Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal v Barcelona

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Arsenal should have did what depor and espanyol did to them and press them very high in the first half, in the second half they started to do it but were knackered and barca hit them on the break. Inept managing by wenger yet again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Martin O'Neill talking a lot of sense on TV3. Graeme Souness is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Another great night to add to the album of great nights that this team has produced. They controlled that game from start to finish in a tough away game in the knockout round of the Champions League. You could randomly pick out any member of that team, highlight them as outstanding. It's 11 outstanding individuals, who collectively are better than they are individually, playing at a club that treasures the collective. They had all the ball, they had big chances and they were a threat on the counter. It was a brilliant 90 minutes that only emphasised the gulf there is between Barcelona and the rest.

I could talk about the incredible mentality of these players to have the season they are having after what they already won last season, I could talk about how brilliant they've done to overcome the fatigue factor given the amount of games and travelling they've had to do and having a relatively small squad. I could talk about lots of things but I won't, I'll just say, mes que un club! Visca el Barça!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Augme

That Oxalde Chamberlain chance in the first half should give Arsenal players/fans a few nightmares.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,948 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

cson wrote: »
    Great to see our Merseyside mates showing up for the roll call on full time.

Hopefully you get to experience Barcelona at home in a knock out tie in the Champions League at some point in the next decade. Or another Champions League match full stop would be a start I guess.

You're overhyping a loss in the champions league. You don't have to be an Arsenal or Barcelona supporter to comment in this thread, you're the one talking about other teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,501 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

AdamD wrote: »
    Good thing Barcelona aren't in the pl then
    Jesus...
    L'prof wrote: »
    Beat City and United this year, neither would fair any better against this Barca team.
    Basil3 wrote: »
    Well if you pick and choose which games you decide are big games, then sure.

No idea how a match where they were beaten by a better team in the champions league has any reflection on the league. After all, spurs and Leicester are up there....
    gandalf wrote: »
    And how would Liverpool have done against Barcelona tonight? Or United? Or Chelsea?

What bollix!

Haha, never mind taking the bait, that broke the rod. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Barca by what I have seen this season were poor tonight but could have won by 4 or 5.

It's a damning indictment again of the premier league that the league title favourites can be outplayed so easily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Fair enough really.

Barcelona will give any team the space to play if they're good enough.
    Arsenal really weren't.

The only Arsenal player in front of the back 4 who didn't look out of his depth was Ozil.
    The PL really is absolute pants when you're comparing it to the absolute peak of European football.
    On aggregate Arsenal have a good team with a lot of technically capable footballers, but precious few who are really masters of their craft, and they're the best England has to offer.

Barca had a much sterner test trying to get at Arsenal's back 4 - Koscielny, the full backs were excellent and Mertesacker did well except when the game was stretched a bit (can't do much about getting outmanoeuvered when you're 6ft 7) but instead of being gifted chances had to create them and they did. Butchered just as many as Arsenal did, but they'll get you in the end.

Awful ref, pulling fouls out of his arse for no reason. Moreso for Barca because they had control of the game, but he screwed over Arsenal a few times over nothing challenges as well.

Going on that, you can still see how vulnerable Barca could be against more effective attacking teams with the likes of Lewandowski, Muller, or what have you up front. If you give those the same amount of space as Arsenal got, they're not going to piss about.

But, equally, if you're looking for them to have an off-night like tonight you won't often get that lucky and even so, they'll probably still score.

Not convincing enough to be putting their name on the trophy. Not enough of a contest for there to be much to look forward to in the next leg.
    Bit of a damp squib on that front, but the game itself was pretty nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Augme wrote: »
    That Oxalde Chamberlain chance in the first have should give Arsenal players/fans a few nightmares.

I assume you mean half instead of have?

Naw we expect that of the Ox these days. He unfortunately has lost his way in recent times and now Walcott is back I reckon he is due some time on the bench to concentrate his mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Goal!! Messi! Messi! Messi! Big game players are rare, Messi is the ultimate big game player. He makes that penalty and he scores it, he's the greatest footballer ever, this might be the best team ever and their march to history continues at pace. For all those doubters, haters and naysayers, this must hurt, but watching Barcelona should not be pain, it is love.

