Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which racers?

Options
  • 23-02-2016 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,228 ✭✭✭

On the advice of a training partner I should be wearing what he calls racers or racing shoes for 5 & 10k races.
    I wear asics gel cumulus all the time. Long runs, speedwork, tempo they are all I wear. He tells me that they are too heavy.
    Has anybody any recommendations on a pair or any opinions? I am currently a 36 minute 10k runner with a neutral running style, medium arch and doing about 50 miles a week.
    I don't want to break the bank and due to a lack of decent sports shops near me I would prefer to shop online.
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭caseyjones1

I am totally in love with New Balance 1600V2, bought from and on the recommendation of Kevin in the Run Hub. On my second pair of them now, they are really really light and make me feel like I'm in race mode when I wear them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

I am totally in love with New Balance 1600V2, bought from and on the recommendation of Kevin in the Run Hub. On my second pair of them now, they are really really light and make me feel like I'm in race mode when I wear them.

They have a pretty decent grip I think?

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭caseyjones1

demfad wrote: »
    They have a pretty decent grip I think?
    Yeah they do. Got them originally to wear for 3k indoors, as an alternative to spikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

You'll get as many answers as there are 'racers', go try some pairs and experiment. They're typically cheaper than standard high mileage shoes, but also won't last as long.
    My favs at the moment are the Saucony Endorphin for up to 10k, but they're light and minimal and offer little or no protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Sacksian

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    You'll get as many answers as there are 'racers', go try some pairs and experiment. They're typically cheaper than standard high mileage shoes, but also won't last as long.
    My favs at the moment are the Saucony Endorphin for up to 10k, but they're light and minimal and offer little or no protection.

What's the sizing on these like?

I'm looking for a long-term replacement for my Asics Piranhas but a lot of the shoes I identified seem to be discontinued or unavailable from a bricks and mortar store - the Endorphins look like they'd fit the bill, so just wondering about size if I order them online.

• Advertisement

Sacksian wrote: »
    What's the sizing on these like?

I'm looking for a long-term replacement for my Asics Piranhas but a lot of the shoes I identified seem to be discontinued or unavailable from a bricks and mortar store - the Endorphins look like they'd fit the bill, so just wondering about size if I order them online.

So I'm normally a 10 in Saucony, but picked these up in 9.5. Mainly because I'll wear very thin or no socks and use for short races. No issues and have used for a mile on the track and a 3k and 5k road race, snug, but not cramped.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

How do they compare to the Saucony Type A6?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Much lighter, much less cushioning, not as durable. A fine shoe but they are really, really minimal. I wear the A6 and there is no way I could get away with the endorphin, you would need to be very light, and be fairly resilient.

I have the A6s but I really don't like them. They don't feel like racers - the Piranha were listed as 120g (I've seen the A6s listed as 147g) but there was a world of difference between them. The Piranhas felt closer to 100g. They really felt like shoes you only put on when you're actually racing! Just looking to find an adequate replacement.

As the others say not a like for like comparison really.
    I would chance running a marathon in the A6, I'm not sure the Endorphin would last that long :pac:.

The Endorphin are paper thin, I'm always careful putting them on, it feels like if I pull the tongue too hard it might just rip off.
    They are zero drop, but actually do have some cushioning, they are aerated and have a section cut out of the sole to keep the weight down.

Gary, I would reckon you would have no issue wearing them to 5-10k and I think they will make a great track alternative for 3k+.

Happy to throw them in my training bag as I'll be in Shanganagh a few times next week after work.

Currently on 40-50% off from the usual UK stores

Here's a decent review from fellnr, he's gives them a highly recommended.
    The Endorphin is an ultralight shoe that provides a surprising level of cushioning for its weight. Obviously there's not as much cushioning as many heavier shoes, but you might be surprised by how well it does for itself. Of course, a shoe this light may not provide enough cushioning for everyone, but I'd recommend trying it out if you're a reasonably efficient runner looking for an edge.

381824.JPG

• Advertisement

...and there was I naively thinking that the A6 was about as racer-like as you could get! Might pick up a pair for track-training and racing. I'm still the wrong side of 11 stone, so don't think I'd get away with them on the roads, but the A6 seem good from that perspective. Thanks!

...and there was I naively thinking that the A6 was about as racer-like as you could get! Might pick up a pair for track-training and racing. I'm still the wrong side of 11 stone, so don't think I'd get away with them on the roads, but the A6 seem good from that perspective. Thanks!

I wore them for the local 5k on St. Stephen's Day - I was definitely the wrong side of 11st that day :D

I was going to get the endorphins because I thought that the flats I really wanted - NB RC5000 - were completely unobtainable. Some creative googling later and I found a shop which still had a pair.

I picked them up from the parcel motel at lunchtime and took them out for an easy 30 minutes. On the basis of that run and a few strides, I can quite confidently say that I think they are my favourite runner ever. You can feel the impending injuries just looking at them!

Frustratingly, they arrived too late for the 5k last Sunday, but just in time for the relays (which I'll hopefully make)!

New-Balance-RC5000v1-2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭TheBigGreen

Anybody on here have these?

Anybody on here have these?

Of course :)

Wore them for the marathon as I wanted something that balanced weight with protection as you fatigue in the latter stages.
    I'm really liking the revised 'racing' line up in the Boost series, I have the Takumi Sen, Takumi Ren, Adios Boost 2 and 3 and the Boston 5.
    The Adios Boost 3 is really nice shoe, I would call it mid-weight for me, about 240gms for 10.5, but has a lighter more responsive feel than that.
    I only had 20+ miles on them before the marathon, so there's no breaking in involved in these, just lace them up and run.

Of course :)

Wore them for the marathon as I wanted something that balanced weight with protection as you fatigue in the latter stages.
    I'm really liking the revised 'racing' line up in the Boost series, I have the Takumi Sen, Takumi Ren, Adios Boost 2 and 3 and the Boston 5.
    The Adios Boost 3 is really nice shoe, I would call it mid-weight for me, about 240gms for 10.5, but has a lighter more responsive feel than that.
    I only had 20+ miles on them before the marathon, so there's no breaking in involved in these, just lace them up and run.

Adios Boost sounds the business. How is the traction on them?

Adios Boost sounds the business. How is the traction on them?

Haven't the 3's on anything greasy yet, but others are great, they have the Continental rubber along 60% of the sole from the toe and slightly raised with the boost exposed underneath, so I would expect very good traction.

Thanks a million. One more thing while I have you.
    The rubber covers 60% of the sole. The boost is soft I guess. Would you feel a few stones under the sole if running offroad?
    Sorry for the strange question. I have a particular race in mind with road, hill, and a stoney section that can hurt the sole on some runners (e.g Nike zoom LT). A racer with traction, that would protect the sole a bit but as light as possible are the necessary attributes.

Thanks a million. One more thing while I have you.
    The rubber covers 60% of the sole. The boost is soft I guess. Would you feel a few stones under the sole if running offroad?
    Sorry for the strange question. I have a particular race in mind with road, hill, and a stoney section that can hurt the sole on some runners (e.g Nike zoom LT). A racer with traction, that would protect the sole a bit but as light as possible are the necessary attributes.

Very unlikely I would guess, I'm thinking there's about 10mm of boost at the front, so you would want to be unlucky with a particularly sharp stone.

I'm 60% likely to be in Tallaght on Sunday (visa and scheduling pending) I can throw them in the boot if you want to take a look.

I have the New Balance MT10 - not sure what the latest version is (or if there is one?) - I wear them on trails and they're light. They'd definitely fit two of your criteria but I'm not sure how just how much protection they'd provide on a very rocky route.

• Advertisement

Very unlikely I would guess, I'm thinking there's about 10mm of boost at the front, so you would want to be unlucky with a particularly sharp stone.

I'm 60% likely to be in Tallaght on Sunday (visa and scheduling pending) I can throw them in the boot if you want to take a look.

I wont be at the race on Sunday but what you say sounds good enough for me. Ill get a pair of 2's or 3's. Need a pair of trainers anyway. If they are suitable for the race Ill get a second. Thanks again!

