Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance for a Vacant House

• 23-02-2016 6:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭

Hi,

We are after buying a countryside dormer in the midlands, which we would like to insure. Prior to purchase, the house was raided. Most of the plumbing was ripped out and the kitchen was vandalised beyond repair. The power is currently disconnected and as a result the alarm is not functioning.

Ive been in touch with the esb and an electrician so we hope to have the alarm working as soon as possible. We have changed all the locks.

We are currently living abroad but will be moving home to Ireland next year. My parents live a few miles from the house. I will be home a good bit renovating but will also be away for months on end.

We wish to renovate as much of the house as possible now but are obviously wary of fixing for example the plumbing or kitchen, should the house be broken into again. Then again, we don't want someone breaking in a burning the house to the ground so we are going to get it ensured.

What options do we have and what companies should we contact regarding quotes?

Thanks for your help,

Barra.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭tracey1098

Best to contact a broker, they will research the market for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

If it's unoccupied you won't get cover beyond fire only. No cover for contents . No cover for vandalism.

It doesn't make a difference if ýour parents lived next door. If there is no one there overnight it's unoccupied.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭BarraOG

peteb2 wrote: »
    If it's unoccupied you won't get cover beyond fire only. No cover for contents . No cover for vandalism.

It doesn't make a difference if ýour parents lived next door. If there is no one there overnight it's unoccupied.

Allianz cover theft and vandalism for a holiday home:

Endorsements:
    E09

(4) The exclusion:
    “where the private house has been Unoccupied for more than 35 consecutive days immediately prior to the loss or damage” does not apply to the following causes and additional benefits:
    Section 1:
    • Freezing escape or overflow of water from within any plumbing or heating
    system, fixed water apparatus or domestic appliance,
    • Stealing or attempted stealing,
    • Escape or overflow of oil from within any plumbing or heating system or fixed
    domestic appliance,
    • Malicious damage and vandalism,...

https://www.allianz.ie/home-insurance/cover_info/home_select_policy_document_0714.pdf

So in other words, normally if the house is not occupied for 35 day, you won't be covered for theft and vandalism. But if the house is a holiday home it will be covered in this regard.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Holiday home cover disagrees with you. That includes periods of non occupation, and even provides protection against water damage.

Contents are certainly covered.

Holiday home cover disagrees with you. That includes periods of non occupation, and even provides protection against water damage.

Except for the fact this isn't a holiday home. It's intention isn't letting thereof. And to say it is would be a misrepresentation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,449 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Except for the fact this isn't a holiday home. It's intention isn't letting thereof. And to say it is would be a misrepresentation.
    Holiday homes don't necessarily have to be let.

I've had a holiday home fully insured for years that has never been let, and would be occupied for about 3 weekends in the year.

OP, a broker (I've used Aaron Insurances and Glennon's) should be able to sort this for you.

(The recent break-in may make it more difficult, mind you)

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Holiday homes don't necessarily have to be let.

I've had a holiday home fully insured for years that has never been let, and would be occupied for about 3 weekends in the year.

OP, a broker (I've used Aaron Insurances and Glennon's) should be able to sort this for you.

Again I'm only dealing with the facts as presented. If that's the case why not just suggest the op insures it as a main residence and says he stays there one day out of thirty??

Would seem the property is possibly in a bad state of repair. The fact it's being renovated would be a material fact.

Does holiday home cover cost a lot more? Generally speaking, are there specific requirements which the house must meet to be deemed a holiday home?

Does building cover for a holiday home include a built in kitchen (dishwasher, micro etc), rads, boiler in boiler house, hot water cylinder, laminate floors, etc?

I rang an agent today and asked if insuring the house with Holiday Home Coverage would make sense since we won't be moving home until next year and they indicated that it would make sense. I don't see anything in the policies I've looked at that defines what a holiday house is exactly.

Again I'm only dealing with the facts as presented. If that's the case why not just suggest the op insures it as a main residence and says he stays there one day out of thirty??

Holiday Home Insurance can cover theft and vandalism, for example, even when the property has been vacant for more than a month. Standard Insurance won't.
    Would seem the property is possibly in a bad state of repair. The fact it's being renovated would be a material fact.

Yes, we need to fix the plumbing and kitchen but then theres nothing to stop someone living there. I need to research a bit more regarding how this effect coverage.

• Advertisement

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    (The recent break-in may make it more difficult, mind you)

The online quotes I've gotten involve answering a range of questions but I've yet to see the question "Has the property been broken into within the last few years?". Not even sure if it was a break in or whether a former tenant (house was rented out before) did it, nor do I know when it happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,449 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

My advice would be to speak to a broker, or even a number of them (apologies if you've already done this!)

My experience of trying to insure an old house (100 years +) and the holiday house is that it's not straightforward but a broker will know best where/how to steer you.

The worst scenario would be for you to somehow shoehorn yourself into fitting a policy (I'm not suggesting you're going to lie, btw!), but then if/when something happens it turns out some important or material fact was omitted and you're not covered or cover is inadequate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Nicola

BarraOG wrote: »
    Hi,

We are after buying a countryside dormer in the midlands, which we would like to insure. Prior to purchase, the house was raided. Most of the plumbing was ripped out and the kitchen was vandalised beyond repair. The power is currently disconnected and as a result the alarm is not functioning.

Ive been in touch with the esb and an electrician so we hope to have the alarm working as soon as possible. We have changed all the locks.

We are currently living abroad but will be moving home to Ireland next year. My parents live a few miles from the house. I will be home a good bit renovating but will also be away for months on end.

We wish to renovate as much of the house as possible now but are obviously wary of fixing for example the plumbing or kitchen, should the house be broken into again. Then again, we don't want someone breaking in a burning the house to the ground so we are going to get it ensured.

What options do we have and what companies should we contact regarding quotes?

Thanks for your help,

Barra.
    Hi BarraOG, Nicola here from the Bank of Ireland Talk to forum.

There's a number of factors that need to be considered when you're choosing your home insurance, including your occupancy and the property itself.

It'd be best to speak to a qualified adviser who can tailor the options to make sure that your cover best meets your needs and they'll be able to let you know about any restrictions or exclusions that could apply in your individual circumstances.

We've some information on home insurance available on our website here that you might find useful including the main features and restrictions for the cover that we offer as well as policy booklets that go through the conditions and exclusions for cover.

If you’ve any questions feel free to drop by our Talk to Forum.

Thanks
    Nicola

Thanks everyone! Went to the broker in our town and they said its next to impossible to get insurance for a vacant house (not true). I rang Allianz and they said it would not be possible until the plumbing was fixed (will not take new customers for a house which requires building works). Rang AXA and they insured it as a holiday home after I explained our situation and the issues with the house. Theft and Vandalism etc. are covered! I only insured the property rather than any contents.

Advertisement