Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anxiety and depression thread (Please read OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,917 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Corkfenian. I've done it all apart from ECT. Everything else, pretty sure I've been there. Art therapy, notebooks, mindfulness, exercise etc. Yep, been there, tried it, hard but still the darkness persisted.

I don't come here to wallow or to wonder why isn't it just fixed. I come here for empathy and to try to support others. That's it. Most, I feel, benefit from knowing they're not on their own. That's what the thread is for, not for THE answer because that doesn't exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭CorkFenian

test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,917 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

CorkFenian wrote:
    How many counselling sessions have you tried?

That's an insulting question to ask in this thread.

The answer is in 3 figures. I've been lucky enough to have been able to afford it. Not everyone can. And even if you can, there's no guarantee of a fix.
    CorkFenian wrote:
    by their own admission doing nothing for it.

Even more insulting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Feel like I'm being crushed at the moment. Feels like I'm wrapped in chains and I just want to burst out of them and be free. It's suffocating and frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭CorkFenian

That's an insulting question to ask in this thread.

The answer is in 3 figures. I've been lucky enough to have been able to afford it. Not everyone can. And even if you can, there's no guarantee of a fix.

Even more insulting.

Very convenient of you not to post the rest of my response with the full post...If you're going to quote it, quote it with the full context...As I said best of luck with your struggle its not a competition, I was merely giving my opinion, I thought I had tried everything too, it never stops, there is always something new to try. That's my belief.

All i am saying is that we owe it to ourselves and our family members to investigate everything and anything that can help. You feel that you have tried everything...That's your opinion, after what I have experienced and meeting the people I have met I couldn't disagree more with you.I never said there were guarantees with anything-Whether thats counselling, reiki etc

I was merely trying to get a feel for what you have done as you said yourself you have tried everything. Well done on the three figures you have for counselling. I am at 90 sessions now. I have over 50 reiki and healing sessions done too. I am trying things I would have laughed at 5 years ago. But I have tried it and it works for me so i use it, if it doesn't work at least I have that experience of trying it.It has made a big difference but all of it is the accumulated therapies I use.

We will have to agree to disagree as is what happens frequently on anonymous posting sites....I wish you the best of luck...i deleted my posts because I could see it was pointless trying to share my story here and in sharing my story its quite tough in the first place :)

In fairness to you I have probably got the idea of the whole thread wrong, if I am coming across as someone looking to fix people I hold my hands up and apologise for that.It was not my intention :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

What happened in your childhood. Can you talk about it. What frustrates be about this thread is the constant discussion of how people feel and no discussion as to the why.
    I ONLY WISH I HAD SOMEONE TO TALK TO, someone who understood.

Bornetobywilde, I think what appeals to some or many contributors and viewers to this thread is the feeling of empathy. They can discuss how they feel this week, today or right now and not feel judged or shamed in a way they might in their real lives. Mental health issues are far more complex than physical health issues and being able to discuss or explain definitive root causes of why people are the way they are possibly goes beyond the remit of what this forum offers.

Receiving kind words of encouragement and solidarity and above all else, acknowledgement is as much as this forum can probably offer and this alone is invaluable to many. Seeking anything above or beyond would be like attempting to seek medical advice. Seeking advice on the whys and root causes and having anonymous and unqualified posters, no matter how well meaning, speculating and theorizing why you are suffering a certain condition is unethical and could ultimately be very damaging.

This is where the services of professionally qualified therapists or psychiatrists who meet you face to face and explore your issues thoroughly with you through multiple sessions over weeks, months or even years can only be the most appropriate and beneficial avenue to help overcome or manage such issues. Leave this forum to continue being a wonderfully supportive safe space for empathy, solidarity and acknowledgement.

That is just my take on it anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,396 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Mam of 4 wrote: »
    To be honest , this post makes more sense now in relation to your post on the previous page BTW .
    Have you got anyone to talk to ? One person who will listen ?

