Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mallow 10 Mile Road Race Sunday 20/03/2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

Think I entered in Dec last year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭overthebridge

There's a car load of us coming down from Limerick for this.
    This for me is the best 10 miler out of the original Munster series.
    Well organised. Fast course. Good feed at the finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

Can't make Ballycotten this year so I've opted for Mallow. Heard mainly good things and am very much looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Triangla

Just heard this was called off 3 or 4 miles in.

Multi vehicle collision involving a horse box too, one fatality and horse dead too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Very sad news this evening, the truck driver involved in the crash passed away. It's a shame the race was cancelled but it's small fry in the scheme of things. This was my first time running it and have to say the organisation was spot on from the small portion we got to run. Start was well organised and it started bang on time which is a bugbear of mine when starts are delayed. Hopefully it can be rescheduled. RIP to the man involved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

Doesn't bear thinking about what would have happened if it was ten mins later as there would have a crowd of runners (including me) going right along there. The group I was running with had almost arrived at the scene when the cancel notice went out, must say it looked like carnage. Absolutely the correct decision by Mallow AC & the Gardai to immediately call a halt.

RIP to the driver of the truck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Absolutely Opus, it's terrible sad, but it could have been an absolute catastrophe. Hope all the other people injured will be ok.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Heard it had been called off but didn't realise the race had started. How very tragic.
    RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Heard it had been called off but didn't realise the race had started. How very tragic.
    RIP

From what I heard the lead runners where one of the first on the scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭gilleek2

ger664 wrote: »
    From what I heard the lead runners where one of the first on the scene.

There were people already on the bridge spectating some of whom came running down the sliproad shouting for an ambulance. Lead runners were probably still 5/600 metres short of it when I heard the crash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

This is incredibly sad, I was so sorry to hear it. RIP to that poor gent and condolences to his family and friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭psychozeb

Statement regarding cancelled race:

https://mallowtenmile.wordpress.com

Advertisement