Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal v Barcelona

• 23-02-2016 1:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭

Big game for the Gunners tonight. I predict a close enough first leg and a possible mauling in the second.

Monumental task to shut out Barca but that's probably what it will take if they're to have any hope of progressing.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

I think they'll batter us tonight, we just don't have the wherewithal to play the way you'd need to in order to get a result; play dirty, hope for a lenient ref, keep it tight and try hold out for a 0-0 a lá Espanyol just after New Years.

That being said; their trips to London haven't been exactly domination (D1 L1) and we came damn close to knocking them out the last time (ridiculous red card @ 1-1, Bendtner through 1v1 in the last minute). They were held away by both Leverkusen and Roma in the group also. So their is some sliver of hope in that.

All things considered though with the form their front 3 are in, we'll be doing well to hold them to 2 goals imo.

Whatever about our chances; its fecking great to be involved in these kinds of matches regardless. Sure, we may well be gone after tonight, but at least there'll be that tingling feeling of anything is possible when the team walk out to the CL tune. We've got Barcelona at home on a Tuesday night, if you can't get excited by that then you'd want to consider what you get out of this game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

Barcelona to easily win both legs

Plus win the competition - for the next 6 years.
    //thread.
    //UCL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Got a feeling the Gunners will get a result tonight.
    Really hope they can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

cson wrote: »
    That being said; their trips to London haven't been exactly domination (D1 L1) and we came damn close to knocking them out the last time (ridiculous red card @ 1-1, Bendtner through 1v1 in the last minute). They were held away by both Leverkusen and Roma in the group also. So their is some sliver of hope in that.

They also had what I'm fairly sure was a perfectly good goal ruled out for offside.

Barca fairly battered Arsenal in that leg and you were extremely lucky to still have a chance going to the Camp Nou.

I'm not sure Barca team is as good as that one in general. But they've got possibly the greatest attacking force of all time, so there's that.

Arsenal could make a real go of it and outplay Barca for two thirds of the game but then Barca could just score 2-4 goals and all but finish off the tie.

I haven't been hugely impressed with a lot of their play lately but they're still blasting goals in from all angles so it doesn't matter much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Arsenal have a fairly decent record at home in the knock out stages of the CL although if Suarez, Messi and Neymar play to their potential then I think Barca could win by a couple of goals.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Barca have always had a habit of picking up a few mediocre results away from home over the years. Arsenal must hope this is one of those nights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

We will either lose tonight by a couple, get a valiant win or draw in Barcelona and go out on away goals, or have a valiant win or draw tonight and get a pasting in Spain.

Either way Barca are going through

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I think 2-1 Barca tonight but im hoping for the Gunners to do the business.

Theyll certaiy need a lead to take to Spain if they want to stand a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

One huge difference between Enrique's and Pep's side is that for big away matches Pep's side tended to draw more. Barcelona arguably won La liga this season in the first half of the season without Messi and Neymar for periods, with all of their toughest away fixtures stacked together last year. That said, this team is currently showing signs of mental fatigue. They've played a game on average every 72 hours since October. In January in particular their fixture list was gruesome with games against high intensity sides. To put it bluntly, this is probably the best time to be playing Barcelona.

Arsenal need to win this leg. The biggest mistake Wenger can make is to assume they're going to be similar to the past encounters he had with Barcelona. This Barca are different beast entirely and have more in common with Simeone's Atletico and Heynckes' Bayern than many give them credit for. Arsenal will likely get good a period of dominance tonight. They just need to be careful that they don't over exert themselves during that period. Too many teams this season have fallen into the trap of thinking they're nullifying Barca when what they're actually doing is using up all their gas far too soon allowing Barca to hit them hard in the final 25 minutes when Barca play a high press that few can live with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I think we'll get murdered tonight, and I normally am a hopeless optimist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,053 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

As good as barca are upfront, they are still suspect at the back IMHO. It's just that a lot of teams haven't got the talent to test them.

Hopefully arsenals big players will be on the top of their game tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Oranage2 wrote: »
    I think we'll get murdered tonight .

