Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anxiety and depression thread (Please read OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,917 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Wanderer78 wrote:
    This is disgraceful behaviour, Charlie bird is right, our politicians and political system couldn't give a **** about mental health problems, it's all lip service. I wish you the very best of luck, it's sounds like you have a fantastic councillor there.

Not councillor. Counsellor! Biiiiggggg difference. :)

Couldn't fault the political class if councillors were bringing their constituents to treatment centres. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

Not councillor. Counsellor! Biiiiggggg difference. :)

Couldn't fault the political class if councillors were bringing their constituents to treatment centres. :)

Its not public.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Turtle_

Its not public.

How are you doing today? You're very brave for going back in and continuing to work to get better. Sending you as much good karma as I can

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

Hope things improve there soon, Lady.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Thinking of you Lady

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Caught in the vicious cycle of tiredness making stress and depression worse which prevents good sleep which worsens my mood which, well you get the picture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

Decided to come off the antidepressants. Been on them for just over a year and a half and have been on the lowest dose for about 6 months. The last time I talked to the GP she left the decision to me and said if I wanted to come off them, I could. I decided to stay on them as I was moving and just wanted to try and stay on an even keel.

Been off them just over a week now. Feeling mostly ok although today been a bit edgy, although I think I'm feeling very conscious that I'm coming off them so I'm especially alert. I had been on them for anxiety. I guess I don't want to be on medication forever so I figured I should try again. Have been off them before and had to go back on them but hoping things go smoother this time.

I never needed AD's until 2012 when I went through a tough time and it sort of tipped me over the edge.

Will have to make a special effort to eat well, get enough sleep and exercise to try and keep things at bay

Anyone else here come off them? Hows did you find it?

veganrun wrote: »
    Decided to come off the antidepressants. Been on them for just over a year and a half and have been on the lowest dose for about 6 months. The last time I talked to the GP she left the decision to me and said if I wanted to come off them, I could. I decided to stay on them as I was moving and just wanted to try and stay on an even keel.

Been off them just over a week now. Feeling mostly ok although today been a bit edgy, although I think I'm feeling very conscious that I'm coming off them so I'm especially alert. I had been on them for anxiety. I guess I don't want to be on medication forever so I figured I should try again. Have been off them before and had to go back on them but hoping things go smoother this time.

I never needed AD's until 2012 when I went through a tough time and it sort of tipped me over the edge.

Will have to make a special effort to eat well, get enough sleep and exercise to try and keep things at bay

Anyone else here come off them? Hows did you find it?

Came off them after about the same duration. Found the first while edgy, regretted it for a couple of weeks. Then suddenly I had more energy and I started feeling better. I did notice my compulsive checking that the car is locked started up again, and my tic arrived back, and I think I'm not quite as good in terms of anxiety as I was when I was on them. BUT I think I'm better overall now than when I was on them. That's mainly due to the underlying anxiety had been quite well treated and I think had run its course a little. For a long time they were making me better, but When I got better they were making me a bit sluggish.

Thanks.

I think part of me is apprehensive and it's now like I'm almost waiting for something (work) to trigger it now. I have about a week's supply left and would probably have been due to refill my prescription this week. I'm thinking of maybe refilling it but not using them, just so I have them there. I think I will give it another few days by which stage I will have been off them 2 weeks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 242 ✭✭PREG1967

Thanks.

I think part of me is apprehensive and it's now like I'm almost waiting for something (work) to trigger it now. I have about a week's supply left and would probably have been due to refill my prescription this week. I'm thinking of maybe refilling it but not using them, just so I have them there. I think I will give it another few days by which stage I will have been off them 2 weeks.

since you come of them how have you been regarding stress levels?

• Advertisement

Mostly been ok. I was feeling edgy and nervous yesterday at times but that's partially caused by something trivial and not important.

It would be nice to be able to stay off them for good. I think part of it is the worry about how's things will be without them.

Mostly been ok. I was feeling edgy and nervous yesterday at times but that's partially caused by something trivial and not important.

