Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your own credit card or post office currency card

• 23-02-2016 3:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭

Just wondering is it worth getting a currency card for when I go to England from the post office or just load my own card with cash?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Moved from Consumer Issues

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Kepler 186f

I got one from revolut. No fees and can transfer funds into it from a debit/ credit card. Have used it in the UK and no hassles
    https://www.revolut.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Santy2015 wrote: »
    Just wondering is it worth getting a currency card for when I go to England from the post office or just load my own card with cash?

It is worth getting a currency card (with currency of country you are going to), but definitely not from post office.

Advice above about revolut is good. Much better value on exchange rate than post office.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

CiniO wrote: »
    It is worth getting a currency card (with currency of country you are going to), but definitely not from post office.

Advice above about revolut is good. Much better value on exchange rate than post office.

Thanks, I'll look into that so. Looks better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭roweeeeena

The An post conversion for Euro to Canadian dollar is listed as buy rate 1.4068 sell rate 1.5240, on XE it's 1.00 EUR= 1.46639 CAD so an post doesn't seem bad at all?.. or am I missing something, I'm awful with maths and anything numbers related!

• Advertisement

roweeeeena wrote: »
    The An post conversion for Euro to Canadian dollar is listed as buy rate 1.4068 sell rate 1.5240, on XE it's 1.00 EUR= 1.46639 CAD so an post doesn't seem bad at all?.. or am I missing something, I'm awful with maths and anything numbers related!

So.
    If you decide to buy $10,000 it will cost you €7,108
    Then if you decide to sell it back to euros the same day, you will get €6,562.

That's nearly 550 quid gone just like that.

IMO it's a very bad exchange rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭roweeeeena

CiniO wrote: »
    So.
    If you decide to buy $10,000 it will cost you €7,108
    Then if you decide to sell it back to euros the same day, you will get €6,562.

That's nearly 550 quid gone just like that.

IMO it's a very bad exchange rate.

Thanks for the reply. Yes selling it back is a very bad rate but I would be exchanging it to spend it all in dollars, wouldn't be selling back so not sure. Just trying to work out is it better than withdrawing from foreign ATM with the daily limits and charges.

roweeeeena wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. Yes selling it back is a very bad rate but I would be exchanging it to spend it all in dollars, wouldn't be selling back so not sure. Just trying to work out is it better than withdrawing from foreign ATM with the daily limits and charges.

I showed you an exchange both sides, to give you a picture how much you are loosing on exchanging money that way.

With your exchange rate from an Post, it looks like $10,000 (Canadian) cost you €7,108.
    If you use revolut to change that money, it will cost you €6,854.

So over €250 cheaper.

Advertisement