Please God!

Please God!

I think it's in everybody else's best interests that the 3 remaining English clubs do as well as possible.

Besides, it's always interesting to see the heavy favourite go early on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Expect a complete meltdown in the United thread if Wellbeck scores the winner for Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I find it next to impossible to see how any team beats this Barca side, really.

To put it really simply; Devastating on the counter, and still have the ability to kill you if you sit back in banks of four and let them have it.

Messi, Suarez, and Neymar in the same team is ridiculous. The goals and interplay that the achieve every week is phenomenal. Backed up by Iniesta and Rakitic and its easily the best team I've seen in my lifetime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

As a United fan I don't get to watch much worthwhile football these days, so I'm looking forward to this one.

Hmmmm, decisions, decisions.

Probably catch the return leg of Batman v Superman if this tie is over tonight.

Untitled_0339ff50b43cce44294c_1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Knex. wrote: »
    I find it next to impossible to see how any team beats this Barca side, really.

To put it really simply; Devastating on the counter, and still have the ability to kill you if you sit back in banks of four and let them have it.

Messi, Suarez, and Neymar in the same team is ridiculous. The goals and interplay that the achieve every week is phenomenal. Backed up by Iniesta and Rakitic and its easily the best team I've seen in my lifetime.

I'm of the same page. They may not control games like pep's side did but they are arguably more effective. MSN aside, they're a rigid side. Busquets is arguably the most important player after Messi.

Great thing about sport is that anything can happen. Cannot recall a side though that actually deserved to win the champions league. Pep's 09 side should have been eliminated by Chelsea. Their 11 side should have been eliminated by Arsenal. Jose' Porto and inter sides rode their luck and got some fortunate decisions. Bayern should have been eliminated, Chelsea had a miraculous spell of fortune, and real Madrid needed four minutes of additional time to scrape extra time. Last season apart from maybe the final Barca won all ties by a comfortable margin that their play deserved. I can't think of that being the case in any season of the UCL in recent memory! Teams have had luck and important official decisions go their way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

NIMAN wrote: »
    As good as barca are upfront, they are still suspect at the back IMHO. It's just that a lot of teams haven't got the talent to test them.

Hopefully arsenals big players will be on the top of their game tonight.

Real Madrid are better equipped than Arsenal all over the pitch, bar maybe on goal, and they still got destroyed by Barca and it needed Navas to be on top form to keep the score reaching near double figures in the game at the Bernabeu.

I'm not saying Barca cant be got at but if theyre in the mood and on form, no team on the planet, even one as good as Real are up top, can live with them or punish their back line when give a slight chance.

That being said, I'm still hoping Arsenal knock them out and will be cheering them on tonight. Arsenal get a positive result tonight and it will setup a very interesting return game.

Its a shame that Juve v Bayern is on the same night as this too. :o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭fuzzydunlop85

United fan but hope Arsenal get a decent result tonight, head says 2-1 barca though.Is this on RTE ? Am looking forward to hearing the thoughts of 'Spanish football expert' Eamon Dunphy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

United fan but hope Arsenal get a decent result tonight, head says 2-1 barca though.Is this on RTE ? Am looking forward to hearing the thoughts of 'Spanish football expert' Eamon Dunphy.
    TV3 I think. Mark Lawrenson instead probably :rolleyes:

Hope we get Brian Kerr.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

I think it's in everybody else's best interests that the 3 remaining English clubs do as well as possible.

Besides, it's always interesting to see the heavy favourite go early on.