It would be nice to be able to stay off them for good. I think part of it is the worry about how's things will be without them.
    because i went on them over 20 years ago as a teenager i will never get off them, its sad

Sorry to hear that.

I have always been a worrier, ever since I was a child, just seems to be the way I am. I went through a rough time in 2012 and it tipped me over the edge and I had a couple of panic attacks. I went to the GP and she put me on citalopram and it seemed to work. I came off them after about 9 months and was ok then let my stupid anxiety get out of control about something and I eventually went back on them. Think I've been on and off them about 3 times in the last 5 years.

I read a comforting article on mind.co.uk about how it can take more than one or two attempts to get off them but for some people is fine to stay on them. Each is different.

Do you find they help?

Sorry to hear that.

I have always been a worrier, ever since I was a child, just seems to be the way I am. I went through a rough time in 2012 and it tipped me over the edge and I had a couple of panic attacks. I went to the GP and she put me on citalopram and it seemed to work. I came off them after about 9 months and was ok then let my stupid anxiety get out of control about something and I eventually went back on them. Think I've been on and off them about 3 times in the last 5 years.

I read a comforting article on mind.co.uk about how it can take more than one or two attempts to get off them but for some people is fine to stay on them. Each is different.

Do you find they help?
    ive tried to come of them many many times but the stress always overcomes me and the flashbacks from my traumatic childhood/adolescence, i find i cant be stable without them at this point like they keep me afloat in social situations, i love to not take them as that makes me feel free of the symptoms and alive but i need to be alone otherwise i become too stressed, they help in that i feel i cant stay afloat without them but they have hijacked me i feel, i think i would be a totally different person without ever having been prescribed them if only i had of had a responsible adult when i was young who could have helped me get other coping skills......but anyway enough of feeling sorry for myself, i do think that people can get off them if they have been on them a short time but not me as its been way to much a part of my physiology from a young age, i dream of coming off them altogether but any time i tried this in the past i ended up losing way more than i gained

Yeah I guess you have to do whatever is right for you.

I have kind of realised some things that trigger it for me, although that doesn't always help it ease off. For instance if I go to Mass and I'm tired and/or feeling a bit boxed physically, the jumpiness and fidgeting and mad thoughts can start. I realised a while back that I was like that even in my teens at mass. I'm not sure if it's because I used to be an altar boy and nearly fainted at mass once and I've seen a few others do the same so it might be stuck in my head although I rarely even think about that or remember it.

I was seeing a counsellor at he suggested trying to just let go when the anxiety strikes, don't try to control it, and when you do, you will see it has no power. Much much easier said than done and I haven't been brave enough to try it yet. For me I can rationalise things, but I just don't believe it or listen to it. But I think I've my own unique take on it, anxiety and health anxiety mixed it.

Yeah I guess you have to do whatever is right for you.

I have kind of realised some things that trigger it for me, although that doesn't always help it ease off. For instance if I go to Mass and I'm tired and/or feeling a bit boxed physically, the jumpiness and fidgeting and mad thoughts can start. I realised a while back that I was like that even in my teens at mass. I'm not sure if it's because I used to be an altar boy and nearly fainted at mass once and I've seen a few others do the same so it might be stuck in my head although I rarely even think about that or remember it.

I was seeing a counsellor at he suggested trying to just let go when the anxiety strikes, don't try to control it, and when you do, you will see it has no power. Much much easier said than done and I haven't been brave enough to try it yet. For me I can rationalise things, but I just don't believe it or listen to it. But I think I've my own unique take on it, anxiety and health anxiety mixed it.

i get that type of effect in social situations still sometimes though it has been less now since i learned about mindfulness for anxiety, but the underlying fear never goes away once its born, you can reduce its impact with new skills

I keep flipping between trying to stay off them and thinking about going back on them. I'm hyper alert to how I am feeling physically and mentally. Like any strange sensation gets me a bit tense.

