Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4/10 under 35 yrs old renters could buy now

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

I'm not an Irish citizen (my husband is). I'm an American citizen in my second year of residency. We don't plan to buy a house in Ireland until I have Irish citizenship. We are middle-aged people and so we don't qualify for the incentives granted to younger first-time buyers, even though we are first-time buyers. I prefer not to incur consumer debt and therefore I haven't used credit cards since I was in my early 20s. This makes me unqualified for most credit cards, let alone mortgages. I have more than enough in savings to buy or put the majority down on a modest home in a location that would suit us, but it is in a retirement savings account in a US bank and would trigger high taxes and penalty fees were I to withdraw it before retirement age. My husband is out of work and in school at the moment. I work from home; we will probably end up wherever he winds up getting a job once he is done with his studies. I could theoretically buy, but no matter how much I made, it would not make sense for us right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Because they don't have short memories? Mortgages are scary to a certain generation people. The world economy isn't exactly super healthy. Maybe people want to have proper savings in place and not just the bare minimum deposit so the wait continues? Why should they have to buy at all?

We're currently looking to buy on the edge of London/Essex and the thought of that much debt is freaking me out a bit. On top of that our broker is telling us we should apply for more as we can well afford it apparently. I don't think he'll bring that up again after the death stare I gave him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

The whole article is boom time panic driven rubbish.

Incidentally why do they stress test mortgages with an additional 2% interest when interest rates are probably going to remain static for the next 10 years

Yeh let's never stress test things ever again. and does anybody really think that interest rates won't rise of economies start to grow. The bank's want to increase rates.

He seems to be pushing a buy a house at all costs (rather than an appartment) but there's no evidence apartments don't sell on. All of these articles are agenda driven.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Speedwell wrote: »
    I'm not an Irish citizen (my husband is). I'm an American citizen in my second year of residency. We don't plan to buy a house in Ireland until I have Irish citizenship. We are middle-aged people and so we don't qualify for the incentives granted to younger first-time buyers, even though we are first-time buyers. I prefer not to incur consumer debt and therefore I haven't used credit cards since I was in my early 20s. This makes me unqualified for most credit cards, let alone mortgages. I have more than enough in savings to buy or put the majority down on a modest home in a location that would suit us, but it is in a retirement savings account in a US bank and would trigger high taxes and penalty fees were I to withdraw it before retirement age. My husband is out of work and in school at the moment. I work from home; we will probably end up wherever he winds up getting a job once he is done with his studies. I could theoretically buy, but no matter how much I made, it would not make sense for us right now.

What first time buyer incentives are age related? And why would not having a credit card stop you from getting a mortgage if you can prove repayment with savings.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭I Am The Law

Houses are too expensive, property owners are trying to pass on boom time mistakes to the next generation of buyers. People who are prudent at this point are to be congratulated.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

matrim wrote: »
    What first time buyer incentives are age related? And why would not having a credit card stop you from getting a mortgage if you can prove repayment with savings.

Well your credit rating does depend on paying back loans including credit cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Well your credit rating does depend on paying back loans including credit cards.

Yes but not having a credit card is not seen as a negative for mortgage application. In ireland.
    Obviously a negative if you have one and don't pay it back! !!!

Is the op applying American lending criteria to her think?

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭zzxx

I want to buy but stupidly bought a house with someone 15 years ago. Relationship didn't work out, he kept the house. I left with 5k. Now I'm not a first time buyer so don't get any incentives AND have to come up with 20% deposit on my own while renting. There should be incentives for people who don't have property not just first time buyers. That's why I can't buy right now but saving hard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

What incentives are there now anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

It's says 'afford a mortgage', but never says for how much or where.

Rubbish article

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

Houses are too expensive, property owners are trying to pass on boom time mistakes to the next generation of buyers. People who are prudent at this point are to be congratulated.

Completely agree with you there, if I heard from an estate agent that 'they paid x amount 7 years ago' once I heard it about 5 times, and my reply always was 'well it's a good thing it's not 7 years ago isn't it!?'

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I can afford a mortgage no problem, my rent is higher than the calculated monthly repayments yet the banks tell me I can't afford it. I have long term proof that says otherwise.

It's the banks holding me back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

Article also states that 4/10 people renting can afford a mortgage, most of whom are under 35, so, this could mean really it's 3/10 under 35s can buy. Small difference perhaps, but it's a 25% change.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

amdublin wrote: »
    Yes but not having a credit card is not seen as a negative for mortgage application. In ireland.
    Obviously a negative if you have one and don't pay it back! !!!

Is the op applying American lending criteria to her think?

