Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anxiety and depression thread (Please read OP)

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Out for two weeks sick from work.. already stressed that i will struggle with money and annoy my OH being home all the time etc etc etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

still no rent allowance etc and the car insurance is due and the quote nearly gave me a heart attack.... if I keep to the back lanes....else means losing the car and as my mobility is now very poor.... too tired to care frankly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

trixychic wrote: »
    Serious bladder infection (blood in urine), another IBS attack, school closed so 2 kids home, no car to go to doctor... ****ty ****ty day.

Jesus, sorry to hear that, TC. :(

Out for two weeks sick from work.. already stressed that i will struggle with money and annoy my OH being home all the time etc etc etc.

I don't think you'll be annoying the OH there, Grem. I'm sure that the OH will be concerned for you and want to mind ya.

Money worries can cause so much stress. I wish it wasn't that way.
    Graces7 wrote: »
    still no rent allowance etc and the car insurance is due and the quote nearly gave me a heart attack.... if I keep to the back lanes....else means losing the car and as my mobility is now very poor.... too tired to care frankly!

Sorry to hear that you have a lot on your plate there. Fingers crossed that the rent allowance will come in soon.

Am very much in a fúck everything and everyone humour today. I'm noticing that stress is now giving me instances of rage on top of the usual anxiety. Lovely!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭Trebor176

Feeling low today, considering the day that's in it.

• Advertisement

Trebor176 wrote: »

It's the same as any other day Trebor. 24hrs of eating and sleeping and ups and downs. Don't let a made up "occasion" have such power over you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 346 ✭✭weirdspider

Same. Stuff plastered all over FB.

Same. Stuff plastered all over FB.

*bro-hugs to ye both*

It's the same as any other day Trebor. 24hrs of eating and sleeping and ups and downs. Don't let a made up "occasion" have such power over you.

This is good rational thinking, P. I am an irrational beast at times though. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

Even if I had a girlfriend, it would've been disastrous! Coughing and sneezing like I've got the plague.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭frulewis

This may have been brought up before so apologies if it has but has anyone experienced head shaking as a result of medication? My head has started to shake like the clappers at times and I'm wondering is a result of medication

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,918 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

frulewis wrote: »
    This may have been brought up before so apologies if it has but has anyone experienced head shaking as a result of medication? My head has started to shake like the clappers at times and I'm wondering is a result of medication

Do you mean your entire head physically shaking or the sensation that it is?

When I was on medication and I missed a dose, within 24 hrs, my brain would feel like it was on springs. It felt if I turned my head sharply that my brain was bouncing back and forth for a second after my head had stopped moving.

This got worse the longer I went until I took meds and if I did get as far as 3 days then I'd hardly be able to move my head but would move my body, like as if my neck was sore. It only happened me more than two days about 3 times in several years but I'll never forget the feeling.

In your case, is it at all times, is it on a particular medication? Have you recently started the medication or is it when you enter any period of withdrawals as I have described or at all times.

In any case, I suggest you explain it to the person who prescribed you the meds and take their advice.

Do you mean your entire head physically shaking or the sensation that it is?

When I was on medication and I missed a dose, within 24 hrs, my brain would feel like it was on springs. It felt if I turned my head sharply that my brain was bouncing back and forth for a second after my head had stopped moving.

This got worse the longer I went until I took meds and if I did get as far as 3 days then I'd hardly be able to move my head but would move my body, like as if my neck was sore. It only happened me more than two days about 3 times in several years but I'll never forget the feeling.

In your case, is it at all times, is it on a particular medication? Have you recently started the medication or is it when you enter any period of withdrawals as I have described or at all times.

In any case, I suggest you explain it to the person who prescribed you the meds and take their advice.

It's my actually head shaking, my hands have had a tremor since I was about 16 and at times of stress my head would shake a little but would always go away. Since i've been on my current medication the head shaking has become more pronounced and it won't stop. I have a clinic appointment in ten days so i'll definitely bring it up. I just wanted to see if anyone else had the same experience and if it got better. I don't think it's anything to do with withdrawal as it's a regular occurrence now but thank you for your reply.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

I get some head shake at times, never figured out what it was about, tremors in my hands since my teens too. Often meant to ask doc but always forget..

I get some head shake at times, never figured out what it was about, tremors in my hands since my teens too. Often meant to ask doc but always forget..

I've noticed that my dexterity has gotten noticeably worse in the last year or so, along with slight trembling at times too. Not sure if just a manifestation of my anxiety, a side effect of the meds, or something else altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

I've had some mild head shaking, slow though, as well as shakes in hands. Mainly on the left side, due to migraines and stuff, numbness and weakness on the left. Increasing antidepressants makes that a lot worse for me, so I'm walking a fine line between needing the help of the medication, but keeping the physical wonky face / side / hands symptoms at bay.

So I guess I'm saying... maybe? You have to tell the doc. Especially if it's in conjunction, or at least near, a dosage change of any kind.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Sapphire3

Welcome to the thread.

I hope that the gallery bladder is the last of your troubles there.

Thank you. I am back home, but moodwise I am up and down. I don't think the weather helps me at all.

trixychic wrote: »
    Serious bladder infection (blood in urine), another IBS attack, school closed so 2 kids home, no car to go to doctor... ****ty ****ty day.

I am so sorry, hope things get better for you

I've noticed that my dexterity has gotten noticeably worse in the last year or so, along with slight trembling at times too. Not sure if just a manifestation of my anxiety, a side effect of the meds, or something else altogether.

