Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accountant to teacher

Options
  • 22-02-2016 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

Does anyone know how long it would take to become a secondary school teacher from being ACCA qualified accountant? Would I need to start from scratch?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Nellsbells wrote: »
    Does anyone know how long it would take to become a secondary school teacher from being ACCA qualified accountant? Would I need to start from scratch?

You would have to find out if your degree is recognised by the Teaching Council - if it is recognised for teaching, it will say what you're entitled to teach. If its not - you will have to get your qualifications assessed by the Teaching Council which costs about e200 - it may have changed - they will tell you what you need to do in order to register.

Following that you will have to get a teaching qualification which is the PME - which is a two year programme which costs over e10,000. Be aware that there is a restriction on business related degrees due to the popularity of business studies degrees. You can choose to do it with one of the universities - check PAC - or with Hibernia which is part time.

Be aware that there is a surplus of qualified business teachers and also accounting is not taught in every school.

I hope that helps. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭shteve

Nellsbells wrote: »

Just wondering if you proceeded with your plan to become a secondary school teacher? I'm ACA qualified myself (non business degree) and considering the switch, however, the Teacher's Council are not very clear cut on the subject requirements. Anyone else in a similar boat?

Advertisement