Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Neightbour complaints about our dog

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭1eg0a3xv7b82of

CruelCoin wrote: »
    Hi all,

Some background info:

We adopted a approx 18 month old German Shepherd bitch from the pound.
    She is usually kept in the house, walked regularly (with muzzle), has a dog house outside for when we have to leave her at home. Any time we are away for more than 24 hours she goes to a local kennels. The garden is secure, with a high wall, and she has no chance to escape the property.

I work but my partner does not, and is usually at home with the dog. Last week, she was away for Saturday at a funeral and we had to put the dog outside while i was at work. She was on a chain, within easy reach of her dog house with plenty of food (kept inside her house to keep it dry), and water.

Now the issues: She barked all the time while outside, from the moment i left to the moment i came back. She snarls through the fence at a neighbours dog quite aggressively (she hates all other dogs).
    I came home from work on Saturday and a guard came to the door and told me there had been several complaints about our dog barking. No case number was given to me, no paperwork, he didn't identify himself nor did he say who had made the complaint. I was shocked by this, as i was under the impression that the person making the complaint should have approached us first. Going straight to the guards seems like the nuclear option.

On top of that, today my partner has just told me that she had received the ISPCA at the door over a complaint about the conditions the dog was kept in. Apparently the dog was being kept outside with no shelter in the rain despite the fact that the dog house is there for all to see. We showed the inspector the house/garden/doghouse/etc and the inspector seemed happy enough and left, but gave no indication that this was the end of the matter.

I'm feeling quite hard done by, seeing as how i took this pup in from the pound and have done everything to care for it. We've done the responsible thing and had her spayed, chipped, vaccinated, wormed/de-flea'd, walked regularly, fed up so she's not the skin and bones as she was when we first took her in. etc. We have a massive box full of toys and treats which we are using to try get some of the bad habits out of her from her time as a stray.
    And now, off the back of a single days barking i've has the guards and the ISPCA set upon me! I've never been in the least bit of trouble in my life, and have helped with community tidy-ups etc. The idea that i'm being painted as some kind of animal abuser sickens me.

We're now terrified that this is the start of a big chain of events that will be forced on us, and my partner is so frightened that she's even started to search for alternative homes for the dog (despite my protests) for fear that she'll be forcibly taken from us/put down.

Sorry for the wall of text, but any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

CC.

Hey dont be too hard on yourself.
    My guess is one of your neighbours knows that Guard and that Guard got the ISPCA out to you.
    I once rang the ISPCA about some dogs that were dumped on the side of a main road near me out of a Van and they never showed up, too busy. I kid you not.

Next time someone complains tell them your not Dr Doolittle.
    Dogs bark, it what they do. Their dogs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Knine

Hey dont be too hard on yourself.
    My guess is one of your neighbours knows that Guard and that Guard got the ISPCA out to you.
    I once rang the ISPCA about some dogs that were dumped on the side of a main road near me out of a Van and they never showed up, too busy. I kid you not.

Next time someone complains tell them your not Dr Doolittle.
    Dogs bark, it what they do. Their dogs.

Yeah dogs bark but decent people have consideration for their neighbours

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

OP it sounds like there's lots going on here.
    What kind of kids would jump a fence knowing there's a GS on the the other side!
    If you've tried most of the barking remedies then you knew you already had a problem. Why does it surprise you that the neighbours complained.
    Take it from me, the guards, the dog warden or the ISPCA will take no action against you and your barking dog, it's beyond their remit. Your neighbours will have to take you to the district court directly if needs be. I had a similar problem before with my neighbours, I've researched it. ( All this assuming no cruelty involved of course ).
    Your young dog is full of energy. IMO she needs an hours walk in the morning and another hour in the evening at least. Add to that some playtime like a half hour of fetch in the park to wear her out. My 10 year old lab/setter still gets more than that but when she's not exercising, she's sleeping. There's a saying, 'a tired dog is a quiet dog'.
    Reading through the thread it sounds to me like you don't really have the required amount of time to give the dog. External remedies to try and keep her quiet aren't really going to cut the mustard.
    Whatever about being honest with us, you need to be honest with yourself. If you don't think you can give her the time, do the right thing and find a new home for her. I admire the fact that you rescued her but sometimes these things are just not meant to be. Sometimes people don't realise the level of commitment needed in having a dog. There's no shame involved in giving her up.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Jadaol

she/he is young and hyper and needs exercise. If you don't have the time, then get a dog walker to take her out

no chains, build the dog run as soon as - once she gets settled into it, she is more likely to calm down in her own space
    right now, all she wants is to be inside

over time she'll calm down but exercise her as much as possible
    those throw tennis ball things can be great if she likes to play catch

dogs need routine and watch a few episodes of cesar milan :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭colossus-x

Hmmp. I had a friend who had a dog specifically because it would bark at passers by. A security dog I suppose. In the country especially on farm land it's expected one has a dog that barks at anything that goes by; in the country that would be an object that goes by every 15 mints or so. They have a dog as if to protect their premises when they live in a rural area and there isn't a chance in hell any criminal is going to come to their house and raid it. But they just like the idea that their house is some kind of 'palace' that needs protecting. What they really are looking for, in their boring country lives, is they what to know who is passing by their house because they are nosey country bastards.

Knine wrote: »
    Yeah dogs bark but decent people have consideration for their neighbours

And decent neighbours do not ring the gardai and the ISPCA if a dog barks for a few hours on a saturday.
    If you live in built up areas you really should live by these words - Live and let Live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

And decent neighbours do not ring the gardai and the ISPCA if a dog barks for a few hours on a saturday.

I bet it isn't just a few hours on a Saturday, I get the strong impression that the OP has been downplaying how long the neighbours have been putting up with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Welshprince

A search of Citizens advice reveals that there is a fine of 1250 euro for preventing your dog from barking. And quite right, owners should take responsibility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

OP so there a couple if issues here…

The dog being chained etc.- if im 100% honest id also report this, as if the dog is in a secure garden / pen this isn’t necessary.

Exercise – my 11 year old cocker does around 7k each evening takes around an hour so I would imagine your dog needs at least this and more. Plus playing ball – mental stimulation… all dogs need this.

Outside kennel – how do you know your dog uses it? On the odd occasion years ago when my dog was left outside for a few hours he NEVER used his, used to be soaking when I got home, even though his kennel was the correct size etc.
    On that note if the kennel isn’t correct for the breed i.e. too big / to small the dog won’t use it.

If your dog is inside 100% of the time when you’re at home as you say, why put her out at all? My guy is in the house all day when we are at work – for a number of reasons really … I don’t want him stolen from my garden, had probably bark all day if left outside and I don’t want to upset the neighbours… he loves sleeping beside the radiator etc.…. so it’s a win win all round.

Boredom is a main reason for excessive barking etc –sound like the dog is bored etc

• Advertisement

I bet it isn't just a few hours on a Saturday, I get the strong impression that the OP has been downplaying how long the neighbours have been putting up with this.

I am responding on the basis that the OP is telling the truth, as should everyone here. He wants advice on what he says has happened, why are some posters giving him guff for a fairy tale version that they have manufactured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Jadaol wrote: »

Never do this, ever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

hardCopy wrote: »
    Never do this, ever

100% agree on the dogs needs routine.... but 100% disagree with ceaser milan,.. horrible person..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

cocker5 wrote: »
    100% agree on the dogs needs routine.... but 100% disagree with ceaser milan,.. horrible person..

Sorry if I wasn't clear. It's the Cesar bit I meant to stay away from. Routine is great for the dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

OP you are angry with your neighbours. But if they see a large barking dog chained in the garden - it is not really conducive to popping in for a chat. How are they meant to know when the dog is out/not out etc.

Well done for adopting a dog. Now you did to work on it. There is no reason to leave her outside during the day if she is inside all night. A long walk in the morning and again in the evening with training will help her relax, settle and bond.

You need to stop focussing on your neighbours and accept that you are the only person responsible for this situation and it is your job to rectify it.
    Until you get a run sorted you can not leave her outside. It will result in more complaints.

When you do get the run sorted, then you are going to need to training her to use it.

The obvisous and immediate solution is to leave her inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Letree

If you live in built up areas you really should live by these words - Live and let Live.

