Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First time putting a build together myself - wouldn't mind some advice

Options
  • 22-02-2016 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hi folks,
    First time trying to put a build together myself, so would appreciate it if anyone could let me know if I'm making any major blunders. The budget is a limiting factor, can't go far beyond €400 (ignoring OS, GPU and monitor, which are there already).

Anyway, the list so far (ignoring case, keyboard etc.) is:
    MB: ASUS M5A97 LE R2.0, AM3+, ATX
    CPU: AMD FX3600
    RAM: 8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 DIMM CL9 Dual Kit
    PSU: Corsair Builder Serie CX430 V3 Non-Modular 80+ Bronze, 430 Watt
    HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200 1000GB, SATA 6Gb/s (obviously would go SS if poss but the budget won't stretch)
    Already have ASUS GTX750TiOC-2GD5 as GPU

Admittedly one or two of the above were slightly random choices driven by lack of time. Any major issues with the above list?

Cheers in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I'd try and go with intel for the processor and a matching board.

Sorry I cannot be more helpful don't know different socket types and prices off my head and cannot be bothered to google them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

i3 4160 €120
    H81M board €50
    Same ram €40
    Same PSU €50
    Same HDD €50
    250gb SDD €90
    Total €400

Much better CPU, more upgrade options and stronger from the start

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭jamescd

What DS said, but you can get a cheaper SSD to fit the €30 delivery charge from MindFactory within the €400 budget. I have the 120GB Sandisk Plus on mine. It's pretty good and only costs €40.

Should come to around €380 then incl. delivery so you'll have 20 quid to spare.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I would recommend going with the larger SSD. I have a 120GB one myself and I find it too small especially if you put modern games on there like GTA V and Battlefield 4 etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭jamescd

It's fine for Windows and just a few games. You can always install more games on the HDD.

I just bought mine so Windows loads fast tbh, don't really mind if the games load slower.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭Wright

I would recommend going with the larger SSD. I have a 120GB one myself and I find it too small especially if you put modern games on there like GTA V and Battlefield 4 etc...

It's a 400 quid build, I reckon its insane if he can get everything listed for even that. It's also pretty amazing GTAV would even run on this build, but according to youtube it will to a degree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Wright wrote: »
    It's a 400 quid build, I reckon its insane if he can get everything listed for even that. It's also pretty amazing GTAV would even run on this build, but according to youtube it will to a degree.

Not that amazing, why wouldn't an i3-4160 and 750Ti run it? He already has the OS and 750Ti so it's effectively a €550+ build.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 stevoz402

You should try save a little more money to put into it. There is no point in cutting corners in the build you will end up regretting it. I built a gaming system and cost was between 1500 - 2000 but that was everything.

I built a decent computer for my brother also and we had a budget of 500 and it end up been 750 and that was with no GPU,screen,keyboard or mouse.

Did you try amazon for parts?

I would recommended buying a decent motherboard and processor.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 fmcco

Thanks lads, I'll take that all on board and make a few changes. The budget is fixed - that's what's in the money box - and the boy can't wait any longer so we'll go for it.

Advertisement