Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Portable device to run an OS off

Options
  • 23-02-2016 10:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I've an Asus Zenbook UX305LA and want to run another OS (probably a Linux OS but possibly some version of Windows) off an external drive of some kind. Have a pretty fast USB3.0 flash drive but I know they're not ideal for storing an OS on due to the potentially large amount of writing to the drive involved.

I'm finding it harder to get info about how effective external hard drives are, with a budget of about 80-100 euro, would it be possible to find a 128gb external hard drive (ideally SSD) with fast enough of write speeds via USB to run a more demanding OS with minimal observable slowdown in comparison to using the internal drive?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

While you CAN run windows live off a USB is an absolute dog. Don't go down that road.

I've an Ultrafit 64GB which is great for booting stuff off as needed.

This uses an SSD Controller and would be what you're looking for:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CMFVYGTX3B-128GB-Flash-Voyager-Performance/dp/B00S89FIDE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1456220207&sr=8-1&keywords=voyager-gtx
    Warranty Five years

If they guarantee it for 5yrs then its implied most units won't fail until a while after this. And even it it does Corsair customer care is excellent and you'll just get a new one. Supports TRIM and SMART like a regular SSD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

That thing looks like a bit of a beast! The size of it might be an issue (it'd either block one of the two remaining USB slots or the power jack).

Are there any clear upsides or downsides to it in comparison to an external SSD beyond the added portability? Like, from a performance perspective?

Its just an SSD in a small form factor with a USB interface, nothing more than that really.

Oh BTW, if you want to boot of a USB you may have to disable TPM and enable legacy mode, which means its not exactly quick to swap OS's at will. I'd replace the internal SSD and put both on that.

Advertisement