No
    I wish I had.
    I have problems that could easily be solved if I had that someone. I guess we all have people we talk to online, but it's hardly the same.

ongarboy wrote: »
    Bornetobywilde, I think what appeals to some or many contributors and viewers to this thread is the feeling of empathy. They can discuss how they feel this week, today or right now and not feel judged or shamed in a way they might in their real lives. Mental health issues are far more complex than physical health issues and being able to discuss or explain definitive root causes of why people are the way they are possibly goes beyond the remit of what this forum offers.

Receiving kind words of encouragement and solidarity and above all else, acknowledgement is as much as this forum can probably offer and this alone is invaluable to many. Seeking anything above or beyond would be like attempting to seek medical advice. Seeking advice on the whys and root causes and having anonymous and unqualified posters, no matter how well meaning, speculating and theorizing why you are suffering a certain condition is unethical and could ultimately be very damaging.

This is where the services of professionally qualified therapists or psychiatrists who meet you face to face and explore your issues thoroughly with you through multiple sessions over weeks, months or even years can only be the most appropriate and beneficial avenue to help overcome or manage such issues. Leave this forum to continue being a wonderfully supportive safe space for empathy, solidarity and acknowledgement.

That is just my take on it anyway.

I get your points.
    Sometimes people need to take actions rather than listen to endless words. I really feel many need to take action to the cause of their unhappiness, they have things they need to put right before they can become at peace with themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

No
    I wish I had.
    I have problems that could easily be solved if I had that someone. I guess we all have people we talk to online, but it's hardly the same.

Could you talk to a family member or friend?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

No
    I wish I had.

There are some places that help out with someone to talk to, Jigsaw and Pieta come to mind, no idea of your circumstances but hopefully you can engage with local help..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,951 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

No
    I wish I had.

Haven't any advice to give except echo what other posters have said . A family member ? Are there any MH services in your area? Gremlinertia named two great services also .
    I only ask that as my son never talked about the extent of how he was really feeling , until AFTER he had a complete breakdown . Eventually he got to see a psychologist on a weekly basis and found talking it out really helped him . Not easy , but it helped.

Is there anyone at all you feel you can trust to listen ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

No
    I wish I had.

It can be a start. It really can. And maybe it would help, maybe not. I see now loneliness as a symptom not a condition.

Thinking a lot re that these days. I can remember achingly being out walking and it would hit me " NO ONE KNOWS WHERE I AM. I AM ALONE" with utter grief and dep rivation, and even now remembering brings tears to my eyes.

People used to scoff at me for that . Not kind

I chuckled the other day thinking of this when I was exulting in being totally utterly alone in the mountains!
    Just before the car decided to take off on its own!

AND, gee a parable here? Then I sought the help of folk as I give help to
    folk in need,

And over the years I have made friends via the internet. As in meeting and chatting in reality, and not sure if this is allowed but happy to be here for that. I know some area forums meet for beers! Why not coffee?

And now I am happiest alone. I really am. But love people.

There are some places that help out with someone to talk to, Jigsaw and Pieta come to mind, no idea of your circumstances but hopefully you can engage with local help..

How things have changed! Reading these posts is a revelation. When my illness started, it was a shame and a disgrace. Families hid mentally ill members or shut them away in the big institutions.

I had been a very active Church person. Teaching Sunday School , on committees, teaching at conferences.

Then illness hit and was misdiagnosed.

One day my mother shoved a piece of paper in my face. "WHAT HAPPENED TO THIS?" she yelled.

It was my glowing reference from the Vicar. Words cannot express how that made me feel. The guilt and shame. and my helplessness.

It was all shut them in and drugs and even before benzos were invented. Sweep them under the carpet.

ALthough I still would not MYSELF go for "counselling" ; just not me and happily I do have dear ones I can pour all out to.

Those relationships take time to grow though.

At the end of my resources. Tears for no reason except illness and exhaustion. There is a "situation" up here in the mountains that is destroying me.

