best dad/role model I could be for possible children. In hindsight I should have done it for myself years ago.

All the best and sorry if in wrong thread

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

Sorry to hear that. I really hope it passes soon there.

Advertisement