Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anxiety and depression thread (Please read OP)

Comments

I like them Shan :) It's been too long since I was on a plane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

I like them Shan :) It's been too long since I was on a plane.

Thanks but they're not good enough like everything I do :(

Shannon757 wrote: »
    Thanks but they're not good enough like everything I do :(

I Would really like a camera like your one Shan. I would be tormenting you for tips :)

I Would really like a camera like your one Shan. I would be tormenting you for tips :)

They're easy enough to get into. I just read the instructions and before I knew it is was making films.

They're easy enough to get into. I just read the instructions and before I knew it is was making films.

I remember years ago a girl who I was friendly with wanted me to take part in a film she was planning on making. Needless to say nothing ever came of it. She had a script alright. It was a short little kind of sci-fi piece I think.

• Advertisement

I remember years ago a girl who I was friendly with wanted me to take part in a film she was planning on making. Needless to say nothing ever came of it. She had a script alright. It was a short little kind of sci-fi piece I think.
    I prefer to be behind the camera rather than in front of it.

Oh I can understand that. I'd be of a similar mindset myself but I do like the idea of escaping in to different characters.

Oh I can understand that. I'd be of a similar mindset myself but I do like the idea of escaping in to different characters.

I don't think I could play someone else when I can barely keep myself together. Pain is really bad this evening :(

It's amazing what human beings can achieve Shan :)

It's amazing what human beings can achieve Shan :)

I'm a barely functioning human being though :(

• Advertisement

I'm a barely functioning human being though :(

That simply isn't true.

Now I must take my leave of here and go yonder to other places :)

No phone and no one to talk to. Feeling so lonely with only pain to think about :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 75 ✭✭inca2

We need to be mindful of what we say here regarding meds. Shannon will have to speak to his doctor at his review if there are any marked decreases in mood.

Of course. I'm a pharmacist and am just really mindful that when people start medications like this, what to expect from them is usually not explained or explained properly. It is important for people to know that what side effects to expect and that they will need to either do their best to tolerate the medication for the time it takes for it to become effective or switch if things are really going badly. One of the worst initial effects is deterioration in mood. It's something that a doctor needs to check in on very often. Despite not knowing anything about my background, no attempt was made to explain anything to me when I first got my prescription, which I found very upsetting. Obviously giving actual medical advice here isn't appropriate but it is something important that may not be explained to a lot of people.

inca2 wrote: »
    Of course. I'm a pharmacist and am just really mindful that when people start medications like this, what to expect from them is usually not explained or explained properly. It is important for people to know that what side effects to expect and that they will need to either do their best to tolerate the medication for the time it takes for it to become effective or switch if things are really going badly. One of the worst initial effects is deterioration in mood. It's something that a doctor needs to check in on very often. Despite not knowing anything about my background, no attempt was made to explain anything to me when I first got my prescription, which I found very upsetting. Obviously giving actual medical advice here isn't appropriate but it is something important that may not be explained to a lot of people.

I do agree with you. I was dancing around that very issue by telling Shannon of the importance of telling his doctor about any changes. Psychotropic medication is taken like smarties by some people. I was hesitant to mention the possible dangers such as worsening mood and where that can lead to.

the possible dangers such as worsening mood and where that can lead to.

:(

:(

Shannon you are under the care of your doctor. The point I was trying to make was that many people don't give certain types of medication the respect they need.

Nobody here can advise the other posters about the medication they take or the side effects. What we can say is to be mindful of how you feel and tell your doctor everything.

I do agree with you. I was dancing around that very issue by telling Shannon of the importance of telling his doctor about any changes. Psychotropic medication is taken like smarties by some people. I was hesitant to mention the possible dangers such as worsening mood and where that can lead to.

I totally see where you're coming from. Apologies if I am out of line here (being new to the forum), but I just don't really believe in dancing around issues. I feel like discussing things openly so that it normalises the problem is the way to go.

Shannon, is there any way of contacting your doctor directly, rather than going through your therapist? It's really important to get the best out of your treatments - medication and talk therapy. Even a quick chat with the doctor could be helpful.

I totally see where you're coming from. Apologies if I am out of line here (being new to the forum), but I just don't really believe in dancing around issues. I feel like discussing things openly so that it normalises the problem is the way to go.

Shannon, is there any way of contacting your doctor directly, rather than going through your therapist? It's really important to get the best out of your treatments - medication and talk therapy. Even a quick chat with the doctor could be helpful.

Oh listen I also agree with you on that :) I'm trying to be mindful because I don't know the posters here, I don't know their history or even their present. That's why I was dancing around. I just didn't have the right words to put across what I was thinking.

I also think we might be on a different page regarding what I was "dancing" around.

This doctor is with the mental health people and is watching over the anti depressants and things so he works with the therapist. I only see him sometimes when I'm there.

• Advertisement

I also think we might be on a different page regarding what I was "dancing" around.

No, I think we're on the same page :) I just have a bee in my bonnet about people potentially not being given the information necessary for them to be empowered and in control of their meds/condition by professionals who are responsible for their care. Some information to be relayed can be really scary and it's a difficult conversation to have sometimes but it's so important.

Is there anyway of trying to speak directly to the doctor? I know these services are really busy but it's important for everyone to keep communicating as best they can.

Is there anyway of trying to speak directly to the doctor? I know these services are really busy but it's important for everyone to keep communicating as best they can.

Answered above

Answered above

Is the doctor not accessible at all, even by phone? :(

How about any other resources, like a mental health nurse? Or the pharmacy where you collect your meds?

Is the doctor not accessible at all, even by phone? :(

How about any other resources, like a mental health nurse? Or the pharmacy where you collect your meds?

I can't get through to that doctor by phone. I haven't heard of a mental health nurse. I could go to the pharmacy but it's usually my mother who collects my prescriptions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭cinnamony

Hi all first time posting in this thread apologies if I'm derrailing :)

I have anxiety(OCD) since I was 11 and have always had major trouble with focus/staying still. Its so bad I always have to keep fidgeting even when im trying to sleep. Furthermore my lack of focus means I find it really hard to do work/watch movies/read just everything really. I have spoken of this various times to all the psychiatrists I have been to but I've always been shrugged off as just restless. I have actually never received treatment even though I'm classified as having severe OCD...just wondering do any of you experience this as well?

Feeling so down and alone. Trying my best but nothing can cheer me up this evening :(

Another day of crippling pain. Could only manage one class again today and feel so useless at not being able to do anything :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Had a rather big wobble the other day, really just keeping ticking over for now while i regroup. The anxiety is brutal but the worst was the insidious paranoia.. Hell of a reminder of how quickly i can cycle into crash mode..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,915 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Had a rather big wobble the other day, really just keeping ticking over for now while i regroup. The anxiety is brutal but the worst was the insidious paranoia.. Hell of a reminder of how quickly i can cycle into crash mode..

Hope things are better today.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

Visited an aunt last night.....My 2 perfect beautiful cousins were there..... cant stop comparing myself to them....And how lucky they are yp have eachother....Anxiety was and still bit all over the place , crap weather doesn't help.

Hope ye get break n have a good day

Advertisement