Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Temporary fence ideas

Options
  • 23-02-2016 10:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

Hi,

At the rear/side of our house we have a patio and garden area. One end is blocked off with a nice fence and gate. The other end is open. We are looking a fence that we could put in for a 3-4 years to keep our toddler from escaping.

I would like it to be low cost.
    Handy enough to install
    Not a complete eye sore.

Any ideas appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭wait4me

A picture might help ;). How wide is the side you are trying to fence? Your description it is difficult to understand; is it the side of the house that you are trying to block or the end of the garden?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

For a toddler you could check out some of the plastic mesh fence material they have in most garden centers and glambia. Then attach it to decent quality fence posts. All depends if you can get fence posts into the ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Laugh at this all you want, but I did this for a friend a couple of years ago and I used sheep wire. Cheap and stable but most importantly toddle proof. I planted it with a load of climbing veg like beans and peas so it didn't look too bad and it's easily removed.

You can pick up a roll and some small stakes ceply in any rural hardware or agri providers. Try asking on the farming forum for a local supplier. You won't need the heavy duty stakes as it's only toddlers/small children you're keeping in, not live animals.

This is what I'm on about.

up-close-fencing-image-padraigh-Moran-Borrisokane-300x300.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

I used sheep wire but found our toddler used it to climb on. I found with a smaller mesh it was a lot more difficult to climb and get a toe hold.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭amallon

garden.jpg

The sheep wire is an idea. Its a new build and everything is still a work in progress so I'm not too worried about the aesthetics. This is a picture of where the fence needs to go, from the sun room to the wall. This will give him the run of the back of the house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭wait4me

Something you might want to consider: how are you going to "fix" any fence to the (side) wall of the house. The other side is okay as you can attach an upright to the wall on the RHS of the pic.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Punkyblip

If that's a retaining wall in your pic holding back all that soil it doesn't look the healthiest.

The wall might just be discoloured and it could be perfect but I would have it checked by an engineer to ensure that its strong enough to carry the load behind it.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭amallon

The retaining wall was built long before the house so its seen a fair bit of weather.

Thanks for the suggestions. The plastic mesh might suit best. I can get a roll for £35 and some stakes for another £20 from amazon. I need to work out how to fix it to the wall of the house, maybe I'll screw in some clips which I can fix to.

Advertisement