I'll bet you have a dog and this is what you tell yourself to justify your dog barking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

In fairness to Cesar he has a couple of good points: plenty of exercise, set boundaries and be consistent, and remain calm and assured. Pretty much everything else is tosh though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

colossus-x wrote: »
    Hmmp. I had a friend who had a dog specifically because it would bark at passers by. A security dog I suppose. In the country especially on farm land it's expected one has a dog that barks at anything that goes by; in the country that would be an object that goes by every 15 mints or so. They have a dog as if to protect their premises when they live in a rural area and there isn't a chance in hell any criminal is going to come to their house and raid it. But they just like the idea that their house is some kind of 'palace' that needs protecting. What they really are looking for, in their boring country lives, is they what to know who is passing by their house because they are nosey country bastards.

What a ridiculous generalisation.

My neighbours (farmers) have been broken into 3 times in the past few years and also had their sheep rustled. Do you really think they have 3 dogs because they're "nosey country bastards"?? They have 3 dogs because they are probably scared stiff going to bed at night for fear of getting burgled again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

I am responding on the basis that the OP is telling the truth, as should everyone here. He wants advice on what he says has happened, why are some posters giving him guff for a fairy tale version that they have manufactured.

The Op has said at least twice that anytime the dog is left outside she starts barking. He was aware of the problem long before the neighbours called anyone, and the neighbors were listening to it long before they complained.

The Op has said at least twice that anytime the dog is left outside she starts barking. He was aware of the problem long before the neighbours called anyone, and the neighbors were listening to it long before they complained.

That's not the problem though. The OP is aware of the issues with the barking, it's the fact that whoever reported him or called the garda did so without ever approaching them, which as every thread on this topic has ever advised - is always the first port of call.

Now posters are saying that the dog is underexercised despite the OP stating from the outset that the dog is walked regularly. I know loads of dogs that are very well exercised yet will still bark with anxiety when left alone. I know one GSD that will bark at anything in his garden, usually leaves or even birds flying overhead. One of my own dogs is extremely fond of barking very persistently at birds and I'm very aware of it so they're never left out alone. We're on a country road so luckily we don't have very close neighbours and the ones we do have are great. If anybody assumed my dog was underexercised I would literally be bent over laughing!

That's not the problem though. The OP is aware of the issues with the barking, it's the fact that whoever reported him or called the garda did so without ever approaching them, which as every thread on this topic has ever advised - is always the first port of call.

Now posters are saying that the dog is underexercised despite the OP stating from the outset that the dog is walked regularly. I know loads of dogs that are very well exercised yet will still bark with anxiety when left alone.

I was replying to a poster who had quoted another poster. Poster 1 had said he/she suspects the neighbors have been putting up with this for longer than Op is admitting to. Poster 2 (who I replied to) incorrectly said that we should only reply to what the Op said.
    I was letting poster 2 know that the Op was aware of a barking problem so clearly it wasn't a one off.

I agree with you the neighbors should have approached the Op first but that hasn't happened. The important thing now is to ensure no further action is taken.
    The Op is insisting the dog be left outside on a chain even though they are aware the dog will bark.
    The barking isn't going to magically stop and as the neighbors have made it clear they are sick of it so at this point something has to change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Here are facts we do know from what was written in this thread.

- The OP knows the dog barks all the time when outside
    - The OP puts the dog outside anyway

I'm not about to judge the neighbours too harshly here, they are the ones being subjected to the noise when it happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭muddypaws

colossus-x wrote: »

I'm assuming you never listen to, watch or read the news, and have completely missed the rise in rural crime?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

And how many times have posters replied to say they can't go talk to the person because they are unapproachable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,858 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

If you have the dog inside when your at home, it will bark when outside as it thinks it can get in.

You need to start leaving the dog out alot during the day, ensure it has toys to play with.

Also make sure you bring the dog on at least 2 x 5 mile walks a day., he could be just bored.

If you have the dog inside when your at home, it will bark when outside as it thinks it can get in.

You need to start leaving the dog out alot during the day, ensure it has toys to play with.

Also make sure you bring the dog on at least 2 x 5 mile walks a day., he could be just bored.

I think that's what the problem is but I agree with you on the walks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,459 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

And how many times have posters replied to say they can't go talk to the person because they are unapproachable
    I think also it's not that the person is unapproachable per se, but rather you are going over to their house to complain about something/someone who is close to them. Some people are very protective of the pets / furry babies, they are considered a member of the family. In many cases the equivalent of someone coming to my door to complain about my son making noise.
    Edit - I'm not saying the OP is unapproachable - but rather from personal experience it is difficult to knock on someone's door and complain about their dog face to face, when I did I was practically apologising to the person for calling on them to complain!

