Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lights at Quincentennial bridge off again (tues 23rd)

Options
  • 23-02-2016 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭

Lights are off again. Workmen looking at the signal box at 2.45pm. Single lanes on approach roads and no Guards to be seen. Brace yourselves for rush hour :(

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Lights are off again. Workmen looking at the signal box at 2.45pm. Single lanes on approach roads and no Guards to be seen. Brace yourselves for rush hour :(
    Eh, those 'workmen' are actually looking around and chatting.
    Traffic backed up way past Kirwan inbound

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

snubbleste wrote: »
    Eh, those 'workmen' are actually looking around and chatting.
    Traffic backed up way past Kirwan inbound

Yes, I said they were looking at the box, not mending it! Hope it gets fixed soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Lights are now back ON. Hoorah!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

I saw them off on Tuesday 23rd at about 4pm very heavy traffic as a result, particularly from the Clifden side of the N59.

I'm not a traffic engineer, but a temporary set with some kind of timing (based presumably on the what you would hope is documented timing of the original set) programmed in surely isn't out of reach for the city council to get deployed at short notice. It is a major regional crossing point - was there no other contingency plan for this scenario except to order a new controller box and get it delivered and installed and operate with no lights until then?

Seriously bad redundancy planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭talking_walnut

Just passed that way any they're out again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,127 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I saw them off on Tuesday 23rd at about 4pm very heavy traffic as a result, particularly from the Clifden side of the N59.

I'm not a traffic engineer, but a temporary set with some kind of timing (based presumably on the what you would hope is documented timing of the original set) programmed in surely isn't out of reach for the city council to get deployed at short notice. It is a major regional crossing point - was there no other contingency plan for this scenario except to order a new controller box and get it delivered and installed and operate with no lights until then?

Seriously bad redundancy planning.
    Or the temporary closure of the side roads to through traffic, diverting them through the roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ger vallely

Still off at 8.15am on Thursday morning, what is the problem this time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Same cause each time. It's damage caused by the initial crash last week. They're working on it again trying to trace where the problem is occurring.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Hope taxpayers not going to foot the bill for all these costs.
    Presume insurance company will pay out for this?
    i.e Insurance company of the motorist responsible for destroying the traffic control box when they ran the red light

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭talking_walnut

Same cause each time. It's damage caused by the initial crash last week. They're working on it again trying to trace where the problem is occurring.

I thought the initial problem was that the signal box was destroyed and they had to wait for a replacement. That's been in since Tuesday.

My biggest gripe is that they've made no effort to ease the congestion caused by the lights being out (save a few rows of cones). No Guards to direct traffic at peak times, no stop/go men, no temporary lights. People driving Moycullen-Newcastle road have to cross 4 lanes of traffic! God help pedestrians that have to cross there. I hope they're quick footed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

They did replace the box. The problem isn't the replacement box itself it's bad wiring somewhere they believe was damaged during the crash and keeps shorting at random times.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

They did replace the box. The problem isn't the replacement box itself it's bad wiring somewhere they believe was damaged during the crash and keeps shorting at random times.
    I'm sure there is a correlation between the failing lights and the amount of election posters in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Are the lights still out?

Advertisement