Except if you're not involved with or don't support an English team.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

To know where you stand you must be judged against the best. Arsenal will be judged tonight against this great Barcelona team, football in 2016 knows no sterner test. They will test how sharp Arsenal's attack is, they will judge Arsenal's discipline, they will judge Arsenal's ability to retain possession, they will judge Arsenal's ability to transition, they will judge Arsenal's ability to defend collectively, they will judge every facet of Arsenal's game in the most stringent manner conceivable and at the end of it all Arsenal will know where they stand against the best that football has to offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

TV3 I think. Mark Lawrenson instead probably :rolleyes:

Hope we get Brian Kerr.
    yep, TV3

Bayern v Juve just on pay sat channels... or FTA if you "live in Switzerland"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

To know where you stand you must be judged against the best. Arsenal will be judged tonight against this great Barcelona team, football in 2016 knows no sterner test. They will test how sharp Arsenal's attack is, they will judge Arsenal's discipline, they will judge Arsenal's ability to retain possession, they will judge Arsenal's ability to transition, they will judge Arsenal's ability to defend collectively, they will judge every facet of Arsenal's game in the most stringent manner conceivable and at the end of it all Arsenal will know where they stand against the best that football has to offer.

That is the second leg, it's in two weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,479 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Arsenal to shock the world tonight , can see them winning tie tonight.
    4-0.

eagle eye wrote: »
    That is the second leg, it's in two weeks.

Far from it, it's every single time this Barcelona team step onto a pitch. They are the standard bearers, they are the champions of everything and to face them is to test yourself against the very best. 1 leg, 2 legs, doesn't matter. For 90 minutes tonight Arsenal have to attempt to slow down or stop Luis Enrique's monster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Far from it, it's every single time this Barcelona team step onto a pitch. They are the standard bearers, they are the champions of everything and to face them is to test yourself against the very best. 1 leg, 2 legs, doesn't matter. For 90 minutes tonight Arsenal have to attempt to slow down or stop Luis Enrique's monster.

Between La Liga and the Champion's league they have 9 wins, 4 draws and 2 losses this season away from home which is hardly standard bearing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Arsenal to shock the world tonight , can see them winning tie tonight.
    4-0.

You can get 250/1 on that....

I'm going to say either Barca 1-0 or 1-1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

yep, TV3

Bayern v Juve just on pay sat channels... or FTA if you "live in Switzerland"

FTA on BT sport showcase it you can get freeview

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Nil all with Messi to miss a peno in injury time.

Except if you're not involved with or don't support an English team.

Obviously. I should have been more specific but was talking to a fellow United fan.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Between La Liga and the Champion's league they have 9 wins, 4 draws and 2 losses this season away from home which is hardly standard bearing.

It is. Their record is very good and anyway it'll be Messi, Suarez, Neymar, Iniesta, Busquets, Pique ect. lining up against those Arsenal players, testing them mentally and physically, not their record.

It should be a fantastic game and an excellent tie overall. In my opinion, Barcelona will eat them alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Arsenal not in great form
    Barca probably the best attacking line up of all time

Its going to be a rough night at the Emirates I fear.

I'm just hoping that it's respectable.

Arsenal will play as well as they have done all season, their game against mutd included, going to be a close tie overall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Actually really looking forward to this as a "neutral" although will be avoiding this thread so as to avoid the numerous monologues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

I fancy arsenal here. All European teams find it tough at the Emirates. 2-1 arsenal I'm thinking

No spoilers for the juve match please. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Hope Arsenal can do something tonight and get a good result. It is hard to see but who knows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Hopefully Arsenal will smash Barca to pieces.

3-1 Barcelona.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Pity juve and bayern is on the same night, anyways come on Barca!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

All this judging. It's a game of ball, not the X Factor!

TV3's live fullscreen presentation is awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Anyway, as someone who supports neither side Id love to see Arsenal progress. While I don't particularly care about Arsenal, it'd be great to see Wenger win the CL before he retires

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

LiamoSail wrote: »
    All this judging. It's a game of ball, not the X Factor!

A lot of superflous bullsh!t to simply make the point that this is a huge test for Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,114 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Stupid foul by Monrealto leave him walking a tightrope for the rest of the game.

Quazzie wrote: »
    Stupid foul by Monrealto leave him walking a tightrope for the rest of the game.

In fairness his foot slipped and he lost balance.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,407 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Lovely break, but then Ramsey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,745 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Lovely break, but then Ramsey.

Clearly Ozils fault. Dreadful cutback.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Luis Enrique giving it the oul Liam Gallagher tonight with that coat.

• Advertisement
Advertisement