Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Career or degree to study ??

Options
  • 22-02-2016 10:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi I am in transition year and I know there is plenty of time but I like looking ahead. I'd like to know what courses people think I would be suited to as I want to look into them. I am very good at english and history, writing and expression subjects. I am also quite musical and have a creative side. I also have an interest in current affairs, media and politics to a certain extent. I am not great at maths or sciences. Just wondering what courses pop into peoples heads for someone like me.
    Thanks in advance for any replies.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

We would need to know a lot more.
    Do you like dealing with people? Working alone? Working to a deadline? Working in a team? Can you cope with full responsibility for soemthign important?

There are a lot of online tests that are made up of lots of questions to help narrow it down. Do a few of them and see do they point you in the same direction. If they do, then I guess you can put some meas on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mahoganygas

The great thing about being good at English & History is that studying humanities in university can be hugely enjoyable. You might also enjoy debating and historical societies and everything that entails.

The downside is that once you have finished college, where do you go next?
    Other than teaching / lecturing there are not a huge amount of career options.
    A lot of people become reluctant teachers when they finish college because they find it difficult to find work outside of academia.

Look at teachers in your school. Talk to lecturers. Ask yourself is that a career you would like.

Advertisement