Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cleaning brushes

Options
  • 23-02-2016 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭

How do you clean yours? Please and thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Warm soapy water, rinse under the tap and leave on a towel to dry

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

For a quick clean No7 brush cleaner

For a deeper clean antibac washing up liquid and olive oil mix and rinse under warm water. Dry with tip of brush sloping down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

A Dr. Bronner liquid soap (the peppermint one), and hot water :)

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Gillouise

A massage glove I got in dealz for €1.50 and some baby shampoo& warm water, they turn out spotless and it's so quick

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Gillouise wrote: »
    A massage glove I got in dealz for €1.50 and some baby shampoo& warm water, they turn out spotless and it's so quick
    I got a similar glove in Penneys last year, a silicone kitchen glove. Use that with baby shampoo and warm water. Little squirt of baby shampoo on the glove, swirl the brush over the groves of the glove and rinse with water. Foundation and concealer brushes require a little bit more work. But overall quick job that I don't mind doing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭PinkLemonade

Oil cleanser for foundation brushes followed by baby shampoo, and just baby shampoo for all other brushes.
    I use mac brush cleanser too on a cotton wool pad to clean eyeshadow brushes for a quick clean

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ShazGV

Ilyana 2.0 wrote: »
    A Dr. Bronner liquid soap (the peppermint one), and hot water :)

Ditto! Been on the lookout for it for ages, found a bottle last month and am absolutely delighted with it. I used to use Cinema Secrets Brush Cleaner which is excellent but expensive, the Dr Bronner soap is easily my number one now.

Also have the Real Techniques brush cleaner, it's like a gel cleanser and it's very good for synthetic hair brushes.

ShazGV wrote: »
    Ditto! Been on the lookout for it for ages, found a bottle last month and am absolutely delighted with it. I used to use Cinema Secrets Brush Cleaner which is excellent but expensive, the Dr Bronner soap is easily my number one now.

Also have the Real Techniques brush cleaner, it's like a gel cleanser and it's very good for synthetic hair brushes.

It's great isn't it? My brushes feel so soft and fresh when I use it. A lot of health shops tend to stock it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Ilyana 2.0 wrote:
    A Dr. Bronner liquid soap (the peppermint one), and hot water

I also use Dr bronner to clean make up brushes. I find its the only thing that shifts all the makeup and give them a real deep clean. I always pick it up in Tk maxx.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

Micellar water. Quick swish around. Job done.

• Advertisement

panda100 wrote: »
    I also use Dr bronner to clean make up brushes. I find its the only thing that shifts all the makeup and give them a real deep clean. I always pick it up in Tk maxx.

I actually went to pick some up today in a health shop that normally stocks it, but they had none. The SA said that the brand are pulling distribution; whether it was just to that specific shop or to all retailers I'm not sure. Hopefully it's the former!

Instead, I picked up a very similar liquid castile soap from a brand called Yousaf Handmade Soaps, based in Kildare I think. Hopefully it's as good as Dr. Bronner.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I picked up lavender Dr. Bonner in Tk maxx today. They had a few bottles of different scents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

I use the Penneys brush cleaner for a spot cleanse and use Simple shampoo and hot water for a deep cleanse. I also have a Soap and Glory little silicon face scrubber thing that I use too.

I really like the Penneys one. I think it's as good as the MAC brush cleanser, which I used to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 KatieBelle92

I used to use baby shampoo to clean my brushes but I've started using the bar of Moogoo soap. The brushes come up so clean and it's really quick. It works great on sponges too. I just swirl the brush on the bar of soap under a hot tap. I couldn't believe how soft and clean they were afterwards.

The Dr Bronner stuff worked a treat, apart from the mad religious/spiritual crap on the label! I'll peel the label off and keep using the soap.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭LinF

I just stand each brush in a jar and pour boiling water and leave it for 10 minutes, replace the dirty water with fresh boiling water and continue until water is clear. Boiling water is the best method of steralization. I always clean brushes individually, never all together. Time consuming but well worthwhile. I wash brushes every couple of times used.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 jheneaiko

LinF wrote: »
    I just stand each brush in a jar and pour boiling water and leave it for 10 minutes, replace the dirty water with fresh boiling water and continue until water is clear. Boiling water is the best method of steralization. I always clean brushes individually, never all together. Time consuming but well worthwhile. I wash brushes every couple of times used.

Boiling water might damage your brushes

I use baby shampoo and warm water, works fine :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

Picked up dr bronner today on foot of this thread I hope it's good now :P

Picked up dr bronner today on foot of this thread I hope it's good now :P

Here's my method:
    Initial rinse of the brushes, then squirted a tiny amount of the soap into a container with tap hot water, let brushes soak for about ten minutes, rinsed and repeated.
    Shook brushes dry, patted dry on a towel and left to dry overnight. I then redid a couple that were still a bit dirty. Mine hadn't been washed in ages though, they were really awful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Was thinking of picking up a Dr Bonners liquid soap in TK Maxx.

Was going to get this one, its a 473ml bottle for €9 I think.

https://www.drbronner.com/DBMS/category/BABYMILD.html

Its the baby one, is it as good as the others? I don't want a scented one so would prefer that one but only if its good?

jheneaiko wrote: »

I use baby shampoo and warm water, works fine :)

How does boiling water damage brushes?

How does boiling water damage brushes?

Hot water can loosen the glue and damage the bristles.

Thanks so much for your explanation. I've had my brushes for 3 years, most of them are from Japan or Korea and they are still in very good condition. Professional quality brushes can withstand boiling water as a sterilizer so I think I'll stick to this method.

Was thinking of picking up a Dr Bonners liquid soap in TK Maxx.

Was going to get this one, its a 473ml bottle for €9 I think.

https://www.drbronner.com/DBMS/category/BABYMILD.html

Its the baby one, is it as good as the others? I don't want a scented one so would prefer that one but only if its good?

I read the ingredients on several different bottles and there's no real difference. Maybe use a bit more if you think it needs it.

Advertisement