Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal v Barcelona

14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    It's holding him back alright.

I don't think that has been the case for a long time now. He's generally been lethal for Barca as he was in his last season at Liverpool.

Of course, it's occurred to me that you may well be sarcastic there but since I'm not sure I'll give you a legit reply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    It's holding him back alright.

Selective quoting.

If you'd have quoted my following post you'd have clearly seen the angle I was taking was holding him back from being one of the best of all time.

But y'all just want the rise which is tragic. You won't find me arsing around the Augsburg thread next Thursday if you lose.
    Basil3 wrote: »
    For his last season at Liverpool, it was low. From memory worse than Giroud. He just shoots an awful lot, which is what you want a striker to do.

I'd hazard he's getting more chances, and more quality chances given the company he's in now.

CSF wrote: »
    I don't think that has been the case for a long time now. He's generally been lethal for Barca as he was in his last season at Liverpool.

Of course, it's occurred to me that you may well be sarcastic there but since I'm not sure I'll give you a legit reply.

Yeah was being sarcastic.

Only on boards could you read a players finishing is letting him down when he has 41 goals in 38 apps. Love it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

When you get right down to it, Suarez' two chances weren't really sitters.

A header like that across the goal is tricky enough, and for the 2nd half shot off the post, he's picking it up in a scramble having to quickly adjust his feet and Cech isn't too far away, closing the space down.

Even Neymar's finish, while weak, isn't taken in oceans of space, the keepers rushing out and all that.

As far as Messi goes, the man scores about half his penalties and misses his share of chances form open play as well.

Only a very select few strikers are really ruthless with these kinds of finishes all the time.

Barca's lot are a bit more erratic than the likes of Henry, Van Persie or Aguero, but where they lack in the complete ability to finish irrespective of the circumstances once they're in range, they instead focus on making a large number of easy chances for themselves with what they do outside the box and more instinctive type finishing when the ball falls nicely for themselves.

The Aguero's of this world have 10/10 finishing, whereas MSN probably don't, but they've got an extra "10/10 Witchcraft" attribute that makes up for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I think it's ridiculous to single out Suarez for missing chances. He can miss three times as much as he is now and I'd still want him in my team every week. He scores more than enough, far more than enough, decisive goals as it is. If he was putting everything away, he'd be superhuman. Instead of being simply as good as there is right now in world football.

If you want to look at a striker who misses habitually, without also scoring habitually, then look no further than Olivier Giroud.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Ramsey I thought was very poor. Sanchez is a very good player but he isn't really at a world class level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Arghus wrote: »
    I think it's ridiculous to single out Suarez for missing chances. He can miss three times as much as he is now and I'd still want him in my team every week. He scores more than enough, far more than enough, decisive goals as it is. If he was putting everything away, he'd be superhuman. Instead of being simply as good as there is right now in world football.

If you want to look at a striker who misses habitually, without also scoring habitually, then look no further than Olivier Giroud.

Giroud didnt have any chances today besides the header which the goalie saved. He did however have a big impact on the game and fashioned every decent chance that Arsenal created. The loss cant even come close to being put near Giroud, for the first goal, they had chances to put it into the box but passed around like idiots, and Per got caught out, second goal, why did Per take it down, he could have easily cleared it and Flamini is just useless anymore never at the races.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Busquets and Iniesta (in spite of his hair) ran the show, but they were largely let by how Arsenal dropped back.

Messi ran at full pelt about four decisive times in the game, for the opening goal, the penalty buildup and a couple of breaks in the last few minutes.

astonaidan wrote: »
    Giroud didnt have any chances today besides the header which the goalie saved. He did however have a big impact on the game and fashioned every decent chance that Arsenal created. The loss cant even come close to being put near Giroud, for the first goal, they had chances to put it into the box but passed around like idiots, and Per got caught out, second goal, why did Per take it down, he could have easily cleared it and Flamini is just useless anymore never at the races.

I'm not blaming Giroud at all for the loss tonight, I was talking about his play generally. I was just using him as a comparison in so much as that he's a striker who typically needs a few misses before he'll bag a goal or will score a seemingly difficult chance and then blow a succession of easy ones: He misses a lot and scores a bit.