I know I will have to move and finding somewhere..

Repercussions too from the ditch episode. the What ifs.. what if I had parked near a cliff.. or a river. Flashbacks. And totally exhausted. went into what happened with skilled motoring folk and they explained it; not my fault. I had agonised over that of course. In any way. One of those crazy mechanical anomalies. Just those seconds of sheer terror.

I know this is physical illness BUT always that affects our minds. Just at the end time for today...snug abed with 2 cats under the blankets and one atop... work for my hands and flowers from the garden in sight and outside, the cuckoo.. small things that can keep us safe for long enough that we heal a little.

Just to find tiny comfort toeholds. Light enough for just one step ahead.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Very 'over sensitive' at the minute, think it's another stress related thing. Can't read the news without getting lost in it and feeling horrified at what's going on in the world. Hoping this doesn't last too long..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

Very 'over sensitive' at the minute, think it's another stress related thing. Can't read the news without getting lost in it and feeling horrified at what's going on in the world. Hoping this doesn't last too long..

Fingers crossed that it passes soon there, G.

Confidence is extra low, as is my already poor mood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

new job, long commute. don't know how to read the people in the new place. my head's all over the place

snowflaker wrote: »
    new job, long commute. don't know how to read the people in the new place. my head's all over the place

Best of luck in the new job. Hope you settle in there soon.

Done now. Hope things improve there soon, my friend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Turtle_

I hate performance reviews in work. We've to grade ourselves and then we find out if our managers agree or not. It really plays on my insecurities and perfectionism. Really does.

• Advertisement

Turtle_ wrote: »
    I hate performance reviews in work. We've to grade ourselves and then we find out if our managers agree or not. It really plays on my insecurities and perfectionism. Really does.

F that crap. :mad:

F that crap. :mad:

Yeah! Unfortunately our review goes down if we don't engage with the review process. Nice huh?

Turtle_ wrote: »
    Yeah! Unfortunately our review goes down if we don't engage with the review process. Nice huh?

I think we're the same. I usually fill them with generic BS. Thankfully that usually does that trick.

Rest assured though that you are good at what you do. It's hard to fight the feeling that you're not at times, I know that myself, but you wouldn't be there if you couldn't do it.

I'm coming to accept that the GAD will always follow me. And as wired and anxious as I seem to be lately, there's a little bit of me that is proud of myself for picking myself up last time and carrying on

When talking is not the answer, what is the answer.

I really don't think there's one answer only, i know with me i use many methods in response the mix of feelings i'm having.. When my anxiety is out of control i can't speak so that's out. That's a huge question really BTW i usually focus on my own self, breathing, observing etc. Quiet things to keep from getting any more distressed than i am..
    When it's the more depressive side of things i put on something i like to watch or listen to.. Time helps, i know that sounds like a cop out but truly it does..

Feel very much in a "This sucks, but the battle to getting better will suck so much more" mood.

Nasty place to be stuck in Hugo *hugs*

Nasty place to be stuck in Hugo *hugs*

Thanks, G. *hugs*

A lack of motivation in general is such a hinderance. I have the tools needed to make a good attempt at tackling this, just that the get up and go is missing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭Afroshack

Hey guys. New poster here (to this particular forum) so thought I'd introduce myself. Female, mid 20s from Dublin but currently living in the country for work. Got a diagnosis of Moderate Depression and anxiety last year. Tried medication, counselling, exercise etc. Some worked, some didn't. It was a dark, scary place for a long time but things are starting to get better.

Currently working full time and in college part time. I've exams coming up and im horribly stressed and really battling to concentrate. I'm doing very badly in college (as in, barely passing) which will definitely knock my career back a few years.

Not really sure what I'm looking for here, just sorta "letting it out" and all that.

Thanks for reading. I'm very much looking forward to talking to some people in the same place as depression and anxiety can be so hard to talk about openly.

Advertisement