I'm not the OP, but you mean me? Yes, very likely, and thanks for calling attention to the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

whiskeyman wrote: »

Rubbish article

Pretty much, a deposit in Dublin can buy a house outright in other areas of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

This smacks of government pressure on RTE to write something to get people buying houses

"Incidentally why do they stress test mortgages with an additional 2% interest when interest rates are probably going to remain static for the next 10 years?"

Because it's prudent, idiots!

"people under the age of 35 are likely to pounce in the property market once confidence returns. This in turn could drive up the market in some areas"

Quick, buy a house!

"The ideal Rainy Day Fund (RDF - for emergencies, sudden loss of income or that investment opportunity e.g. the 10% deposit requirement for your home)"

No, a rainy day fund shouldn't be raided for an "investment opportunity".

• Registered Users Posts: 68,907 ✭✭✭✭L1011

With this in mind what is holding people back from buying that can buy ?

Some people don't want to buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

whiskeyman wrote: »

Rubbish article

It also assumes that everybody WANTS to buy as soon as they can financially do so. It suits some people to rent and not tie themselves down to one location with a long-term financial commitment.

Or they can continue saving to increase their deposit for when they do buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

I'm 35 and can afford a mortgage now. But since I live in Dublin, i can onl afford a mortgage on a small 2/3 bed house. I am going to keep putting my savings away for another few month while house prices continue to fall off and try afford myself a house I want to live in for life rather than just buying a starter home just for the sake of "getting on the ladder".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

We have the full 20% deposit and fees etc. We are planning to rent for one more year so we have money for furniture etc easily. Reasons to keep renting are mainly that there is diddly squat worth buying. They are all over priced dumps looking for 600k and need another 100k to live in, in or preferred dublin areas. They aren't worth 400. Proof being that they haven't budged from daft in 6 months. There is very little on the market. Same in our other preferred areas in North kildare. For some reason nothing decent is coming on. They are either over priced or have tiny north facing gardens etc. No decent family homes around thati can find. Also i have an aversion to tiny new builds with no front gardens etc.

• Advertisement

..rather than just buying a starter home just for the sake of "getting on the ladder"

I completely disagree with this notion of "getting on the ladder" too. Buy a house you can realistically see yourself living in for life. Don't buy a house with intentions of "moving up" in a few years. For reasons x,y,z you may never be able to leave your "starter home".

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Speedwell wrote: »
    I'm not the OP, but you mean me? Yes, very likely, and thanks for calling attention to the point.

Oops sorry! Yes meant yourself. You should have a talk in the bank if you are interested in a mortgage at some point. The differences between us and ireland are hard to get head around (and vice versa!).
    Ironically something good in ireland is bad in america. And something good in america is bad in ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,615 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

gaius c wrote: »
    You're an idiot to be paying rent to live 30 minutes from work really!

When I rented, I was always 30 mins or so from work.

I preferred it that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

What a piece of rubbish article. a couple with 4500 net a month? What about reality? I'm single on a reasonable average tech wage of 30k gross. That means app 100k mortgage allowed based on the 3.5 times salary rule and You cannot buy anything for that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

Skatedude wrote: »
    What a piece of rubbish article. a couple with 4500 net a month? What about reality? I'm single on a reasonable average tech wage of 30k gross. That means app 100k mortgage allowed based on the 3.5 times salary rule and You cannot buy anything for that?

You'd get a one bed apartment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

Anything in our price range is crap, either we're going to have to get major raises in work and/or save more for the deposit, probably a bit of both!

A mortgage repayment on the type of house we'd like would be 2/3 of what we've been paying in rent for the past 7 years. And that was with one of us out of work for 4-5 months and with a baby coming along.

So yeah, we can afford it but still can't get approved for enough with the bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

I don't know what you are doing in tech but if it's development get looking for another job asap because 30K is very low.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

A couple with E4500 net a month is earning E32,500 pa annum each.
    Seems pretty realistic to me.

According to this link https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_European_countries_by_average_wage, the average monthly net income in Ireland is €2129, so the example in the article is still €242 shy of what the average couple can put towards a mortgage. However, data is from Q3 2013 so it may have increased somewhat since then, in all likelihood it actually has.

However those figures reinforce the undeniable fact that buying alone is a non-starter for the majority of people in Ireland at the moment. Even those on a €70k/yr job in Dublin could "only" borrow €245K, which would offer precious little in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭6541

I can afford a Mortgage. But in my opinion you would be insane to purchase property in Ireland now. Again this is my opinion. It is akin to buying something that you actually don't really know the value of.
    The market is completely distorted. It's like going to a market in one of them north African countries and haggling with the Market trader. You both know the price is rubbish, you agree somewhere in the middle and even at that you are still getting ripped off.
    If you can afford to hold back do because my opinion is the market is Fooked !

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement