Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Still no placement

Options
  • 22-02-2016 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭

Should I be worried that I haven't yet got a coop place? Should have started the 4th of January till August. It's getting annoying having to go to college for one hour a day Monday to Thursday.

Anybody know of any place remotely related to biochemistry that I can apply? Most places I've contacted have either hired or I've heard nothing back. I have noticed though that a good number of places have reduced the number of places they usually make available or aren't hiring altogether.

Coop office just say to wait and see at this point, but there are a substantial number of us not placed from the course.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Yes. You are being fed the coop office line that they are still looking but they're not. Try and find some placement on your own.

Just be warned that the coop office isn't too happy with people finding their own placement and might try to screw you out of fourth year. However a few departments have issue with them and will bat for you on the issue.

I, and 90% of my class, didn't get place and the alternative we had was crap modules, if you have the same get the notes and coast to 40%. I got some lab/research experience thanks to some of my lecture, who saved my course as nearly 20% dropped out as they got full time employment, trying to fill in the spare time the "alternative" course left us with.

Coop office ruined the university experience for myself and a lot of my classmates.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Pete123456

The idea that the opportunity will come eventually is great but it is depressing waiting around all day for work in the evening (thank god I'm working... Otherwise I dunno what would be keeping me sane).

I live over 20 miles from college and it's hard to justify a commute in and out for one hour, or even commute in and wait around for work.

I know a lad that got coop in mid April last year but I doubt that the lot of us will get sorted.

It's nothing other than frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Pete123456 wrote: »
    The idea that the opportunity will come eventually is great but it is depressing waiting around all day for work in the evening (thank god I'm working... Otherwise I dunno what would be keeping me sane).

I live over 20 miles from college and it's hard to justify a commute in and out for one hour, or even commute in and wait around for work.

I know a lad that got coop in mid April last year but I doubt that the lot of us will get sorted.

It's nothing other than frustrating.

Don't worry to much about the alternative. Also if you are doing the two module option the "summer job" report follows different guidelines than a coop report. Can't remember but it is something you can knock out in a day while drinking at a friends house.

Try keep in touch with other classmates, the hardest part of the alternative experience for myself was social life. Between other friends on coop through out Ireland, distance from home to university and classmates also moved back home for the term, it is easy to lose contact.

Advertisement