I'm glad I was paying more attention to the other game. Jeeeeesus. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

martyos121 wrote: »
    Haha, never mind taking the bait, that broke the rod. :pac:

Spare the rod, spoil the child :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,501 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Spare the rod, spoil the child :rolleyes:

Incorrect use of that idiom. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,639 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Arsenal had their chances when the game was still there , shocking shot from chamberlin and decisions from arsenal

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

I think Barcalona may go through now.

By about 6 clear goals.

There's a thread somewhere for that game if you're lost. Bit old at this point though.

Couldnt give a shíte about Liverpool or their struggles to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Augme

I assume you mean half instead of have?

Naw we expect that of the Ox these days. He unfortunately has lost his way in recent times and now Walcott is back I reckon he is due some time on the bench to concentrate his mind.

Yea half. Would have been such a game changer and really set up the tie nicely. A shame really.

Couldnt give a shíte about Liverpool or their struggles to be honest.

Strange of you to talk about them in an Arsenal thread so.

Another season without a European Cup for Arsenal it seems. Awful draw tbf

Strange of you to talk about them in an Arsenal thread so.

Responding to the many digs that Arsenal have been getting by Liverpool and their faithful. Pathetic how supporters of the other clubs are queuing up to mock Arsenal for being defeated by the finest club side in the world when their own club cant even qualify for the competition. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

You're overhyping a loss in the champions league. You don't have to be an Arsenal or Barcelona supporter to comment in this thread, you're the one talking about other teams.

Yep, especially when most of the comments are about how good Barca are - if anything it's a compliment to Arsenal.

They're really an excellent football team, that passage of play where we pressed them in their third and they worked it out to ending up with a corner for them was incredible.

Hard to like with the histrionics of Alba and Alves though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Frightening thing is, Barcelona weren't at their most clinical up front tonight. Suarez missed 2 sitters and Cech made 2 world class saves. Could've been an awful lot worse for Arsenal.

eigrod wrote: »
    Frightening thing is, Barcelona weren't at their most clinical up front tonight. Suarez missed 2 sitters and Cech made 2 world class saves. Could've been an awful lot worse for Arsenal.

They were in 2nd gear

I know I said I don't want to single players out but there's Sergio Busquets, the best midfielder on the pitch tonight and he played half that game injured. The man is on a completely different level.

Could have been better too if Alba had seen red and Chamberlain hadn't missed his sitter... :pac:

Anyways, deserved win for Barcelona in the end but a great effort from Arsenal. That level would be enough to beat everyone they've left in the League this season, just have to hope they reach it again when needed.

• Advertisement

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    They were in 2nd gear
    The Camp Nou could be a massacre.

If Barca score first, and score early, it'll be bad, bad news.

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    They were in 2nd gear

Frightening thing as well is they have alex vidal, turan and sergio roberto on the bench, 3 players that would walk on any club side in the world. Sergio roberto was excellent in the absence of messi this season.

I know I said I don't want to single players out but there's Sergio Busquets, the best midfielder on the pitch tonight and he played half that game injured. The man is on a completely different level.

Got man of the match from spanish tv

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Barca grew more into that game as the tie went on. Suarez missed so many chances but the thing that baffles me is Arsenal's approach in that final 20. If the bounces don't go your way and you don't score just accept it, don't over commit. 0-0 they were still very much in the tie. They pushed way too high up the field just begging to be picked off by a counter attack - and the inevitable happened.

Only glimmer of hope is Pique is suspended for the return leg. They've been incredibly shaky defensively when he's not there. Was praying Messi would miss that penalty. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,114 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Another great night to add to the album of great nights that this team has produced. They controlled that game from start to finish in a tough away game in the knockout round of the Champions League. You could randomly pick out any member of that team, highlight them as outstanding. It's 11 outstanding individuals, who collectively are better than they are individually, playing at a club that treasures the collective. They had all the ball, they had big chances and they were a threat on the counter. It was a brilliant 90 minutes that only emphasised the gulf there is between Barcelona and the rest.

I could talk about the incredible mentality of these players to have the season they are having after what they already won last season, I could talk about how brilliant they've done to overcome the fatigue factor given the amount of games and travelling they've had to do and having a relatively small squad. I could talk about lots of things but I won't, I'll just say, mes que un club! Visca el Barça!

I pick Suarez.

Tell me how Suarez was good please?

• Advertisement

Yeah they'll be hard bet this year.

They can take you down if you pop 10 behind or if you decide to have a go.

