Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second attempt at climbers in pots....suggestions please!

Options
  • 23-02-2016 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭

Hi folks,

I have two spots that I'm trying to grow climbers in pots, but have failed for the past 18 months. They are both on stones and concrete, so I have to use pots.

Position A - The side of the neighbours house is a concrete wall, extending down the side of our block. There is a 1m x 2m wooden trellis attached to the wall, but apart from that its smooth concrete. The spot is pretty much completely shaded, apart from for a couple of hours a day at the height of summer. My local nursery suggested a pyracantha, which has grown about half an inch in 18 months, so I'm after a better idea.....?? Anything that will cover up some of the wall would do.

Position B - Further down the wall becomes a wooden fence, with a 2m x 3m wooden trellis. This location gets sun from midday onwards (west facing) nearly all the year. I tried sweet peas here last year, but they didn't grow very well in the pot, and only made it about half way up the wall. Would like a bit of colour here, as its near the bbq/table area. Would any type of clematis grow well in a pot? other ideas?

I think my pots are about 40L.

Thanks for your help!

Advertisement