Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giant CRS 3.0 buying chain and related parts

Options
  • 23-02-2016 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

Guys,
    I am going to buy & replace chain and related kit on my Giant CRS 3.0 (2008). I don't know much about bikes (at the moment) but hoping to learn. I am going to attempt to match specs from current bike cassette ratio and teeth "ratio" on the current crankset to keep things straightforward.
    What would people think of the following:
    SRAM PC870 8 Speed Chain
    SRAM PG850 8 Speed MTB Cassette
    Clarks 72mm Alumium Triple Contour Brake Shoes

I am having difficulty finding an 8 speed crankset to replace my Alivio FC-M411 crankset 3x7/ 8 speed 48-38-28, can anyone suggest what I could get to match/ that would be compatible with the above setup? From what I can tell SRAM seems to be better but I think Shimano and SRAM are inter-compatible.

The bottom bracket (I think the thing that in the frame of the bike and which the crankset attaches too) on the bike is Shimano UN26 Square Taper Bottom bracket 68x122.5mm - English Thread

Cheers,
    Fi.

P.S.: sorry for the rubbish title!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭fidero

the latest addition to the above list is Shimano Acera FC-M361 Crank Set 3x7/8-speed 48-38-28 - black

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

fidero wrote: »
    Guys,
    I am going to buy & replace chain and related kit on my Giant CRS 3.0 (2008). I don't know much about bikes (at the moment) but hoping to learn. I am going to attempt to match specs from current bike cassette ratio and teeth "ratio" on the current crankset to keep things straightforward.
    What would people think of the following:
    SRAM PC870 8 Speed Chain
    SRAM PG850 8 Speed MTB Cassette
    Clarks 72mm Alumium Triple Contour Brake Shoes

I am having difficulty finding an 8 speed crankset to replace my Alivio FC-M411 crankset 3x7/ 8 speed 48-38-28, can anyone suggest what I could get to match/ that would be compatible with the above setup? From what I can tell SRAM seems to be better but I think Shimano and SRAM are inter-compatible.

The bottom bracket (I think the thing that in the frame of the bike and which the crankset attaches too) on the bike is Shimano UN26 Square Taper Bottom bracket 68x122.5mm - English Thread

Cheers,
    Fi.

P.S.: sorry for the rubbish title!!

Hi,

I think the list above will fit on your bike with no problems. Just make sure the cassette you buy has the same gearing (no of cogs on each gear) or you may have to change the rear derailleur.

It's a good idea to change the chain and the cassette at the same time because matching old and new often results in skipping if there is any excessive wear.

The front chainrings generally last longer that the cassette - do these really need to be changed? If they do, bike24 have the exact thing available for €27.90 plus shipping (link). The crank arm length will be printed on the inside of what you have.

You will need tools for all this. If you happen to own or have access to an Aldi/Lidl toolbox you have all you'll need, otherwise you need to purchase:

Cassette Remover. e.g. link
    Chain breaker. e.g. link
    Chain Whip. e.g. link
    If you are replacing the front cranks, you'll also need a crank extractor - e.g. link.

In addition to the above, you'll need some general purpose tools - socket set, pliers, etc. You will probably need the chain breaker to get your existing chain off the bike but your new SRAM chain comes will a special link that needs no tools. Your old chain will have stretched so be careful to measure the new chain by counting links and not by length. This assumes your new cassette is the same as the old one. If the number of teeth on the biggest cog is more/less the old cassette, you chain may need to make the chain bigger/smaller respectively. You'll find how to calculate the length on various web sites. The chain breaker can be used to remove links from the new chain to get it to the right size; as ever with these things, measure twice 10 times, cut once!

I wouldn't describe the work as very difficult. In fact, you'll probably enjoy it as long as you take your time and have the appropriate tools to hand. There are lots of videos out there on youtube to explain everything you need to know, so I won't go over that here.

Best of luck!

Advertisement