Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anxiety and depression thread (Please read OP)

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

veganrun wrote: »
    Feeling awful sleepy today, and I think it's making me jumpy and anxious. I also reckon it's being caused by coming off the citalopram. I'm wondering should I have went alternate days of 10mg, then every 3rd day etc to get off it fully rather than going from 10mg to nothing.

This is really a discussion for your doctor as no one here can advise. Glad you seem to have a good doc.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Mood swings again. Pain in my chest from the weight of something on me.. Anxiety ramping up..

• Registered Users Posts: 18 dublinman101

Can someone recommend a good psychiatrist for me. I have depression but more so anxiety. I'm in Dublin Rathfarnham and work in city centre. Anyone Southside would be fine. I see a psychiatrist and I'm not totally happy with him. He sees me for less than 5 minutes. There is no talk therapy element, its all about the meds. My GP doesn't know who to recommend. If someone on boards has been to a psychiatrist and has had a good experience please PM some details. Ideally someone who will give more than 5 minutes, will do some listening and isn't just about the meds, and isn't too expensive. I get €60 back per visit from VHI Ideally I want someone who doesn't charge a huge amount more than that - one lady was €150 an hour and that's too much.
    Thanks in advance.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 242 ✭✭PREG1967

i am in the midst of a freeze-fawn fog for a number of years now, tired

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,917 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

PREG1967 wrote:
    i am in the midst of a freeze-fawn fog for a number of years now, tired

I know the feeling. Fog is a good analogy for it. Hopefully some day the sun will burn through it. Literally.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

Not doing great here lately. Big cycle of escalating panic and low mood, with all the associated notions in my head.

Can someone recommend a good psychiatrist for me. I have depression but more so anxiety. I'm in Dublin Rathfarnham and work in city centre. Anyone Southside would be fine. I see a psychiatrist and I'm not totally happy with him. He sees me for less than 5 minutes. There is no talk therapy element, its all about the meds. My GP doesn't know who to recommend. If someone on boards has been to a psychiatrist and has had a good experience please PM some details. Ideally someone who will give more than 5 minutes, will do some listening and isn't just about the meds, and isn't too expensive. I get €60 back per visit from VHI Ideally I want someone who doesn't charge a huge amount more than that - one lady was €150 an hour and that's too much. Thanks in advance.

Hi dublinman101. Sorry to hear you're struggling.

The rules of the forum don't allow such direct asks for recommendations. Even though you've already tried it, I strongly recommend you tell your Dr you need guidance in selecting someone for talk therapy. It doesn't have to be a psychiatrist. You could continue with your current psychiatrist relating to meds and go to a psychologist or therapist for more talk type treatment.

Finding the right one is really down to personal connections a lot of time. You could click with a therapist I had difficulty forming a connection with for example. I suggest trying a few to see how you feel with them. They can be priced from €60 upwards in my experience, psychologists are more but I think health insurance doesn't cover talk therapy in a lot of cases. Depends on your policy.
    Good luck.

Not doing great here lately. Big cycle of escalating panic and low mood, with all the associated notions in my head.

That's tough Hugo. Anything particularly bringing it on do you think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,396 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I dunno what everyone is hiding but I don't buy it that no one knows what is going on that is depressing them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

New job and commute raising my anxiety levels again :(

• Advertisement

I dunno what everyone is hiding but I don't buy it that no one knows what is going on that is depressing them.

BorneTobyWilde, nobody's asking you to buy anything. Why do you come in here to question people every few months.

It's not helpful and is ignorant of people's issues and circumstances.

snowflaker wrote:
    New job and commute raising my anxiety levels again

Only one more day to weekend. Hopefully get to relax/recharge then.

BorneTobyWilde, nobody's asking you to buy anything. Why do you come in here to question people every few months.

It's not helpful and is ignorant of people's issues and circumstances.

I'm not trying to be ignorant of people issues, am I very lucky to know exactly what it is that is causing me to have anxiety , what is causing me to get stressed and depressed..

I'm not trying to be ignorant of people issues, am I very lucky to know exactly what it is that is causing me to have anxiety , what is causing me to get stressed and depressed..

I felt really down today. The hours dragged by. I didn't wash my face or get dressed or leave the house. I'm lucky that it's just the odd day here and there but I remember when it was more frequent. Today there was nothing in particular to make my mood drop but taking my past in to account then there absolutely are reasons.

To put it simply there is sometimes no "why" but I'd hazard a guess that for many of the posters here there is a root cause to what they are going through. Maybe they haven't figured out what it is yet, maybe they don't want to.

It's not for you to make assumptions. We each have our own path to walk.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 242 ✭✭PREG1967

i know, my childhood is my root cause :mad::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

veganrun wrote: »
    Decided to come off the antidepressants. Been on them for just over a year and a half and have been on the lowest dose for about 6 months. The last time I talked to the GP she left the decision to me and said if I wanted to come off them, I could. I decided to stay on them as I was moving and just wanted to try and stay on an even keel.