I wont be at the race on Sunday but what you say sounds good enough for me. Ill get a pair of 2's or 3's. Need a pair of trainers anyway. If they are suitable for the race Ill get a second. Thanks again!

I would recommend the 3's over the 2's, they just seemed to have evolved into a nicer shoe and about 10gms lighter. If you're not an Adi wearer go up half a size, especially if you are using them on trail with downhills.
    All my Puma, Saucony and Brooks are size 10, I'm 10.5 in these.

Thanks for the reply BeepBeep67, just ordered a pair now. Really looking forward to running in them now.

Thanks for the reply BeepBeep67, just ordered a pair now. Really looking forward to running in them now.

Have you had them out for a spin?

Have you had them out for a spin?

100 kilometers done on them so far.

Nice and light and it almost feels like you're running bare foot.

I'm usually a UK9 but ordered a UK9.5 and it's a tight fit but I like my runners like that. UK10 would probably be better.

Love the styling and solar red colour.

3D3C1685-58F9-478A-9A5C-39228D1CE487_zps7m43tugc.jpg

A3800D4D-821A-4C6F-8D53-25E1B2849527_zps1khxleww.jpg

As the others say not a like for like comparison really.
    I would chance running a marathon in the A6, I'm not sure the Endorphin would last that long :pac:.

The Endorphin are paper thin, I'm always careful putting them on, it feels like if I pull the tongue too hard it might just rip off.
    They are zero drop, but actually do have some cushioning, they are aerated and have a section cut out of the sole to keep the weight down.

Gary, I would reckon you would have no issue wearing them to 5-10k and I think they will make a great track alternative for 3k+.
    Well, I've had the Saucony Endorphins out for two separate outings:
    1) A track session on the cinder track in Kilbogget - maybe around 5-6k, at 5k ->1,500m pace.
    2) 5k road race in Enfield.

They are incredibly light and yes, they seem incredibly delicate. There does seem to be a very real risk that you'll tear them while putting them on. However, wearing them - you still get some sense that there is cushioning between your feet and the ground. But... They come at a cost. I've noticed distinctly more pain/niggle potential after the two outings, particularly in calf muscles and shins. So they seem like a great racing shoe, but I'll be keeping mine for mondo-based track sessions or races, and I'll stick with the A6s for the cinder and the 5k+ road races. Probably just as well, as they seem unlikely to last 150 miles.

100 kilometers done on them so far.

Nice and light and it almost feels like you're running bare foot.

I'm usually a UK9 but ordered a UK9.5 and it's a tight fit but I like my runners like that. UK10 would probably be better.

Love the styling and solar red colour.

For the love of God has your mother never told you that's bad luck to put new shoes on a table, go out and say 3 hail Mary's and 1 our Father :)

Happy running

Well, I've had the Saucony Endorphins out for two separate outings:
    1) A track session on the cinder track in Kilbogget - maybe around 5-6k, at 5k ->1,500m pace.
    2) 5k road race in Enfield.

They are incredibly light and yes, they seem incredibly delicate. There does seem to be a very real risk that you'll tear them while putting them on. However, wearing them - you still get some sense that there is cushioning between your feet and the ground. But... They come at a cost. I've noticed distinctly more pain/niggle potential after the two outings, particularly in calf muscles and shins. So they seem like a great racing shoe, but I'll be keeping mine for mondo-based track sessions or races, and I'll stick with the A6s for the cinder and the 5k+ road races. Probably just as well, as they seem unlikely to last 150 miles.

I've actually read that even though they are classed as zero offset that they are actually a negative offset, - 1/2mm, so be careful with those calves.

I would recommend the 3's over the 2's, they just seemed to have evolved into a nicer shoe and about 10gms lighter. If you're not an Adi wearer go up half a size, especially if you are using them on trail with downhills.
    All my Puma, Saucony and Brooks are size 10, I'm 10.5 in these.

Thanks BeepBeep. Arrived in the post yesterday. Got the 8.5 size. (.5 bigger).
    Perfect. Had a test run last night. Roomy around the toebox, so you can get all your toes on the bed which i like. Great looking runner aswell! (orange)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

For the love of God has your mother never told you that's bad luck to put new shoes on a table

That's not a table! :)

Advertisement