I have noticed that for the past year as well. I shake and my hands are trembling, especially in the mornings. I am on effexor and sometimes xanax, depending how bad I am. I too wonder if its side effects. :confused:

Sapphire3 wrote: »
    I have noticed that for the past year as well. I shake and my hands are trembling, especially in the mornings. I am on effexor and sometimes xanax, depending how bad I am. I too wonder if its side effects. :confused:

I'm going to the docs wednesday week so I'll ask them about it and report back, i'm just wondering will it get worse, I had got used to the hands shaking but the head is another story!!

Certain medications can cause motor disturbances, notably the SSRI class of antidepressants. (citalopram, escitalopram, fluoxetine, paroxetine, fluvoxamine and sertraline) It happens when the dopamine receptors are targeted instead of the serotonin receptors.
    Tremors are a common side effect of antidepressants and around 20% of patients on SSRIs or tricyclics (amitriptyline, imipramine) develop tremors and are far more likely to occur at higher doses. They are also more likely to occur upon starting a new medication and usually subside.
    They can also occur if you forget to take your tablets for a few days so it is very important to avoid suddenly stopping the tablets. If you wish to come off them you need to mention it to your doctor who will prescribe you a lower dose for a few weeks until you can gradually stop.
    Tremors are also common when you are on other psychiatric meds (alongside an antidepressant) such as lithium.
    The SSRIs are the most safe and effective option out there and they are the antidepressants that most are on and are first line for that reason. So unfortunately if you are switched to a different class you will likely experience some other side effect. (most commonly insomnia, dizziness, headache, dry mouth, constipation)
    You would also need to wait a few weeks for the full effect of that antidepressant to kick in. And you'd need to go through the withdrawal state associated with the SSRIs.
    Its worthwhile chatting to your doctor about it. The best option would be to reduce the dose you are on if at all possible and if the motor disturbances are particularly bad you may need to be switched.
    Although its not ideal, the doctor may prescribe another medication to control the tremors (such as a benzodiazepine or a beta blocker) if its decided that you are doing too well on the medication to merit coming off it because of tremors alone.

• Advertisement

Certain medications can cause motor disturbances, notably the SSRI class of antidepressants. (citalopram, escitalopram, fluoxetine, paroxetine, fluvoxamine and sertraline) It happens when the dopamine receptors are targeted instead of the serotonin receptors.
    Tremors are a common side effect of antidepressants and around 20% of patients on SSRIs or tricyclics (amitriptyline, imipramine) develop tremors and are far more likely to occur at higher doses. They are also more likely to occur upon starting a new medication and usually subside.
    They can also occur if you forget to take your tablets for a few days so it is very important to avoid suddenly stopping the tablets. If you wish to come off them you need to mention it to your doctor who will prescribe you a lower dose for a few weeks until you can gradually stop.
    Tremors are also common when you are on other psychiatric meds (alongside an antidepressant) such as lithium.
    The SSRIs are the most safe and effective option out there and they are the antidepressants that most are on and are first line for that reason. So unfortunately if you are switched to a different class you will likely experience some other side effect. (most commonly insomnia, dizziness, headache, dry mouth, constipation)
    You would also need to wait a few weeks for the full effect of that antidepressant to kick in. And you'd need to go through the withdrawal state associated with the SSRIs.
    Its worthwhile chatting to your doctor about it. The best option would be to reduce the dose you are on if at all possible and if the motor disturbances are particularly bad you may need to be switched.
    Although its not ideal, the doctor may prescribe another medication to control the tremors (such as a benzodiazepine or a beta blocker) if its decided that you are doing too well on the medication to merit coming off it because of tremors alone.

You are a well of knowledge, WS! :)

You actually mentioned one of my meds there, and also spot on about the dosage too.

How does everyone usually feel after nights out? Like I know most get a hangover but does anyone feel absolutely dreadful emotionally after a night of drinking?

How does everyone usually feel after nights out? Like I know most get a hangover but does anyone feel absolutely dreadful emotionally after a night of drinking?

Yes. In fact, I feel really bad after fun times with people even if there's no alcohol involved. Like it's a taste of the good life or something, and it's crushing for it to end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,870 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

More or less gave up drinking because of this feeling, don't miss it at all. Much happier person because of it, and I now do other things with my time and money

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Yup, every time. I reckon it's the come down as the more enjoyable your night out is, the more severe the come down is.

Wilberto wrote: »
    Yup, every time. I reckon it's the come down as the more enjoyable your night out is, the more severe the come down is.

Well said.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Bracken3000

Yep, found when I used to drink a lot to subdue my anxiety but pay with it the next day with a horrible hangover and then my head analysing the night and finding fault in everything I did/said.
    Then after harsh self criticism, I would feel depression and retreat from going out again for a long time and stay in bed for most if the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

Yep, found when I used to drink a lot to subdue my anxiety but pay with it the next day with a horrible hangover and then my head analysing the night and finding fault in everything I did/said.
    Then after harsh self criticism, I would feel depression and retreat from going out again for a long time and stay in bed for most if the day.

jesus i hate the self criticism, i still give out to myself over things that happened years ago

AnneFrank wrote: »
    jesus i hate the self criticism, i still give out to myself over things that happened years ago

Same here. I tend to review every detail from a lot of interactions with people, even ones where nothing went wrong but I'll nearly always find something to worry about then. Exhausting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Bracken3000

AnneFrank wrote:

As do I, not just remembering it but reliving the moment and yeh, my memory ain't great but it remembers failures, even from childhood.

Advertisement