Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone idea where the drive-thru cinema will be?

Options
  • 23-02-2016 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭

Anyone idea where the drive-thru cinema will be?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

According to KCLR it's underground. The only underground place I can think of that you can get a car into is an underground car park. The only vacant underground car park I know of in Kilkenny is the one under Marios. Therefore by my guesstimation it's under Mario's.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭linny

Could be in mac Donagh junction they only use top level of there underground carpark.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Sky King wrote: »
    According to KCLR it's underground. The only underground place I can think of that you can get a car into is an underground car park. The only vacant underground car park I know of in Kilkenny is the one under Marios. Therefore by my guesstimation it's under Mario's.

I think "underground Cinema"is the name of the company. You might be taking their name to literally.

looked for the facebook page
    http://www.facebook.com/Underground-Cinema-Drive-In-679605105411532/info/?tab=overview

looks like there is link to brownstown, kilkenny.

Bowlardo wrote: »
    I think "underground Cinema"is the name of the company. You might be taking their name to literally.

Perhaps, but the words weren't capitalised on the KCLR website so I took it to be a description as opposed to a name. Here it is verbatim:

New ‘drive-in’ underground cinema planned for Kilkenny this summer

So maybe it's not underground. What do we do when it rains? Use the wipers I guess.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

There's been one in Cork fora while, I'd imagine it's tough titty if it rains. I'd imagine it's next to impossible to have an underground one as you'd need a massive ceiling, drive in screens have to be a lot bigger than normal ones as the cars are a lot further back. I've corrected lots of people on the underground thing.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

There's been one in Cork fora while, I'd imagine it's tough titty if it rains. I'd imagine it's next to impossible to have an underground one as you'd need a massive ceiling, drive in screens have to be a lot bigger than normal ones as the cars are a lot further back. I've corrected lots of people on the underground thing.
    Plus underground if it's a cold night and lots of people have their engines running you'd probably end up with carbon monoxide poisoning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

linny wrote: »
    Could be in mac Donagh junction they only use top level of there underground carpark.

The last few times I was in there it was open out of necessity and almost full down there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Perhaps, but the words weren't capitalised on the KCLR website so I took it to be a description as opposed to a name. Here it is verbatim:

New ‘drive-in’ underground cinema planned for Kilkenny this summer

So maybe it's not underground. What do we do when it rains? Use the wipers I guess.

Yeah, "Underground" is the brand name, their drive-in screenings are outdoor. As for weather, their website says the wind is the main problem rather than rain but they will refund if they cancel.
    http://www.underground-cinema.com/drive-in-movies

so is it going to be in brownstown then ? what is out there? is there a park if some kind?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Bowlardo wrote: »
    so is it going to be in brownstown then ? what is out there? is there a park if some kind?
    The popup map on FB gives the Eircode as R95 FD2P which puts it in the truck yard of Thomas Walton Transport. They seem to have plenty of hard or gravel surface there for car parking.
    Google maps

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

slimjimmc wrote: »
    The popup map on FB gives the Eircode as R95 FD2P which puts it in the truck yard of Thomas Walton Transport. They seem to have plenty of hard or gravel surface there for car parking.
    Google maps

The car boot would be a great place for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

The car boot would be a great place for it.

Callan rd?

I overheard people discussing the merits and drawbacks of Kilkenny's new subterranean cinema the other day!

Seems as though this is a common mistake.

Bit of a daft name for this reason imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 OpenYourMind

The venue is where the car boot sale is held in Castleinch. Google thelunaflics (I can't post URLs here) for details of organisers.

I overheard people discussing the merits and drawbacks of Kilkenny's new subterranean cinema the other day!

Seems as though this is a common mistake.

Bit of a daft name for this reason imo.

I have had further conversations with people trying to explain, some less successful than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

I saw on book face today that the address was castleinch so that would be the car boot sale.

Seen an ad today, movies over three weekends in July and august.

Crowd pleasers like grease, dirty dancing, jaws etc..

catbear wrote: »
    Seen an ad today, movies over three weekends in July and august.

Crowd pleasers like grease, dirty dancing, jaws etc..

god grease is always played at out door cinema.jaws would be pretty cool though.

I really couldn't be arsed sitting in traffic going in and coming out when I can go to the local cinema without traffic hassle.

The whole thing just seems like nostalgia for americana.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Is it not 'Drive In' Cinema instead of 'Drive Thru'

• Advertisement

hi5 wrote: »
    Is it not 'Drive In' Cinema instead of 'Drive Thru'
    Well the local cinema could be classed as a drive in. You drive into the carpark, park, leave car, enter cinema, watch movie, leave cinema, go to pub, get in fight, end up in A&E, get discharged next morning, go back to cinema carpark, get in car, drive away. That's doesn't exactly suggest drive thru although I don't think it describes drive in means something else entirely.

To me drive thru means never having to leave your car, I've used drive through off-licenses in australia where you don't need to get out of your car!

Advertisement