Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Siemens SPC Installation

• 23-02-2016 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi,

I am about to buy a new SPC alarm system. First of all a big thank you for all the great information on this forum, it helped hugely in narrowing down the options for me! Now for what I am sure is a stupid question but I'll ask anyway. Is there any reason why I couldn't wall mount the panel (4320) on it's side? In case you're wondering I ask because it's to replace an existing alarm but where all the wiring currently is there is not enough space to mount it the "normal" way up. Only thing I could think of was that the battery would be on it's side...

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Hi,
    Cant visualise it but the battery is sealed, safe to consider will work in any physical position.
    Enjoy it

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

It will work ok.
    Careful with the battery when opening & closing the panel though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭Jnealon

As mentioned already secure the battery in place so it doesn't fall out.
    If it falls out when you open it you will likely damage the board

• Registered Users Posts: 21 givryvin

Thanks everyone. One more thought, if I get the SiWay RF-Kit is the orientation of the panel therefore also the antenna going to effect the range / signal for wireless devices?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,752 ✭✭✭✭altor

givryvin wrote: »
    Thanks everyone. One more thought, if I get the SiWay RF-Kit is the orientation of the panel therefore also the antenna going to effect the range / signal for wireless devices?

Should have no effect.

• Advertisement

Another option I have that would not be too painful to do is put the new control panel in the airing cupboard but my assumption was that this isn't a great place for it?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Another option I have that would not be too painful to do is put the new control panel in the airing cupboard but my assumption was that this isn't a great place for it?

Why not just outside it?

Same problem - to keep in hallway (rather than in bedrooms) there is not enough wall either side of the door for it to fit! Could go above the door but only on it's side ;-)

Is it an actual hot press with immersion & controls etc?
    Technically they say no but there has been a lot of confusion re the standards in the past.
    Over the years I've come across lots of equipment in hop press etc. Never once had an issue.

Hi,

I have finally got around to getting the alarm. All going well with the install until I tried to get SPC connect setup. I followed the installation instructions and got as far as "Add SPC Connect" in FlexC section but the ATP doesn't seem to connect. In the log I get the following errors repeating and the status just says 'Fault'.

02/04/16 09:51:35: Poll transmission timeout. Poll failed!
    02/04/16 09:51:05: DNS Resolve IP Address Error

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

• Advertisement

Can you connect to the panel on the local network?

Yes, works fine on local network and can access the web browser.

And what's the network settings in communications?
    Are you using manual addressing or DHCP?

I've tried both but neither work...

In Communications what are the following settings?
    IP Address
    Subnet Mask
    Gateway
    DNS server

IP Address: 192.168.1.100
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Gateway: 172.16.12.162
    DNS Server: 213.120.234.54

Is that with DHCP off or on?
    Where are you getting the gateway address from?

That was with it switched off and me messing with the values!!

I have turned DHCP back on and done a system restart. I know have the following values:
    IP Address: 192.168.1.100
    Netmask: 255.255.255.0
    Gateway: 0.0.0.0

Interestingly I can't see a value for DNS server anymore however when I check the logs I am now getting what looks like a more positive message of "DNS Resolve IP Address OK". But I still get the "TCP connection timeout" repeating afterwards...

It's like your router is not assigning a DHCP address.
    Try restarting the panel and then restarting the router.
    Is the panel hardwired to the router?

Ok, good news. It is all up and running! I think you were right that it had got itself in a mess on the local network. I basically removed / reset all the network and SPC connect settings, restarted the router too and then set them up again (with DHCP enabled) and it magically connected.

Thanks for your help and quick responses, much appreciated.

• Advertisement

Your welcome. If you need any help give me a shout.

I have another one for you. If wiring a keypad directly to the panel, am I right in thinking I make the connections as below and leave the other connections unused?

Panel 1A -> Keypad 2A
    Panel 1B -> Keypad 2B
    12V -> 12V
    0V -> 0V

Thanks

Direct connection can go 1a-1a 1b-1b
    The 2s are used for looping.

I have the 521 keypad. When in unset mode it intermitently flashes up "engineer enable" at the bottom of the display. What does this mean? Is there a way to stop it?

Its telling you that engineer access has been enabled and the user does not have to grant access. You can revoke the permission in the user menu or if its not enabled set grade as unrestricted in variables.

Hi,

As you will probably have worked out I am really dragging out this install! Slowly building it up, playing and testing it as I go. Todays experiment was a wireless PIR (siemens) and no doubt I am just doing something stupid. On the web interface it is registered and reporting as having no faults etc. When I get it in 'walk test' mode it flashes at me and is sensing fine but after a minute or so it just stops sensing anything. No LEDs flash but web interface continues to say it is there and working fine. Any idea what I've done wrong?

Cheers

The device goes to sleep.
    Leave it without any movement for 90-120 seconds and it will then activate on the next movement.

Okay, now you say that I can kind of see that behaviour happening. My doubt is that surely it should be "fully alert" when the alarm is set? So:

Test 1: I armed the alarm and walked around the room but it wasn't triggered. Left and came back approx 1 min later and then it successfully triggered alarm.

Test 2: Reset it and re-armed the alarm and now the sensor is not triggering at all...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Okay, now you say that I can kind of see that behaviour happening. My doubt is that surely it should be "fully alert" when the alarm is set? So:

Test 1: I armed the alarm and walked around the room but it wasn't triggered. Left and came back approx 1 min later and then it successfully triggered alarm.

Test 2: Reset it and re-armed the alarm and now the sensor is not triggering at all...

It will only send a transmission every couple of minutes regardless of the state of the alarm. They're one way devices that only transmit to the receiver and have no way of knowing if the alarm is set it not. By the sounds of it it's working fine.

• Advertisement

Interesting, I was expecting it to be more responsive than that. Although to be fair to it; it does appear from running a couple more tests that if you give the system a minute or 2 after arming the alarm then when you walk past a sensor you do get an almost immediate alarm.

Advertisement