Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quorn Roast - refreeze after cooking

Options
  • 23-02-2016 5:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭

Hey guys,

So I'm the only veggie in the family & my mum cooked me a quorn roast yesterday. I'm about half way through it between dinner yesterday & lunch today but don't really fancy it for my next 2 meals as I try to minimise overly processed food to once a week.

Can it be frozen after cooking? And does it still taste ok when defrosted? I really don't want to end up throwing it out either!

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭chewed

You're not supposed to refreeze anything that was already frozen. I assume this roast was frozen when purchased.

Stick it into an airtight container in the fridge and it should last a few days.

BTW, what is the roast like? Nice?

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭Guess_Who

Much nicer than I expected. I'm not that into the whone "fake meat" thing but for a family occasion I'd definitely have it again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

Guess_Who wrote: »
    Much nicer than I expected. I'm not that into the whone "fake meat" thing but for a family occasion I'd definitely have it again

If I have leftover quorn roast I tear it into pieces literally and then in a few days fry it quickly for sandwiches bagels etc. It can also be used cold in rolls or salads. I wouldn't refreeze.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Edward Hopper

Cuts quite well with a mandolin/v slicer type thing and isn't far off their chicken slices. I know that doesn't answer your question though op, sorry.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

chewed wrote: »
    You're not supposed to refreeze anything that was already frozen. I assume this roast was frozen when purchased.

You can refreeze food that had been previously frozen, provided that you cook it/boil it before refreezing it. For instance, you buy frozen peas, you cook them, then you can re-freeze them. Or, you make soup, you freeze it, you defrost it, you boil it again (not just bring it to boiling point, but actually let it boil for a few minutes), you let it cool and you can freeze it again. What you have to avoid is to re-freeze food that had been only thawed. The reason for this is that thawed food would allow bacteria to grow and if refrozen right away they'd only be put in a dormant state, but the bacteria would be killed off with cooking.

I'm only looking at this from the bacteria point of view, not from that of food consistency/taste/nutritional value.

Hope this helps.

• Advertisement
Advertisement