I was replying to a poster who had quoted another poster. Poster 1 had said he/she suspects the neighbors have been putting up with this for longer than Op is admitting to. Poster 2 (who I replied to) incorrectly said that we should only reply to what the Op said.
    I was letting poster 2 know that the Op was aware of a barking problem so clearly it wasn't a one off.

I agree with you the neighbors should have approached the Op first but that hasn't happened. The important thing now is to ensure no further action is taken.
    The Op is insisting the dog be left outside on a chain even though they are aware the dog will bark.
    The barking isn't going to magically stop and as the neighbors have made it clear they are sick of it so at this point something has to change.

The OP is insisting the dog be left outside on a chain?? Again, complete embellishment of what the OP has stated. He's said it once and been asked why, gave a reason and myself and other posters have told him why it's not a great idea.

This is probably the OPs first dog unless he or his partner had one when they were kids. And while caring for the wellbeing of pets has moved on a lot in the past few years, it's not all that long ago when pretty much every pet dog lived outdoors 24/7 so perhaps he's just going on what his family used to do. He came here looking for advice, not to be told he's a crap owner. He possibly thinks that there's no choice but to leave the dog outside in case it toilets/chews/destroys the house. I hadn't a clue what a crate was when I got my first dog.
    :confused:

The OP is specifically annoyed because nobody approached him! Going on what the OP says, I'd say that the neighbours may think he's unapproachable because his dog is dog aggressive. People tend to cross the street when they see a dog with a muzzle because it's automatically deemed aggressive, whether it is or not. Add in that the OPs dog loses it when she sees dogs I'd wager that he's gained a possibly unfounded reputation as a "hard man"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Clampdown

In a former life as an SPCA worker, we had a similar case with a German Shepherd, they can be a major commitment and don't fit every lifestyle, even those that try their best. Especially when young, they crave company and interesing things to do. They are a huge amount of work, and we had one that was returned 2 times and only worked out when adopted by a former military officer who had loads of experience with the breed.

Leaving her outside when you are not home means that a large dog that is aggressive to other animals, and probably seems aggressive in general to your neighbors (even if she is not) is unsupervised. You should stop this right away.

You really need to stop leaving her outside on a chain for more than a short period, NOT leave her outside more as the last poster said. The barking will not stop if you leave her outside more often, trust me, and your neighbors can't be expected to listen to it for long periods any more.

She needs to be inside and be given as much stimulation through training and attention as possible. If you need to put her outside for short periods when you ARE home then that is okay but you can't be leaving her outside unsupervised. A grown GSD can often break chains and escape high walls (you'd be amazed at how skilled they are at escaping) and that would put any other animals in your neighborhood at risk.

If you aren't able to provide the stimulation and supervison she needs (and that isn't a judgement on you, a GSD pup can be an enormous amount of work, tbh most people would find it too much), then I would strongly consider returning her to the shelter and then, after some time, try again with a slightly older dog of a less demanding breed.

Think about it, a large German Shepherd chained up in a garden going mad, barking and snarling at everything around her is not a desirable situation for you or the dog or your neighbors. You had great intentions but right now all three parties are being stressed and miserable. The shelter workers will (should) be totally understanding and wouldn't want an adopter to force a situation that wasn't right.

Myself I fostered a collie pup once, it was very difficult, I was overwhelmed. They are mad when they are pups. I was so relieved when he was adopted by a woman who worked from home as he could not be left on his own But now years later I adopted a 3 year old Collie and he is the easiest dog to take care of, needs a good bit of exercise and attention but it's not an overwhelming amount, it's the perfect amount for what I have time for. So I would look for a better match for you and your home and advise the shelter about her behavior issues to help them find a better match for her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

OP so there a couple if issues here…

The dog being chained etc.- if im 100% honest id also report this, as if the dog is in a secure garden / pen this isn’t necessary.

Exercise – my 11 year old cocker does around 7k each evening takes around an hour so I would imagine your dog needs at least this and more. Plus playing ball – mental stimulation… all dogs need this.

Outside kennel – how do you know your dog uses it? On the odd occasion years ago when my dog was left outside for a few hours he NEVER used his, used to be soaking when I got home, even though his kennel was the correct size etc.
    On that note if the kennel isn’t correct for the breed i.e. too big / to small the dog won’t use it.