Suarez, on the other hand, misses a bit but scores bucket loads too. Some people were using that as a stick to beat him with - That he's wasteful. Maybe he is, but if he was playing in my team those potentially sixty odd goals a season would quell any qualms I'd have about his finishing power!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Responding to the many digs that Arsenal have been getting by Liverpool and their faithful. Pathetic how supporters of the other clubs are queuing up to mock Arsenal for being defeated by the finest club side in the world when their own club cant even qualify for the competition. :confused:

It's pathetic tbh, was getting texts from my mates after the first goal went in. They are all Liverpool and Man Utd fans too. I do find it baffling why some Liverpool fans have this huge dislike for Arsenal, it's not like they are rivals or anything.

Anyway, on the game itself was hugely disappointed with the two goals conceded which were both preventable. No way back now in the tie, so all in for the league now. A win at Old Trafford Sunday would definitely have me forgetting about this match.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

It's pathetic tbh, was getting texts from my mates after the first goal went in. They are all Liverpool and Man Utd fans too. I do find it baffling why some Liverpool fans have this huge dislike for Arsenal, it's not like they are rivals or anything.

Anyway, on the game itself was hugely disappointed with the two goals conceded which were both preventable. No way back now in the tie, so all in for the league now. A win at Old Trafford Sunday would definitely have me forgetting about this match.

Seems to be a recent thing. Probably down to the fact that Suarez was willing to turn his back on them to sign for you guys?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

For all the talk Arsenal fans love doing about other teams, they may want look at themselves first for while.

Return leg could be fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I cant believe Suarez's finishing ability is been questioned, he has 41 goals in 38 games ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

For all the talk Arsenal fans love doing about other teams, they may want look at themselves first for while.

Return leg could be fun.

We will most likely get humped but after last night its almost certainly completely irrelevant for the rest of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

A though about last night was how when Arsenal got forward they didn't play their usual style. There was less players forward, obviously concerned about Barca's counter-attacking ability, and for me when you are trying to be at your best you have to play the way you normally do. I know it's high risk but that is what the best teams do all the time.

eagle eye wrote: »
    A though about last night was how when Arsenal got forward they didn't play their usual style. There was less players forward, obviously concerned about Barca's counter-attacking ability, and for me when you are trying to be at your best you have to play the way you normally do. I know it's high risk but that is what the best teams do all the time.

The problem is that Arsenal have very little confidence, as they have been playing rubbish for months. It's amazing they're near the top of the league.

There's not one player in the Arsenal team that is in any kind of goal-scoring form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Return leg could be fun.

Do explain? We kept it tight for the first half and then in the 2nd half had a right go at them?

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Domo1982

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Do explain? We kept it tight for the first half and then in the 2nd half had a right go at them?

What game were you watching pal?

It reminded me of a non league team v premier league team FA cup tie.

Barca never got out of 2nd gear and could have won 5-1.

Point proven

Domo1982 wrote: »

I would be inclined to ask you the very same question. Both sides had there chances. Could of easily been 3-3. Barca didnt play there best but thats the difference at the highest level small mistakes are punished.

• Advertisement

Point proven

Your going on like we set up like San Marino ffs. You hardly expect us to go all out attack with 3 of the deadliest strikers in world football against us. We played to win the game in a clever way but it didnt work out on the night, made a couple of mistakes and got punished. Small details is the difference at this level.

You talk as if Barca weren't trying, and Arsenal had no chances.

I think in the end Barca only had 4 shots on goal. Arsenal's tactics were spot on, but their execution wasn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

This talk of Barca being in 2nd gear is nonsense. Does anybody honestly think they were just happy to flute about and let Arsenal have chances?
    They mightn't have been at their best but they were still trying. No team is ever at their peak week in week out

Your going on like we set up like San Marino ffs. You hardly expect us to go all out attack with 3 of the deadliest strikers in world football against us. We played to win the game in a clever way but it didnt work out on the night, made a couple of mistakes and got punished. Small details is the difference at this level.

