Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anxiety and depression thread (Please read OP)

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

AnxietyPug wrote: »
    Hi everyone. I've only just joined looking for a place to share my thoughts.

I've had anxiety for 3 years now. At the beginning it was very problematic, being in and out of the doctors, having panic attacks daily, sometimes multiple times. During this time I visited my out of hours service doctor many many times from feeling like I was unable to breathe, feeling faint and having pains. After a while I felt better for some time. Still there, but not as severe.

Recently I've been feeling worse again. I'm have constant pains in my chest, my legs, and dizziness. I've seen 3 doctors who give me different diagnoses (one says restless leg, other says it isnt) with no specific answers to what's wrong. They seem to brush over my chest pain or dizziness. I know my anxiety makes how I feel worse and makes me panic but with no answers I can't help it. I'm not sure what to do now.

In the past (over a year and a half ago) I went to a counsellor and I feel it didn't help me. I was just recounting my past with no solution to my problems. I'm not sure if that experience was what I should expect from all or just that individual in particular.

I really do feel like there is something very wrong with me physically given how often i feel in pain, but I feel my anxiety and history with my doctor makes him put it all down anxiousness.

I'd appreciate any advice in what to do if anyone would like to share. I feel lost and don't want to be stuck this way.

Hey Pug,
    welcome to the thread, you mention counselling, that can take a long time, firstly to find a counsellor you feel comfortable with and then to build a relationship, may be worth exploring that again.
    As for your gp, have they ever discussed referring you on to local mental health services at all?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

phi3 wrote: »
    I am a body, a mind, and a soul. My mind is racing. My soul is asleep ( possibly dead) and my body is just a outer shell dragging it all around.
    Trebor176 wrote: »
    I wish things would go right for me for once. I learned that I didn't get a role that I had been interviewed for. A role which would have been good for me! Is it wrong for me to be annoyed at the fact that some that have let me down seem to be having better luck, and things seem to be going well for them? I'm not the jealous type at all, by the way. It's just how I feel!
    mg1982 wrote: »
    Sorry to hear i know the feeling. I feel my mind and body are disconnected somehow like im fragmented inside. Its been that way for a long long time now.

Been in a strange place of late myself so i can relate, i've been swinging between a total numbness to high levels of anxiety, no idea how i keep turning up for work sometimes but the fear of not working is something i can't contemplate either.. At the moment i'm feeling scared of getting that anxious again because i'm so drained from the last few days, catch 22 eh?. Outpatient appointment with psych next month also has me worried, want to pull a duvet over my head for a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭trixychic

Personally I have found the best tablets for IBS are :

- Dr Udo's Super 8 (needs to be kept refrigerated, one a day to be taken after food)
    - Alflorex (one a day, can be taken at any time, does not need to be kept refrigerated)

Neither require prescription.

This is not medical advice of course, just based on my personal experience.

Id try anything at this stage. Did you take these when an attack was happening or in a more managing way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Ferrari3600

trixychic wrote: »
    Id try anything at this stage. Did you take these when an attack was happening or in a more managing way.

Either, but they are probably more for daily management rather than immediate relief.

Either, but they are probably more for daily management rather than immediate relief.

Im gonna go get some at the wkd. I'm nearly excited about it. Ha

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

Fingers crossed that it'll help out. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Ferrari3600

For maximum effectiveness I think you are supposed to use for 60 days.

I find both very good, I probably slightly prefer the Alflorex purely because they do not need to be kept refrigerated and can be taken at any time rather than specifically before or after food. Ensure if purchasing the Dr Udo's that the pharmacy has kept it refrigerated (sometimes they leave a non-refrigerated display bottle out which is fine, but they are supposed to have a fridge for such products if they have them in stock).

Personally having gone from having to pursue a gluten-free diet due to my IBS (even though my GP says I am not allergic to gluten) I can now basically eat what I like again (although I still tend to avoid foods that are heavy in gluten such as beer, toast, breakfast cereal, etc) due to these products.

I personally found most of the meds that are usually prescribed for IBS of no use to me whatever. The one I found ok was Buscopan which apparently is one of the older ones, but even that was not as good as a high dose pro-biotic.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Bracken3000

Anyone feel like when your not in your deep depression that your head feels turned off. Like it is paralyzed and every little task feels you have been asked to climb a mountain. No joy in anything, wanting to be left alone and not wanting the stress in day to day happenings. General feeling of a grey, horrible world. Anything you want to do, read/tv, is pure escapism until your pulled back into your life. Then the depression creeps up on you and kicks you while your down.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭ja1986

Does anyone get like a lifeless feeling in limbs when your really stressed or going through something. I got really anxious about something earlier ,a bit of stress and I get this feeling of like heaviness in my wrists and ankles around my shoulders too. It's so strange,iv noticed it before.but now iv figured It's when I'm stressing. It's very weird I'm probably imagining this

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭bridgettedon

Got a letter during the week for an appointment with a psychologist, 2 and a half years after being referred to them. I can't even comprehend how that operates. Who thinks a waiting list of 2.5 years is acceptable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,398 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Has anyone figured out what it is that is depressing them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,398 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

No words can help, so talking is out. I feel my hands are tied and there are 4 walls and no doors. Boxed in, escaping impossible. I can only be freed from the outside ,but no one knows I'm here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Turtle_

GAD is back.

Full swing.

Doing my best to keep ticking over. Keep trying the cbt stuff.

Really should have sorted out the abuse stuff before going back to work.

Turtle_ wrote: »
    GAD is back.

Full swing.

