Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

South England for a week

• 23-02-2016 10:43am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭

I'm heading to a wedding in Kent in early October and have decided to make a short holiday out of it so am looking for things to do and visit around the south of England. I'd like to visit Brighton, but other than that I'm not sure where else to go. I'll have a rental car, but wouldn't like too long a drive!

Any advice on where to visit?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

chewed wrote: »
    I'm heading to a wedding in Kent in early October and have decided to make a short holiday out of it so am looking for things to do and visit around the south of England. I'd like to visit Brighton, but other than that I'm not sure where else to go. I'll have a rental car, but wouldn't like too long a drive!

Any advice on where to visit?

a few random ideas:

Canterbury
    Winchester
    HighClere Castle (Where downton abbey is filmed)
    Hastings
    cliffs of Dover

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭chewed

Thanks! I always wanted to see Cliffs of Dover so will put this on the list and possibly one of the cathedrals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,975 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Rye is also a charming town to visit.

The rail network is fairly extensive as well which might cut the driving down too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Brighton is well worth a visit.
    For some touring in Sussex I'd suggest smaller towns\villages and particularly those along the South Downs, which stretches from Eastbourne to Winchester
    An alternative to the white cliffs of Dover is the Seven Sisters Park, just west of Eastbourne
    Be sure to take a walk on the Downs for stunning views. Devils Dyke view point 5 miles north of Brighton is very accessible. But there are many others.

Lewes is worth a visit. bustling market town, old Tudor town , Anne of Cleeves House. Have a pint of the local Harvery's Best.
    There are so many small quaint villages: Alfriston, Ditchling. Further West: Arundel with it's castle, Goodwood, Petworth, Midhurst. Lots of fine houses to visit, National Trust etc.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,265 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

The New Forest is 90 minutes west of Brighton. Well worth meandering through; beautiful old villages, with cattle and horses roaming free. Real old-style (but expensive) England.

Other attractions around as well, like the National Motor Museum (incorporating a Top Gear Museum) if that kind of thing is of interest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭patg

I would second the suggestion for New Forest.
    Of course you have London on your doorstep from Kent and there is plenty there for anyone.
    I like Leeds Castle too which I think is near Maidstone (no where Leeds!!)
    Brighton as you say yourself is a great spot particularly if the weather is good.
    Otherwise some really good suggestions above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭chewed

Thanks for all the tips! There's a lot of good destinations here. I'd definitely be into doing some nice walks/hikes.

I think my wife would file for a divorce if I dragged her along to a transport museum. She still hasn't forgotten the time I brought her to the one in Belfast! :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,265 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

chewed wrote: »
    I think my wife would file for a divorce if I dragged her along to a transport museum. She still hasn't forgotten the time I brought her to the one in Belfast! :D
    Ha! Fair enough so. :D

Don't let that necessarily put you off the New Forest though. I just through it out there as an example of other activities in the area. Really the Forest itself is reason enough to visit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Chichester is pretty. Portsmouth has the naval museum, hms victory etc.

Advertisement