Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with suspend/restart and splashscreen

Options
  • 23-02-2016 8:34am
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Since I reformatted my PC a couple of months ago I've been having issues with starting and stopping the computer.

I'm using an nVidia GT218 [GeForce 210] PCI-e gfx card with the only compatible drivers (v 340) I can find.

When I suspend the PC, it won't come back into X. Instead I get a series of errors referencing the GFX card.

Also, on boot up I usually have no splash screen available.

I've tried enabling the splash screen at various resolutions but even at the lowest I can't get beyond the screen and into the desktop.

I've tried two ATI cards and in both cases I have the same issue with freezing at the splash screen level. Once I managed to get as far as the desktop (with no splashscreen) but performance was brutally slow.

Now, with the nVidia back enabled, every second time I boot I get a low-res splash and freezing, then on rebooting there's no splash and normal boot.

Has anyone any ideas? Some kernel parameters or magic GRUB config or unknown drivers maybe?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭human 19

You dont say what distro you are using

Can you post some of the output referencing the card that you mentioned?
    Which driver are you using on the machine? You state
    Now, with the nVidia back enabled,
    does that mean you are using that proprietary driver?

Is this the "340" you refer to:

http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/81761/en-us
    GeForce 200 Series:
    GeForce GTX 295, GeForce GTX 285, GeForce GTX 280, GeForce GTX 275, GeForce GTX 260, GeForce GTS 250, GeForce GTS 240, GeForce GT 230, GeForce GT 240, GeForce GT 220, GeForce G210, GeForce 210, GeForce 205

did you get it from a ppa or from nvidia? I am wondering if it has other dependencies

Have you tried adding nomodeset?
    Unfortunately, on some cards this doesnt work properly and you end up with a black screen. Adding the nomodeset parameter instructs the kernel to not load video drivers and use BIOS modes instead until X is loaded.

Advertisement