Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

For Cork vapists: Found a decent battery shop in Cork.

• 23-02-2016 3:41pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 80 ✭✭

If ye are stuck for a battery there's a shop called Battery World in Togher, beside the petrol station on Vicars Road.

Just picked up a Panasonic NCR18650PF for €10.

The vape shops in town sell dodgy "efest" batteries and other makes that I've never heard of. So for those of you who might want a quality battery check this shop out.

Maplin also have 18650s but they're a bit pricier.

Does anybody know other sources of 18650s other than vape shops?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Steve666

The shop on Patrick's Street (eSmoke Store I think it's called) sold me a few Samsung 25Rs and a Sony VTC4 in the last few months. From memory, I think they have continuous discharge limits of 20 and 30 amps respectively. A quick google search told me that the Panasonic you picked up has a continuous discharge limit of 10 amps. That might be enough to cover you of course, if you use coils with a resistance of no lower than 0.42 ohms, but I regularly go as low as 0.2 ohms, so I need the batteries to have a higher discharge limit. Both the Sony and the Samsung batteries cost me €15 each, but I'm sure you could get them for 10 online...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 80 ✭✭28srf0c

Steve666 wrote: »
    The shop on Patrick's Street (eSmoke Store I think it's called) sold me a few Samsung 25Rs and a Sony VTC4 in the last few months. From memory, I think they have continuous discharge limits of 20 and 30 amps respectively. A quick google search told me that the Panasonic you picked up has a continuous discharge limit of 10 amps. That might be enough to cover you of course, if you use coils with a resistance of no lower than 0.42 ohms, but I regularly go as low as 0.2 ohms, so I need the batteries to have a higher discharge limit. Both the Sony and the Samsung batteries cost me €15 each, but I'm sure you could get them for 10 online...

I only vape at 10w max, and always 1.50hm or more. I'm not into cloud-blasting or rebuilding.

The battery should last a good few days for me @2900mah. The ones you mentioned above are well regarded online, I've heard of them before. But I'm more into high mah than amp limits because I vape like a granny. I've also read that Panasonics have the safest chemistry out of all the brands.

There's a Sanyo 3500mah battery I'm thinking of getting tho, that would last me a bloody week.

So does anybody know where we can get 18650s in Cork other than vape shops and that Battery World?

Anyway, here's my vape mail from today. The battery was for the iStick 60w. Very nice little mod.

In Black: http://i.imgur.com/ShsvqgR.jpg

White: http://i.imgur.com/rVKao9m.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

28srf0c wrote: »
    If ye are stuck for a battery there's a shop called Battery World in Togher, beside the petrol station on Vicars Road.

Just picked up a Panasonic NCR18650PF for €10.

The vape shops in town sell dodgy "efest" batteries and other makes that I've never heard of. So for those of you who might want a quality battery check this shop out.

Maplin also have 18650s but they're a bit pricier.

Does anybody know other sources of 18650s other than vape shops?

What is dodgy about efest batteries? I've been using mine for over six months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

monkeynuz wrote: »

They are all rebranded and rewrapped "rejected" versions of the main manufacturers batteries. Majority of them if not all are also labelled with incorrect amp ratings. A lot recently have been discovered to be 10A but labelled as 38A.

Generally fine if you are just using them at 30-40w, but could be very dangerous if used in unregulated devices, or devices you use where you regularly exceed 100w or more.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 80 ✭✭28srf0c

monkeynuz wrote: »

As soundman says, they are not what they say on the tin. Many tests have been done on these batteries, and the specs are always a lie.

Stick with the big names - Panasonic, Samsung, Sony, LG and make sure they're authentic.

• Advertisement

28srf0c wrote: »
    As soundman says, they are not what they say on the tin. Many tests have been done on these batteries, and the specs are always a lie.

Stick with the big names - Panasonic, Samsung, Sony, LG and make sure they're authentic.

Easier said than done when starting out and not knowing about batteries and coupled to the fact that five moths ago that was all I could get from Irish vendors.

You say about Sony, but Sony themselves said in a statement that they stopped making them ages ago so ain't batteries are all a con that are available now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Sony have stopped manufacturing for the public market, which is why I avoid any alleged legit batteries being sold with their name.

Personally I'll stick with LG and Samsung as you know where you stand with them. A wee bit of research into specs before buying goes a long way. Before buying mine I spent a good few days checking out what was out there and compared them to what I was going to be asking of them with regards my builds. So far, I haven't had any issues and I have been working them hard enough.

Soundman wrote: »
    Sony have stopped manufacturing for the public market, which is why I avoid any alleged legit batteries being sold with their name.

Personally I'll stick with LG and Samsung as you know where you stand with them. A wee bit of research into specs before buying goes a long way. Before buying mine I spent a good few days checking out what was out there and compared them to what I was going to be asking of them with regards my builds. So far, I haven't had any issues and I have been working them hard enough.

Sony have stopped making them altogether and they were never meant for the public market at all, they only ever made them to go inside laptops &c.

The Sony battery I got was in a Joyetech box - so ye reckon Joyetech are selling fake Sony batteries? Huge if true! Joyetech recommend them for use in all their boxes - VTC Mini, Cuboid and Reuleaux.

Steve666 wrote: »
    The Sony battery I got was in a Joyetech box - so ye reckon Joyetech are selling fake Sony batteries? Huge if true! Joyetech recommend them for use in all their boxes - VTC Mini, Cuboid and Reuleaux.

Just quoting a boss at Sony, don't shoot the messenger. Also he said that any in circulation are either old dodgy stock or fakes.

• Advertisement

Ha, not shooting anyone - I heard about that Sony statement too, but people seemed to take it to mean that Sony just want to distance themselves from vaping, and the potential for very bad publicity resulting from fools blowing their faces off. Which is completely understandable. But if they have completely stopped making them, then what are Joyetech selling? I thought Joyetech were like a reliable name - certainly every product of theirs that I've come across has been of very high quality. This changes everything though.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 ohmplate

It's just Sony covering themselves. None of the big names are happy about their 18650 cells being used for vaping. I have 16 Sony batteries all bought in the last few months and all legit.

Advertisement