Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Friend is homeless, what happens to him now?

Options
  • 23-02-2016 1:43pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 409 ✭✭

I have a friend who's recently been made homeless in the west through bad flat mates, drinking problem to running behind in rent in last place he had. After 12 weeks in treatment center, he's now homeless! First few weeks of being homeless he was either staying on peoples couches or living it rough outside in dublin but now he's back in his own county.

Now he's here, he's looking to get his life back on track but first, he needs to know what are the steps to take to get into some sort of accommodation.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Present to the housing section of the local authority.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 409 ✭✭shugy

Sleepy wrote: »
    Present to the housing section of the local authority.

Can they house him on the day or will it be a case of telling him to come back in a day,week or other

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

shugy wrote: »
    Can they house him on the day or will it be a case of telling him to come back in a day,week or other

No, he'll probably be waiting a long, long time, unfortunately. But by being on the housing list, he may qualify for Rent Allowance if he rents in the private sector. That will have its own set of conditions.

www.citizensinformation.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

It's unlikely but they may be able to offer emergency accommodation and he'll at least be on the waiting list for social housing / able to apply for Rent Allowance etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,907 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Most councils can provide emergency accommodation but it's down to getting the right people. Contacting a local councillor can help

It'll likely be a poor b&b but compared to the streets that's quite an improvement

• Advertisement

L1011 wrote: »
    Most councils can provide emergency accommodation but it's down to getting the right people. Contacting a local councillor can help

It'll likely be a poor b&b but compared to the streets that's quite an improvement

B&B it is for a week untill they can sort him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭haveringchick

B&B it is for a week untill they can sort him.

No. The B&B will be until he can find a place for himself within his rent limits that takes rent supplement or HAP
    He has to get on the housing list first

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Can he stay with you for a while OP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Where are his family?

Ps, i wouldn't call those people bad flat mates. It's not nice to put up with an alcoholic who doesn't pay rent.

Addle wrote: »
    Can he stay with you for a while OP?

He was but he's a it of a loose cannon and only so much ha can put up with with him. He's sorted now so that don't matter now.

• Advertisement

pwurple wrote: »
    Where are his family?

Ps, i wouldn't call those people bad flat mates. It's not nice to put up with an alcoholic who doesn't pay rent.

His family have done everything for him and can't do no more. He has a drink,drug and gambling problem like I've never seen before and it's got to a point, he's on his own. Sad but it's just the way it is.

His family have done everything for him and can't do no more. He has a drink,drug and gambling problem like I've never seen before and it's got to a point, he's on his own. Sad but it's just the way it is.

It happens.

Same with every homeless person in my extended circle. They have made it impossible for anyone to help them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭haveringchick

It happens.

Same with every homeless person in my extended circle. They have made it impossible for anyone to help them.

Family and friends have absolutely no choice but to walk away. When someone gets in the grip of an addiction to that extent they become unreachable

If you give this man 1million quid, he'd be skint in a year. He's a good heart thou, just a pity he has his problems

OP, well done on your efforts. I hope your mate sorts his life out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Unfortunately, the 'Refugees' will get a house well before he does I would think.
    :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 311 ✭✭Silverbling

It happens.

Not all homeless people are like that, some of us are self employed and studying for a degree at night but live in South Dublin where landlords or the government do not give a flying rats bits that the rents are out of reach on 1 wage

• Registered Users Posts: 33,637 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The thing about people like this guy is that we will have ones in the radio moaning about the Government making him homeless.

Some people need to look into personal responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,077 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

If he's still on the drink /drugs he's not going to get a council flat, single men don't..... His only option is a 'wet hostel'.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

kleefarr wrote: »
    Unfortunately, the 'Refugees' will get a house well before he does I would think.
    :(

Why should he get a house, he's a pisshead who shouldn't be just handed a house. How about we start giving out houses to young working couples who will never be able to afford one.

• Advertisement

Not all homeless people are like that, some of us are self employed and studying for a degree at night but live in South Dublin where landlords or the government do not give a flying rats bits that the rents are out of reach on 1 wage

Most people have to houseshare until they can afford a place of their own. It's not really up to the government or LLs to enable people to live alone if they can't afford it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,505 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

NIMAN wrote: »
    The thing about people like this guy is that we will have ones in the radio moaning about the Government making him homeless.

Some people need to look into personal responsibility.

try deal with mental health problems and you ll start to see the issues that arise!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,077 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

There's no way he'll get a flat and if he does he won't hold onto it, drug /drink money will be his priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Edgarfrndly

He'll need to present himself as homeless in the local housing office. They'll usually make an offer to provide him with emergency accommodation. If he informs them that he's living rough, they'll usually make things happen quickly. Once he's on there, he'll be able to apply for the housing list and only then can he apply for rent allowance.

The process for homeless people in Ireland is pretty shambolic.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Why should he get a house, he's a pisshead who shouldn't be just handed a house. How about we start giving out houses to young working couples who will never be able to afford one.

We do: it's called council housing. Given to people (couples or single) on low wages, and to people with health problems (including mental health / addictions). Unfortunately there's a waiting list for it in most areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

Hi OP, If he is not clean and sober that needs to be his priority, as he doesn't sound like he has the life skills to live and cope independently yet. 12 weks is not enough for some people.
    I would suggest he try get into Coolmine Treatment Centre, the programme is longer than most, butIt makes sure it's graduates leave with a job and a place to live.

zef wrote: »
    I would suggest he try get into Coolmine Treatment Centre, the programme is longer than most, butIt makes sure it's graduates leave with a job and a place to live

Is this private or can one with a medical card on disability sign themselves in?

<snip>

His is the classic homeless man scenario, where in a lot of places you find them entitled to anything at all, but here there are some meager supports.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

Is this private or can one with a medical card on disability sign themselves in?

It's free to anyone with an addiction. Their office is in Lord Edward St,. in Dublin City Centre.

• Advertisement
Advertisement