Sorry to hear that, T. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭frulewis

ja1986 wrote: »
    Does anyone get like a lifeless feeling in limbs when your really stressed or going through something. I got really anxious about something earlier ,a bit of stress and I get this feeling of like heaviness in my wrists and ankles around my shoulders too. It's so strange,iv noticed it before.but now iv figured It's when I'm stressing. It's very weird I'm probably imagining this

I find that happens to me when I'm seriously anxious its like I can't settle but my body feels really heavy, Its the physical symptom of anxiety I think and I wouldn't say you're imagining it.

Feeling utterly miserable and useless. The joys of being physically unwell bringing me down mentally

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 346 ✭✭weirdspider

So difficult to get things done during a depressive spell.
    The other week I got rejected by a guy I've had feelings for for almost a year now. Unrequited love is probably the worst feeling in the world.
    Anyway, in my final year of my degree and it has completely sabotaged productivity. Keep breaking down crying and feel too bad to move from bed.
    I really hope this passes. I'm only 21, I don't want to spend the rest of my life feeling like an ugly, worthless, unloved, hopeless bag of crap.
    My career will be demanding and I simply won't have room for these productivity-hindering, ambition-destroying feelings.

Feeling utterly miserable and useless. The joys of being physically unwell bringing me down mentally

*hugs* I hope that you physically get better soon and that your mind will follow suit.

So difficult to get things done during a depressive spell.
    The other week I got rejected by a guy I've had feelings for for almost a year now. Unrequited love is probably the worst feeling in the world.
    Anyway, in my final year of my degree and it has completely sabotaged productivity. Keep breaking down crying and feel too bad to move from bed.
    I really hope this passes. I'm only 21, I don't want to spend the rest of my life feeling like an ugly, worthless, unloved, hopeless bag of crap.
    My career will be demanding and I simply won't have room for these productivity-hindering, ambition-destroying feelings.

Unrequited love is a total balls. I've been there too many times. Rejection absolutely sucks.

You are NOT an ugly, worthless, unloved, hopeless bag of cap.

This is just a setback. You'll bounce back from this. In the meantime, treat yourself to whatever. Take care of yourself and things will go back to normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭ja1986

frulewis wrote: »
    I find that happens to me when I'm seriously anxious its like I can't settle but my body feels really heavy, Its the physical symptom of anxiety I think and I wouldn't say you're imagining it.

This is exactly how it is.thanks for explaining better x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,994 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Hi people, hope you are all doing ok.

Can I ask you how and where did you find your therapists/counsellors? Was it by yourself i.e. looking them up on a website, or referred via your GP.

There are so many out there, you wouldn't know if they are professionally qualified or what.

Would a psychotherapist need a referral from GP.

Sorry for all the questions.

• Advertisement

Can I ask you how and where did you find your therapists/counsellors? Was it by yourself i.e. looking them up on a website, or referred via your GP.

There are so many out there, you wouldn't know if they are professionally qualified or what.

You're GP may recommend one. Other than that, it can just be a case of trying out some and seeing if you click.

If your employer has the VHI Employee Assistance Programme, get in touch with them. They will help you find one and even give some free sessions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭Trebor176

I decided to go to one myself. Though, it was only one visit. I felt it helped things, somewhat, but I may need to go back to him soon. I found some counsellors near to where I live, but I only decided on this one, as he has a slot free on a Saturday, which is what I wanted. Others were booked up. Aside from that, it was €40.00 for an hour or so. Te guy I saw does have a degree in counselling & psychology, and several years experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

Been feeling very nervous this morning. I think it might be because I have a meeting with my manager tomorrow. It's our regular monthly meeting but the first one since I had my review (which didn't go well) so I really don't want to talk to him.

veganrun wrote: »
    Been feeling very nervous this morning. I think it might be because I have a meeting with my manager tomorrow. It's our regular monthly meeting but the first one since I had my review (which didn't go well) so I really don't want to talk to him.

Best of luck with the review.

veganrun wrote: »

Distract yourself as much as you can today. The more you dread the bigger it becomes in your mind.. I know i make it sound logical and easy, it's far from it, but even trying might be enough distraction, take care..

Got a letter during the week for an appointment with a psychologist, 2 and a half years after being referred to them. I can't even comprehend how that operates. Who thinks a waiting list of 2.5 years is acceptable.

That's not in anyway acceptable but such is theabomination that is our health services!!! 😡

Turtle_ wrote: »
    GAD is back.

Full swing.

I always find my GAD brings on this tremendous talent of procrastination.

We do what we can when we can. Our body's and mind let us do things only when we are fully ready. Things will work out.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Sapphire3

Hello Everyone,

Just wanted to pop my head into this thread and say "Hi".
    Not sure what to say, apart from the fact that I am feel very ****ty and down as usual.
    I just got out of the hospital recently and I have to have my gallbladder removed soon.
    When it comes to my health, it's one thing after another...I was hoping that 2017 would be different but it doesn't appear to be so.
    Feeling very crap right now.

Hope you are all doing OK.

Sapphire3 wrote: »
    Hello Everyone,

Just wanted to pop my head into this thread and say "Hi".
    Not sure what to say, apart from the fact that I am feel very ****ty and down as usual.
    I just got out of the hospital recently and I have to have my gallbladder removed soon.
    When it comes to my health, it's one thing after another...I was hoping that 2017 would be different but it doesn't appear to be so.
    Feeling very crap right now.

Hope you are all doing OK.

Welcome to the thread.

I hope that the gallery bladder is the last of your troubles there.

• Advertisement

Serious bladder infection (blood in urine), another IBS attack, school closed so 2 kids home, no car to go to doctor... ****ty ****ty day.

Advertisement