If your dog is inside 100% of the time when you’re at home as you say, why put her out at all? My guy is in the house all day when we are at work – for a number of reasons really … I don’t want him stolen from my garden, had probably bark all day if left outside and I don’t want to upset the neighbours… he loves sleeping beside the radiator etc.…. so it’s a win win all round.

Boredom is a main reason for excessive barking etc –sound like the dog is bored etc

Hi.

In a previous post i said there is one specific spot she could jump over. It'd take an olmypic games worthy jump, but it's possible.

I'm not there. I have no idea if she's using the kennel or not for sleeping. I do know she goes into it, as that's where i put the food bowl, and it was empty when i got home. The callout was for there being no shelter (which there is), not the lack of use thereof. Kennel is for large dogs, and she fits comfortably in it.

Why keep her outside? Its her having an accident inside.

Dog is not bored. Again, in a previous post i said the barking starts the moment i go inside. Now, unless she has ADHD doggy version, then i doubt she's getting instantly bored. I also said she's barking at car doors, house alarms etc. It's the stimulation. Any and all sounds elicit a bark from her.

Exactly this.

I'm not asking for advice on how to stop her barking (though i have received loads, and thanks for that).

I am asking about what to do regarding the guards and ISPCA being called on me for a single saturday of barking. One, the guards shouldn't have been involved at all.
    I live in the sticks, and believe it or not, but Gardai abuse of position is rife in the midlands. I need to nip this in the butt.

• Advertisement

Routine she gets.

Cesar Milan i will not watch.
    Nor will i watch the Jeremy Kyle show. Or the Kardashians. Or Ultimate Coupon Families, or anything else of the sort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

I am asking about what to do regarding the guards and ISPCA being called on me for a single saturday of barking...........................................................I need to nip this in the butt.

Why would you do anything? Its over, the authorities have assured themselves that everything is fine.

Why the need to do anything? Is it revenge you are after or what do you hope to achieve? You just want to tell someone off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Letree wrote: »
    You could safely assume your dog then barks for the 2/3 hours. I have two dogs near me and they bark quite a bit. I hate it. People don't mind their own dogs barking because they know they can stop it at any time. But it is not the same for your neighbours. They just have to sit and hope it stops. Then when it does they sit agitated waiting for it to start again. That is my experience anyway. You get pleasure from your dog. Your neighbours get nothing other than the barking. Don't underestimate how angry your neighbours can feel about the barking.

This expresses my feelings exactly. Ive loads of neighbours with barking dogs. The lack of being able to stop them, and getting anxious about them starting again is horrible, its like tortue. And I work from a home office... I had to buy noise cancelling headphones to keep sane.

As you say doesnt seem to bother the neighbour as they can just stop it when they want.

I have never given the impression i can't be talked to.

I'm on a cul-de-sac, end of row house, and my garden being quit large borders 9 other gardens which are on a seperate cul-de-sac. The rear-of-house gardens are back to back.

Seeing as that we're on a different road, i've never seen these neighbours, i've never heard them in their gardens. I have had zero contact with them whatsoever.

This is not a case of me being unaproachable, rather its a case of them not bothering their hole.

Here are facts we do know from what was written in this thread.

- The OP knows the dog barks all the time when outside
    - The OP puts the dog outside anyway

I'm not about to judge the neighbours too harshly here, they are the ones being subjected to the noise when it happens.

I will grant this.

I do leave her out. And i've said we are working on the issues. It's not some wand i can wave.

Last summer, after we had bought the house, it was quite warm and we left all the doors open. She'll have free reign when it gets warmer.

That said, maybe my neighbours don't know that there is a new owner (previous one went bust and got seized by the banks).

The OP said if they are away for 2 to 3 hours the dog is outside. I suspect this is the real problem. All them 2 to 3 hours adds up to insanity. Ive neighbours who do it...you can set your watch by it.

The OP knows the dog barks outside, leaves them out anyway.... Then gets surprised when complaints are made.... This is unfortunately common...

Why the need to do anything? Is it revenge you are after or what do you hope to achieve? You just want to tell someone off?

Pound of flesh i suppose.

You're right, i should let it go.

I will grant this.

I do leave her out. And i've said we are working on the issues. It's not some wand i can wave.