I never said anything about San Marino, but ye were comfortablely 2nd best, even if you don't want admit it

This talk of Barca being in 2nd gear is nonsense. Does anybody honestly think they were just happy to flute about and let Arsenal have chances?
    They mightn't have been at their best but they were still trying. No team is ever at their peak week in week out

I made a point of studying our defensive shape in the first half and it was hard to fault it. Now we had sacrificed our attack but for the first 40 or so minutes Barca did not look like getting near goal. We had a lot of men behind the ball. Even when we committed more men forward i couldnt really complain too much. 2 fatal slips and 2 goals

Our final ball let us down on the breaks. Thinking back to the days of Bergkamp, Pires, Ljungberg and Henry, we would have slaughtered Barca on the break with that calirbe of player. Ozil aside, none of them (including Sanchez) attacked with plan or purpose. No telepathy or communication

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Domo1982

I made a point of studying our defensive shape in the first half and it was hard to fault it. Now we had sacrificed our attack but for the first 40 or so minutes Barca did not look like getting near goal. We had a lot of men behind the ball. Even when we committed more men forward i couldnt really complain too much. 2 fatal slips and 2 goals

Our final ball let us down on the breaks. Thinking back to the days of Bergkamp, Pires, Ljungberg and Henry, we would have slaughtered Barca on the break with that calirbe of player. Ozil aside, none of them (including Sanchez) attacked with plan or purpose. No telepathy or communication

Sure it impossible to have a discussion with guys like this - You're letting your support of Arsenal distort your view I'm afraid.

I support neither and enjoyed the game as a neutral.

Arsenal were taken to school completely. Sure they had some chances but so do the likes of Granada and Las Palmas when they play Barca. Its just the way there are. One main chance where you guys should have scored in the 1st half.

Barca were not at their best but still scored 2 goals,Hit the post and had 3-4 other great chances to score.

It wasn't even close. There's no shame in it either as no English team would have lived with them.

Just have a little dignity maybe when discussing the game.

D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Ye I remember when that quartet were tearing up Europe and winning everything left right and centre.

Sure it impossible to have a discussion with guys like this - You're letting your support of Arsenal distort your view I'm afraid.

Arsenal were taken to school completely. Sure they had some chances but so do the likes of Granada and Las Palmas when they play Barca. Its just the way there are. One main chance where you guys should have scored in the 1st half.

Barca were not at their best but still scored 2 goals,Hit the post and had 3-4 other great chances to score.

It wasn't even close. There's no shame in it either as no English team would have lived with them.

D

yeah im pretty much in agreement :confused: whats your point exactly??. My point is, we set ourselves up as well as we could. its not easy, as they are always going to have chances but i did feel they were relatively restricted in the first half at least. Of course a team with that combo is going to be difficult to mark. My actual point is that so called better teams like Bayern, would not have coped any better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

D

Dignity ? - I really don't think his view of the game brings his dignity in question. It's a valid view of a game by an Arsenal fan seen through that filter. Talk of dignity is lacking in dignity imo !

• Advertisement

Ye I remember when that quartet were tearing up Europe and winning everything left right and centre.

Like your comrade, youve completely missed my point. My point is that as an attacking unit that those four would have done more damage on the counter in comparison to the present crop we have. Yes, we didnt win anything in Europe you dont have to remind me of that, but they were better attacking players and better passers of the ball

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Like your comrade, youve completely missed my point. My point is that as an attacking unit that those four would have done more damage on the counter in comparison to the present crop we have. Yes, we didnt win anything in Europe you dont have to remind me of that, but they were better attacking players and better passers of the ball

And they would have "slaughtered" the best team in the world? Because they did such a great job "slaughtering" the best teams if their day? Those are your words, not mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Arsenal played well outfield and lived with Barca till they inevitably tired.

The big difference was that when Neymar was put clear he sucked two defenders in and squared the ball to Messi.

When Ox was put clear, he kicked the ball too far ahead and injured himself.

When Messi got the ball in front of goal, he tidly sidestepped the keeper and finished.

When Ox did he kicked the ball off his standing leg.

Barca are a much better team but they have Arsenal the opportunities to get something from that game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

And they would have "slaughtered" the best team in the world? Because they did such a great job "slaughtering" the best teams if their day? Those are your words, not mine.