Slightly reminiscent of the final last year where Juve were having a crack when they countered and that was that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭DarraghF197

KungPao wrote: »

Winning by 4/5 goals is the norm for Barcelona in the Camp Nou. I don't think it would be bad, bad news. They even beat Real Madrid 4-0 in their back yard. It's nothing new, therefore no news.

Turtwig wrote: »
    Barca grew more into that game as the tie went on. Suarez missed so many chances but the thing that baffles me is Arsenal's approach in that final 20. If the bounces don't go your way and you don't score just accept it, don't over commit. 0-0 they were still very much in the tie. They pushed way too high up the field just begging to be picked off by a counter attack - and the inevitable happened.

Only glimmer of hope is Pique is suspended for the return leg. They've been incredibly shaky defensively when he's not there. Was praying Messi would miss that penalty. :(

This is it; probably should have done the reverse of what they did to be honest. Sat back and take 0-0. It'd have made for a more nervous 2nd leg for them anyway. It isn't Wenger's philosophy however.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

He was great, Iniesta for me though.

Quazzie wrote: »
    I pick Suarez.

Tell me how Suarez was good please?

Look at that counter attack for the goal, look at his role in it, how important is that now? How important will that be if Barcelona are going to win every competition they are in again, how important will Suarez be if they are to win everything? Very bloody important. He's the best striker on the planet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,640 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Don't watch barca much, but they look a better side than in the pep Era, certainly more direct and easier on the eye (to me anyway) . Were very comfortable and looked to me like they just sucked arsenal in tonight. Arsenal still lack discipline and it cost them both goals. I said at work today I fancied them to concede a penalty, and they did, and WTF was mertesacher doing chasing neymar way into the other half for the first goal. Lucky to get away 2 down IMHO

Look at that counter attack for the goal, look at his role in it, how important is that now? How important will that be if Barcelona are going to win every competition they are in again, how important will Suarez be if they are to win everything? Very bloody important. He's the best striker on the planet.

Finishing holds him back though. Misses a lot of sitters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

KungPao wrote: »

Would think the same.

If Barcelona had got another 1 or 2 tonight they would have cruised through the 2nd leg and Arsenal might have got a famous 1-0 win. But at 2-0 Arsenal will probably give it more of a go than tonight and leave themselves open to being ripped apart.

Yeah he's only got 41 goals this season.

Not surprised at all. He's Barcelona's grand passmaster, he's the ball winner, he's the third defender, he's the ultimate deep lying playmaker, Busquets is everything.

• Advertisement

Ye but we're saying that in a season where he has scored an eye watering amount of goals and is the Pichichi.

Turtwig wrote: »

There was a period before Barca scored where they actually looked a little ragged. Tackles flying in, misplacing a few passes, losing 50-50s, tempers frayed etc...I reckon Arsenal had to go for it then. A 0-0 was useless anyway with an away leg in Barcelona IMO.

Just a pity they couldn't make a chance or two stick, but when Giroud and Welbeck are your strikers, you can't expect too much.

Yeah he's only got 41 goals this season.

He scores a lot, he also misses a lot.

I'd love to see a conversion % stat but I couldn't be holed wasting my time trying to find one.

The thing with him is; as good as he is now - what would he be like if he was as clinical and composed as say Messi?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Its actually enjoyable reading through these forums when you block out the idiots.

He was still pretty poor tonight and you shouldn't ignore that.

CSF wrote: »
    He was still pretty poor tonight and you shouldn't ignore that.

But still key. He can be poor all he likes of he delivers key moments like he did tonight.

But still key. He can be poor all he likes of he delivers key moments like he did tonight.

I'd agree with that; but for him the first goal doesn't happen.

It's holding him back alright.

To be fair, he had endless opportunities to create those key moments. None of Messi, Suarez, Neymar performed to their capabilities tonight, but with Arsenal conceding that much possession in midfield to players with the passing ability of Iniesta and Busquets, the chance to get that goal was going to come, and then Arsenal simply gifted the 2nd penalty to Barca. Idiotic defending.

• Advertisement

He scores a lot, he also misses a lot.

I'd love to see a conversion % stat but I couldn't be holed wasting my time trying to find one.

The thing with him is; as good as he is now - what would he be like if he was as clinical and composed as say Messi?

For his last season at Liverpool, it was low. From memory worse than Giroud. He just shoots an awful lot, which is what you want a striker to do.

Advertisement