Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Host to host USB cable - advice sought

Options
  • 23-02-2016 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭

I recently bought a cheap Linx 7 (£40) and I want to be able to access and edit the files on it through a desktop PC. I want to do this through a cable (I have my reasons, I don't want to make a home network, use the cloud, bluetooth etc). So think I need a host to host USB cable (micro on one end, "normal" on the other). However, these seem very difficult to find. Also, I've seen some information that these need to be "bridged" to allow data to flow between the two PCs. Anybody have a good idea of where to find such a product at an affordable price?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-connect-your-android-tablet-to-a-computer-t.html

I use the cable from my phone charging unit,
    to acess my android phone, from my laptop running windows 7
    You may need to go to settings tablet,
    enable usb mode, or usb storage mode,

http://www.asoftech.com/articles/android-enable-mass-storage.html

IF you have any pc usb cable ,
    usb full size one end and micro usb ytpe on the other end it,ll should work.
    i presume the lynx is an androoid tablet.
    it should be switched ,on
    connect device to pc,
    click ok, use usb mode ,
    on tablet screen ,when device is detected .
    http://www.amazon.com/6ft-Cable-Forge-USB-Ellipsis/dp/B00HRCHTG2

any tablet, or android phone comes with this type of cable.
    MY phone cable plugs into any pc,
    or one end large usb plugs into my phone charger .

a otg usb cable can be bought for 2 euro on ebay,
    its used by android tablets to read usb drives .
    One end is micro usb type ,
    other end is female usb full size.

https://www.androidpit.com/usb-otg-what-it-means-and-how-to-use-it

or look on adverts.ie usb otg cable

http://www.adverts.ie/cables/micro-usb-host-mode-otg-cable-for-smartphones-and-tablets/2029258

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

boombang wrote: »
    I recently bought a cheap Linx 7 (£40) and I want to be able to access and edit the files on it through a desktop PC. I want to do this through a cable (I have my reasons, I don't want to make a home network, use the cloud, bluetooth etc). So think I need a host to host USB cable (micro on one end, "normal" on the other). However, these seem very difficult to find. Also, I've seen some information that these need to be "bridged" to allow data to flow between the two PCs. Anybody have a good idea of where to find such a product at an affordable price?

Thanks in advance

Did the table not come with the required USB cable?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

No no no, don't go near host to host over USB (or IP over USB).

The linx supports USB OTG but it doesnt say if it supports being a USB client. If you connect it with a regular microUSB cable does windows not see it as a Media Device in "ThisPC"/"My Computer".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

riclad wrote: »

Thanks guys.

Sorry, should have clarified, the Linx is running Windows 10, so I'm trying to connect two machines that are by default hosts. While it might seem naive, I thought it might be possible to configure the Linx to work as the client (temporarily) to the desktop host.

It's because both machines are hosts that I cannot use the USB cables that came with the tablet to connect to my PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I haven't looked at this since Vista, but it didn't work well then and I doubt Microsoft have done anything about it since then.

Network makes the most sense by a longshot, I can't understand why you would try avoid it for a convoluted set-up.

• Advertisement

You could use dropbox to transfer the files to the pc edit them,
    and then send the files back to the tablet.
    or even ms online storage .
    https://onedrive.live.com/about/en-ie/
    or google drive online storage.
    There,s at least 1gig free with any gmail account .
    I have 2gig free space on dropbox .

riclad wrote: »
    You could use dropbox to transfer the files.

For various reasons I want to avoid using cloud services. This is partly due to the difficulty of getting Wifi at the particular workstation I want to use.

Essentially I want to be able to use the Linx as a glorified USB key. I'm amazed that this is so difficult.

The best I've found so far is this from Maplin. Maybe I'm not going to do any better. The cord is s bit long for my liking.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/usb-pc-link-cable-a-male-to-a-male-tf06g

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

boombang wrote: »
    Essentially I want to be able to use the Linx as a glorified USB key. I'm amazed that this is so difficult.

Are you saying that if you connect the Linx to a PC/Laptop using a bog standard USB to micro-USB cable, that it won't allow you access the tablet as a removable drive? I've only used Android devices and it's literally plug and play. Is Windows mobile OS that locked down?

Maybe use dropbox to copy files to your phone,
    copy files to phone sdcard card.
    use sdcard reader to copy files to pc.
    At least til you find a cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Some microUSB cables are for charging only, and have no data wires.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

mordeith wrote: »
    Are you saying that if you connect the Linx to a PC/Laptop using a bog standard USB to micro-USB cable, that it won't allow you access the tablet as a removable drive? I've only used Android devices and it's literally plug and play. Is Windows mobile OS that locked down?

Normally handsets that have OTG use a port larger than regular MicroUSB in order to have different pins for "Host mode" and "Client Mode". The linx doesnt have such a port, so it may only work as a host.

Having a look it seems W10 has no feature to share a mountpoint over MTP with a host and act as a client (what Android phones do). So what you want to cannot be done OP.

If wireless really isnt an option then the only other solution is to get a USB OTG cable for the Linx, then connect a USB key into that, edit copy, remove it and place it in the tower, edit/copy and vice versa.

ED E wrote: »
    Having a look it seems W10 has no feature to share a mountpoint over MTP with a host and act as a client (what Android phones do). So what you want to cannot be done OP.

Thanks, this is the sort of definitive advice I was hoping for regarding this problem, even if it's disappointing to hear. I do find it strange that MS haven't given the client functionality that my Android phone offers.

Thanks for all the help everybody.

I got a usb to ethernet Cable 4inch long, for my android tablet, You could
    set up a shared folder on both windows devices .
    And send the files over the network thru ethernet without using wireless .
    OR copy files to a sdcard,
    i got an sdcard reader in dealz shop 1.euro.50centz

I got a better card reader in power city , trust branded usb card reader 10 euro.it has full size usb connector .
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/share-files-in-file-explorer#v1h=tab01

My tablet has a full size usb port .

Advertisement