Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Finding good Miniature Schnauzer pups

• 22-02-2016 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Im having problems finding a breeder. I'm looking for a dog in and around March. The ikc haven't been able to point me in the right direction. does any body have a reputable breeder? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Pups ready for homes in March would be born in January. A lot of breeders don't aim to have pups until the warmer months if they can help it.

Also reputable breeders tend to have waiting lists for their pups. It was a year and a half after I started looking that I got my dog.

The IKC is only a registry. The breed clubs are the place to make contact with but I wouldn't say your chances are good at such short notice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Knine

Cap1 wrote: »
    Im having problems finding a breeder. I'm looking for a dog in and around March. The ikc haven't been able to point me in the right direction. does any body have a reputable breeder? Thanks

You won't get one in & around March because there is normally big waiting lists for this breed. Plus as mentioned above lots of people myself included prefer not to have winter puppies. Have you looked at Champdogs? I am friends with several breeders but they don't have puppies at the moment.

How to tell a good puppy? Ask to see both parents. The Stud ( male) may not be on the same premises. Excellent quality adults tend to produce better quality puppies. Talk to the Breeder & tell them exactly what you want, if the puppy is for showing etc. Ask to look at the relevant health tests of the parents. Temperament is very important too. I assess all my puppies & match them up with families I feel will suit rather then letting them pick their own. Good Luck!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Mod
    Posts split away from old thread

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Cap1

Thanks for all the information. Should an owner have document for being ikc regestered and for all the vaccines the dog has had? I've been looking into getting a dog since last November. I didn't realise I had to put my name down for one. My bad for not putting in enough research.

Yes you should be given a change of ownership form for the IKC. You will also need to register the microchip in your name and you should be given a vet card with vaccination details signed by a vet.

• Advertisement

I've been talking to a lady. She has all the certs and micro chipped. Both parents can be seen. Sorry for the silly questions. Is there anyway someone can fake a cert?is the some how to check the ikc requester. She seem on the level. I grew up With muts. I've never had to do this before.

I would be asking for copies of the pedigree for both parents. Parents should be tested for PRA also and I'd want to see the results for these. Also ask what the inbreeding coefficient of the pups is. I find it highly unlikely you would find a pup from a reputable breeder that soon.

IKC registration requires only minimal standards, it is no guarantee of health, quality or ethical breeding.

Thanks . I'll ring and ask the questions.

Advertisement