Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

adult 46yo train as electrician

Options
  • 23-02-2016 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

Hi all
    Just wondering is it possible to train at my age as an electrician?? if so is it possible to train as an electrician without an employer as nobody would want to take me on at my age, is there any adult apprenticeship course? just wondering does anyone have any info on this, cant find any info anywhere really without suggesting you must have employer first,

Thanks in advance for any info,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Mr Bump

Bump

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Electricians are trained through the Standards based apprenticeship so to fully qualify thats the main route. Most ETB's have a training officer who is responsible for apprenticeships in their area and you can contact them for more info.

I've also seen general courses advertised for things like alarm installation where you can train to do that specific task, you're not a electrician at the end of it but you would have some of the skills. E.g. :http://www.hitechtraining.ie/alarm-installation/

Another option migh be to look at electrical engineering but really this is a different field to electrician, it would share some of the skills and knowledge though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Foggy.nelson

Unless someone you know locally takes you on, it's a lot of travelling with an electrical company, one of the main reasons I left was for more stability, you could be in Waterford one week and Galway the next with little notification. Not impossible bit you'd wanna show in the interview or whatever that this wouldn't be a problem with family or whatever

Advertisement