Veganrun, the thing about the tablets is they don't give you coping skills. Any improvement in your ability to cope with things is still there. It's hard to trust that, and I freaked out a bit in the 2weeks or so after coming off them, but if you feel the time is right and your doctor is on board with you stopping, then you'll be okay. If you do find yourself getting panicky don't sssume you won't cope. You can still cope.

Thanks.

My doctor was good and left the decision to me. She suggested I stay on 10mg for a while seeing I was going to move city which I've done but part of me is wary now that something at work is going to derail me.

Feeling mostly ok, think I'm getting some mild withdrawal symptoms, but nothing too bad yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

Best of luck, VR. I hope everything goes well for you there.

• Advertisement

Feeling edgy and off today. First day back at work since I noticed these symptoms, my mood seems off too. Kinda thinking I should have come off the 10mg by taking them on alternate days.

I cycled to work which helped a bit but the journey was far too short.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭CorkFenian

What are people using for their anxiety on their site?

Just curious as I use the following daily bar talk therapy, one session every 6 weeks, I have 87 done since 2010, I used to go weekly for first 18 months.

-Meditation
    -Talk therapy
    -Reiki
    -High dosage vitamin intake
    -Journal\Diary etc
    -Gratitude Journal
    -Listening to affirmations\binaural stuff like Omharmonics

My anxiety is down so much over the years its incredible it really is, I cant really identify with these forums these days as much as 5 years ago if I am honest which is a good place to be, I know my past etc but my present is very different, its at a level now where I know by intuition whats coming and its coincided with a very tough last 6 months on a personal level. I'm here to see if I can help people as corny as that sounds.

If you know of someone who has changed it around and tried different things, would that not influence people here to do the same (if they're not doing it already)

I did 10 sessions of acupuncture last year and while relaxing, I wasn't sold on it for me but I tried it so at least I know for myself...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭hairyslug

My name is .... And I'm depressed.
    I'm wondering how many have struggled to say this to anyone let alone a doctor.
    I have been in and out of hospital over the past 5 with a "physical illness" which has taken a bit of a toll on my mental ability. Im regularly with different​ doctors and all have asked how I'm coping and i tell them I'm fine.
    It was only when i saw a new doctor that she asked was i depressed (my wife went to the appt. with me and probably answered the questions more honestly that I would). The question was passed on to my GP, who to be honest has been quite forceful (in a good way) in me seeing her but when asked how I'm getting on, i still say I'm fine.
    I just can't bring myself to honestly say how i feel. I know I'm going down hill, I'm out of work sick at the moment and that, i feel, is making me feel crapper. It's a catch 22, all i want to do it sit around and do sweet fa, but i cant drag myself out to do anything.
    Anyway, that's my rant over with, just wondering, are there others that find it difficult to admit even to a doctor that you are feeling really crappy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

Had a good couple of months, but can feel myself going down again. Been drinking far too much and getting very volatile. Had a row with someone who didn't deserve it. Limbs feel very heavy. Feel very separate from the people around me. Trying to work, but just want to go to bed.

CorkFenian wrote: »
    What are people using for their anxiety on their site?

Just curious as I use the following daily bar talk therapy, one session every 6 weeks, I have 87 done since 2010, I used to go weekly for first 18 months.

-Meditation
    -Talk therapy
    -Reiki
    -High dosage vitamin intake
    -Journal\Diary etc
    -Gratitude Journal
    -Listening to affirmations\binaural stuff like Omharmonics

My anxiety is down so much over the years its incredible it really is, I cant really identify with these forums these days as much as 5 years ago if I am honest which is a good place to be, I know my past etc but my present is very different, its at a level now where I know by intuition whats coming and its coincided with a very tough last 6 months on a personal level. I'm here to see if I can help people as corny as that sounds.

If you know of someone who has changed it around and tried different things, would that not influence people here to do the same (if they're not doing it already)

I did 10 sessions of acupuncture last year and while relaxing, I wasn't sold on it for me but I tried it so at least I know for myself...

What vitamins do you take? I've heard Niacin is great for anxiety/depression.

What vitamins do you take? I've heard Niacin is great for anxiety/depression.

