Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need advice : rent a room or an appartment

Options
  • 23-02-2016 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi !
    I've found a job in Dublin, and now I'm looking for a room or an appartment . In fact, I already have found a room (700+ € / month), but I'll probably leave after a month, I think this is a bit too expensive, and I'd like to rent a room where I'll be able to invite my family/friend without paying more... In fact, my boyfriend is going to join me in Ireland in December, so I guess the best solution would be to take a room during the period of april -> december. I'll be working in Blanchardstown, and I won't have a car (just a bike :) ), do you think it's better to live in the centre of Dublin, or in Dublin 15 ? Do you have any advice for me ? It's a little be stressfull (even more when you're not in the country) ...
    Thanks !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Kai123

Single bedroom apartments around Dublin 15 go for about €1000. You might get one in Ongar which is nearby for cheaper, but after you factor in public transport costs, it might not be worth it.

There are plenty of rooms to rent for much cheaper though, around €450 is the cheapest I've seen for an ensuite. It might be best to rent in a bigger house but once your bf shows up it might be a problem.

The 39A bus route services plenty of areas going into town that might offer cheaper rent (areas like Ashtown, Dublin 8 and 7). If you are fairly fit to cycle then Clonsilla might be a good area.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Linkstr

Ok ok thanks :) do you think it's possible to find a room for a specific date ? because in most ads it says "available now" :/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭Tigger99

No, most ads will want someone straight away. There's little point looking more than 3/4 weeks in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Also even for rooms there is intense competition. I'm in D15 and had 100+ replies to a room for rent ad I posted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Do not get involved in looking for rooms out of country. You are more than likely going to be scammed.

Book a couple of weeks through something like AirBnB and then find a room. Then start looking for an apartment nearer the time. If you're looking for a bit more space go somewhere like Ongar. If I was working in D15 I'd stay out that way. D15 is like a little town in of itself to be honest. I personally fecking hate D15 but that's just me. There are plenty of options for getting back there after a night on the town in Dublin.

If you rent a room and mess someone about by leaving in short order, expect shenanigans with your deposit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

athtrasna wrote: »
    Also even for rooms there is intense competition. I'm in D15 and had 100+ replies to a room for rent ad I posted

In D15 I'd expect (way) more competition for rooms than even apartments. There's huge numbers of temporary and junior positions in the various companies that have landed out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Linkstr wrote: »
    but I'll probably leave after a month, I think this is a bit too expensive
    You'll probably be forfeiting your deposit.
    I'll be working in Blanchardstown, and I won't have a car (just a bike :) ), do you think it's better to live in the centre of Dublin, or in Dublin 15 ?
    Depending where in Blanch you'll be working, tbh, as there may not be anywhere secure to lock your bike.
    Do you have any advice for me ? It's a little be stressfull (even more when you're not in the country) ...
    I can show you pictures of a lovely apartment for €800 a month, and €1600 rent. Payable up front. When you get over here, come to the Phoenix Park and contact me... via prayer. No, seriously :pac:

As said, don't look from abroad, as there are a few ads that have popped up especially aimed at those abroad, for properties that don't really exist.

Get an AirBnB for a week, or a one room hostel, and get a place whilst you're here. Landlords don't have to wait around for a tenant to move in, so if they are, there's probably something wrong with the place!

Advertisement