Been off them just over a week now. Feeling mostly ok although today been a bit edgy, although I think I'm feeling very conscious that I'm coming off them so I'm especially alert. I had been on them for anxiety. I guess I don't want to be on medication forever so I figured I should try again. Have been off them before and had to go back on them but hoping things go smoother this time.

I never needed AD's until 2012 when I went through a tough time and it sort of tipped me over the edge.

Will have to make a special effort to eat well, get enough sleep and exercise to try and keep things at bay

Anyone else here come off them? Hows did you find it?

Years ago now and probably different but mood wise no problems, did get terrifying headaches , like the ones when I had been taking St John's Wort and ran out of it. Never touched THAT again..

benzos were a totally different animal to get off.. :rolleyes:

But the art is GO VERY SLOWLY. VERY VERY SLOWLY ..cut down in tiny

I was involved with a site called "Benzo island" once and they advise a small cut every two weeks for all these meds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I felt really down today. The hours dragged by. I didn't wash my face or get dressed or leave the house. I'm lucky that it's just the odd day here and there but I remember when it was more frequent. Today there was nothing in particular to make my mood drop but taking my past in to account then there absolutely are reasons.

To put it simply there is sometimes no "why" but I'd hazard a guess that for many of the posters here there is a root cause to what they are going through. Maybe they haven't figured out what it is yet, maybe they don't want to.

It's not for you to make assumptions. We each have our own path to walk.

Insightful post... Thank you... In my experience need not be a specific cause. The dear Lord knows there was plenty in my own past to create chaos BUT I was really physically ill and being misdiagnosed.

That'll do it every time !

I honestly now looking back do not think it is needful of helpful to delve into the past. There are elements of mine no one knows and I have made my own peace with them and walked on from there. But I know folk who just cannot seem to do that .

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭CorkFenian

test

PREG1967 wrote: »
    i know, my childhood is my root cause :mad::confused:

What happened in your childhood. Can you talk about it. What frustrates be about this thread is the constant discussion of how people feel and no discussion as to the why.
    I ONLY WISH I HAD SOMEONE TO TALK TO, someone who understood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,951 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

What happened in your childhood. Can you talk about it. What frustrates be about this thread is the constant discussion of how people feel and no discussion as to the why.

To be honest , this post makes more sense now in relation to your post on the previous page BTW .
    Have you got anyone to talk to ? One person who will listen ?

• Advertisement

I see your point Borne but talking about the why can be very painful and not everyone is up to sharing those parts of themselves on here. Even in a professional setting it can take months to open up fully and sometimes even years.

Feeling like nobody understands is a lonely place isn't it? :(

That's tough Hugo. Anything particularly bringing it on do you think?

Just the daily grind. I seem to be increasingly less able these days.

Feeling like nobody understands is a lonely place isn't it? :(

*hugs*

It really can be. :(

Just the daily grind. I seem to be increasingly less able these days.

*hugs*

It really can be. :(

Thanks Hugo :) but those days are thankfully behind me.

Thanks Hugo :) but those days are thankfully behind me.

Glad to hear it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Turtle_

I was groomed by a guy online from the age of 13 and then sexually abused. Why the f"ck it's the business of anyone here, or why you think it is, is beyond me. We all know we have pasts. We don't need to constantly talk about the nitty gritty of them to get:/give support.

And if you hang around enough you'll find people do mention stuff like that, but what, you want to constantly remind everyone of what f"cked them up? Really? You want to pick at those scabs? Don't be an a$$hole.

Just a reminder to posters in general, this is a forum for long term illness, there is no onus on any poster to discuss the possible causes, if any, of their health problem. Questioning reasons why someone is suffering is a moot point. Posters are welcome to share thoughts but always remember to be sensitive to other users of the site

test

Some people don't have a specific reason for their illness, it's hard for anyone but not having a 'reason' makes some people feel invalidated despite the fact they are also genuinely ill. Mental illnesses are still a very tough area to discuss. I don't think i have a root cause, i just am ill and have sought help much like someone with a visible illness would.

test

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

I often have dreams where its a different/strange version of my everyday life.
    Its hard to explain but its severely happened 3 or 4 times ... today in fact the most recent....I suddenly get deja vu and overcome with sickness feeling in my stomach, anytime of the day anywhere... and sometimes on the verge of fainting. I kept having deja vu all day and I just couldn't tell if it was a memory or part of these weird dreams that I was thinking. Its prob hard to understand. Tbvh, I felt I was gonna s#hit myself the psyical reaction was that bad.

Its quiet upsetting. I don't know if its just having too much time on my hands. Has anyone experienced this? Im pretty sure its anxiety related cause that's a big issue for me. My anxiety has been sky high today.

Hope I wont have these flashs/deja vu tomorrow or anytime soon again, very distracting.

Advertisement