For me personally zinc and Nicotinamide are key. Do you take niacin yourself?

I went to Biobalance in Donnybrook for a customized vitamin checkup

Here is the article I saw initially through my pshychologist, I left it 18 months before trying it as I felt I was taking vitamins etc (which I was and I'm sure we all do) High dosage I was to learn is very different from the all in one approach we all take (centrium etc)

http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/health/nutrient-therapy-saved-my-life-28955884.html

http://www.positivelife.ie/2013/07/bio-balance-nutritional-approach-to-mental-health/

I did this in January 2014, copper levels were at at 20 (cannot remember the units offhand) 16 or above is indictative of depression, six months after using them I was down to 14. Only way to reduce copper is with zinc, we get copper from tap water, meat etc (I have friends who are PhD in Chemistry who both said I was wasting my time, I asked them for alternatives, too many people have opinions who aren't directly affected. Its my problem and can be a throwaway comment to people who aren't affected they mean well but they don't understand or appreciate what real anxiety can feel like. Its crippling. I take vitamins in morning and after 8pm. Zinc, magnesium, Nicotinamide (better than niacin), vitamin C, D3, E etc)

I buy them online or from Holland Barrett I'm not advertising for Biobalance, but I believe everyone should discover what works or at least make the effort to see what can help. Go outside the GP model, I still use GP and consultant psychiatrist, but I am not relying on them, I have my psychologist, reiki master, I am also doing solo family constellation therapy with a regression trauma expert, (she has been through a similar experience, the only people who I am meeting who have actually been through something similar are from the holistic community) I have more layers of redundancy and I need them as I have reduced lithium by 50% in the past 18 months.

The O'Flaherty Doctors who run biobalance have helped a lot of people. If in doubt try it. It might change everything for you. At least you will know rather than listening to other peoples opinions.

The other consultants I met hadn't a great deal of time for vitamin therapy. I was fortunate when I tried it I could see that it worked. I found people who had negative opinions knew very little of the process. GPs and consultants can sometimes be the most unaware people you will ever meet. They will play it safe 99 times out of a 100. Just the way it is. High dosage vitamin therapy has been for over 60 years it lost out in the publics awareness as there was no money in it for GPs\pharmacies\consultants that's really the bottom line.

I just started taking noflush Niacin again the last few days. I also started taking magnesium again yesterday, and I take a generic multivitamin and that's it.

Is nicotinamide the version that gives you the flush?

I just started taking noflush Niacin again the last few days. I also started taking magnesium again yesterday, and I take a generic multivitamin and that's it.

Is nicotinamide the version that gives you the flush?

No niacin gives you the flush. I buy nicotinamide online and in higher dosage 500mg. I think Holland and Barrett for niacin was 100mg (Again I would recommend getting it customized for you, I am 6'3 and 16 stone-not sure if vitamins are affected in same way body wise just want to stress that I am not a vitamin expert) :)

Taken from https://www.sharecare.com/health/vitamin-b3-niacin/what-difference-between-nicotinamide-niacin

Niacin is the compound nicotinic acid, and is a term to describe a number of compounds related to nicotinic acid, including nicotinamide (niacinamide) and inositol nicotinate (inositol hexaniacinate). The different forms of niacin are not interchangeable and have different medical purposes. Niacin (nicotinic acid) is commonly used to treat high cholesterol. Nicotinamide is taken to treat arthritis and pellagra. Nicotinamide is also used as a vitamin supplement and does not cause the flushing that is commonly associated with niacin

Sorry to hear that.

Do you find they help?

Just responding to this as I was very similar. In my case it was all childhood based.
    Just a reminder again, suggesting/inviting PM conversation is against the charter in this forum, please see the charter at the top of the page for further clarification or contact anyone of the mods

• Advertisement

Feeling awful sleepy today, and I think it's making me jumpy and anxious. I also reckon it's being caused by coming off the citalopram. I'm wondering should I have went alternate days of 10mg, then every 3rd day etc to get off it fully rather than going from 10mg to nothing.

Advertisement