Can you please stop this straw man nonsense. His/her point was those players would have been far more clinical and intelligent with the potential positions arsenal had found themselves in.

Arsenal's transitions last night were executed very poorly.

That Barca defence at present while being nice players on the ball is hardly a fortress in fairness so i think they could do damage to them yes.

Dont forget Celtic beat them back around 12/13 at Parkhead

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

gosplan wrote: »
    Arsenal played well outfield and lived with Barca till they inevitably tired.

The big difference was that when Neymar was put clear he sucked two defenders in and squared the ball to Messi.

When Ox was put clear, he kicked the ball too far ahead and injured himself.

When Messi got the ball in front of goal, he tidly sidestepped the keeper and finished.

When Ox did he kicked the ball off his standing leg.

Barca are a much better team but they have Arsenal the opportunities to get something from that game.

We should go to Barca believing we can get goals. Nothing to lose now and an early goal would make Barca very nervous indeed. Go for it. Alternatively, concentrate on maybe winning the league and FA cup? Decisions, decisions.

• Advertisement

Tipp Gunner exaggerated slightly, to make a point about the difference in attacking quality in two two separate eras of Arsenal sides. As we all very well know, Arsenal made no major inroads in Europe at the time, even with Henry et al.- apart from a European Cup final defeat and the odd satisfying victory. He wasn't claiming that Arsenal vanquished all that came before them in Europe in those years, just that compared to what's now spearheading the attack for the team, there is a huge difference in quality.

I really don't think he's lambasting Barca at all, he's really bemoaning the current state of Arsenals attack.

"Slaughtered" is a hyperbolic statement. And where would some of us be, naming no names of course, around here if we couldn't rely on those every once and a while?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

fans of major teams with lots of fans wondering why fans of other major teams with lots of fans enjoy them loosing ? its called rivalry ,all fans of all clubs do it,at every level. just take it when its your turn,or ya look like eeejits , some teams get it more than most,swings n roundabouts,

questioning the behaviour is bizarre,

Arghus wrote: »
    Tipp Gunner exaggerated slightly, to make a point about the difference in attacking quality in two two separate eras of Arsenal sides. As we all very well know, Arsenal made no major inroads in Europe at the time, even with Henry et al.- apart from a European Cup final defeat and the odd satisfying victory. He wasn't claiming that Arsenal vanquished all that came before them in Europe in those years, just that compared to what's now spearheading the attack for the team, there is a huge difference in quality.

I really don't think he's lambasting Barca at all, he's really bemoaning the current state of Arsenals attack.

"Slaughtered"
    is a hyperbolic statement. And where would some of us be, naming no names of course, around here if we couldn't rely on those every once and a while?

Thanks for your measured response. In hindsight maybe slaughtered was too strong a term although, seen how we did exploit pockets of space in barcas half last night, going back to my original point as you rightfully pointed out, we would have had better technical players in the past that could pick out the perfect pass. We squandered possession cheaply last night. Our final ball was awful.

Thanks for your measured response. In hindsight maybe slaughtered was too strong a term although, seen how we did exploit pockets of space in barcas half last night, going back to my original point as you rightfully pointed out, we would have had better technical players in the past that could pick out the perfect pass. We squandered possession cheaply last night. Our final ball was awful.

Hindsight? That isn't allowed around here.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Arsenal played quite well. They had a very good opening 15 min's. After that Barcelona dominated possession and eventually they found the gaps. The concentration levels required from arsenal and the amount of chasing the ball they had to do was something they don't come across. It's no shame Barcelona would do that to every team in the PL. They took the leagues best player Suarez and he is only their third best attacker that's what your up against.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    We should go to Barca believing we can get goals. Nothing to lose now and an early goal would make Barca very nervous indeed. Go for it. Alternatively, concentrate on maybe winning the league and FA cup? Decisions, decisions.

Ah we can but we need to take chances.

Barca will score but we can make a game of it by getting the first.

Absolutely play strongest 11 and go out in glory.

An epic yet fruitless 3-2 win or something.

Advertisement