You should call to your neighbour and talk to them. Tell them you are working on it and let them know they can chat to you any time about. Could do wonders for all concerned as the situation wont get any better otherwise.

At the moment, your neighbours may think of you as "the selfish people with the barking dog". Having a chat could be good...

• Advertisement

You should call to your neighbour and talk to them. Tell them you are working on it and let them know they can chat to you any time about. Could do wonders for all concerned as the situation wont get any better otherwise.

At the moment, your neighbours may think of you as "the selfish people with the barking dog". Having a chat could be good...

From the vague gesturing from the guard (he slammed his arm down when he realised what he was doing, as he knew full well he shouldn't have been there), and the number of houses which possibly couldn't see the dog-house, its any one of 5 houses. I'll write a note and pop it into each one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭jelutong

Exactly this.

I'm not asking for advice on how to stop her barking (though i have received loads, and thanks for that).

I am asking about what to do regarding the guards and ISPCA being called on me for a single saturday of barking. One, the guards shouldn't have been involved at all.
    I live in the sticks, and believe it or not, but Gardai abuse of position is rife in the midlands. I need to nip this in the butt.

"Nip in the butt"!! Poor choice of words there.

Exactly this.

The law is the dog must have adequate food, access to clean water and shelter. From March she will need to be microchipped too if she isn't already. So the ispca won't be back.
    Your neighbors might decide to complain to the council though which could leave you with a hefty fine.

Do you think it's a bit selfish to leave your dog outside in case of an accident but expect other people to put up with her barking?

It happened to me too, I've a crafty dog who can escape and barks constantly when left outside. My neighbor complained- since then the dog is supervised while outside and never left alone outside to cause trouble.

Remember your neighbors have a right to peaceful living too.

I live in the sticks
    I'm on a cul-de-sac, end of row house, and my garden being quit large borders 9 other gardens which are on a seperate cul-de-sac. The rear-of-house gardens are back to back.

I've bad news for you. You don't live in the sticks. You live in a housing estate and your dog is pi$$ing off at least one neighbour. As I said before if you can't be there for her, consider giving her up. How can you call yourself a dog lover when she is quite obviously unhappy. I'm sorry to have a go but I really don't think you're thinking this through properly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Why would you recommend watching one of the most clueless and least informed wannabie dog trainer on TV who BS about "pack theories and alpha dogs" which have been proven wrong for over 20 years?

emeldc wrote: »
    I've bad news for you. You don't live in the sticks. You live in a housing estate and your dog is pi$$ing off at least one neighbour. As I said before if you can't be there for her, consider giving her up. How can you call yourself a dog lover when she is quite obviously unhappy. I'm sorry to have a go but I really don't think you're thinking this through properly.

Not everywhere with a housing estate is in a city.

It's still the country as compared to galway/sligo/dublin et al.

She barks at stimulus. I'm really not sure how you're equating this to unhappiness.

Also, i never said i was a dog lover. Those words never left my lips/fingertips.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Absolutely no way. If a dog is barking for hours at a time, they are a nuisance. Neighbours were right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭celligraphy

As someone who puts up with daily barking from neighbour dogs I understand why your neighbours reported you, get a dog walker

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Jadaol

Nody wrote: »
    Why would you recommend watching one of the most clueless and least informed wannabie dog trainer on TV who BS about "pack theories and alpha dogs" which have been proven wrong for over 20 years?

had no idea he was so hated!

i caught a few episodes over Christmas for the first time and found it alright. Nothing really wrong in what he said and picked up a tip that worked on a dog that was giving trouble

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,858 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

The law is the dog must have adequate food, access to clean water and shelter. From March she will need to be microchipped too if she isn't already. So the ispca won't be back.
    Your neighbors might decide to complain to the council though which could leave you with a hefty fine.

Do you think it's a bit selfish to leave your dog outside in case of an accident but expect other people to put up with her barking?

It happened to me too, I've a crafty dog who can escape and barks constantly when left outside. My neighbor complained- since then the dog is supervised while outside and never left alone outside to cause trouble.

Remember your neighbors have a right to peaceful living too.

Eh, a dog belongs outside, a dog inside is bad for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Eh, a dog belongs outside, a dog inside is bad for it.

Are you one of my neighbours....??!

• Advertisement
Advertisement