Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

piking in cavan

• 24-02-2016 1:33am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭

Ive been up to cavan 3 times in the last two weeks, and im having no luck getting pike, ive fished 4 lakes around virginia and bailiboro and all ive managed is a 2lb pike. im hoping to get up next week and id like to know does anyone have any local knowledge about where to fish because ive heard a lot of places have been hit hard by poachers and i dont wanna waste a day on a water thats been cleaned out, I know the craic about naming waters online so a pm who be highly appreciated.. thanks!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Reedsie

If you listen to enough people you'll find that every lake has been cleaned out. Truth is it's extremely difficult to 'clean out' a lake. Blanks are unavoidable unfortunately, even on the best of waters. Plus many anglers claim that it's on those quieter lakes that you might bump into a big one!
    Four waters in three visits? I'd pick your preferred one and head up early. Try a few different tactics and move around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Whosthis

I don't fish whatsoever, have a few friends that are into it. I remember one of them telling be about pike being cleaned out all-over Ireland by the Polish. Apparently they're mad for the things, never tried it myself, don't think I've ever even seen it for sale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

Reedsie wrote: »
    If you listen to enough people you'll find that every lake has been cleaned out. Truth is it's extremely difficult to 'clean out' a lake. Blanks are unavoidable unfortunately, even on the best of waters. Plus many anglers claim that it's on those quieter lakes that you might bump into a big one!
    Four waters in three visits? I'd pick your preferred one and head up early. Try a few different tactics and move around.

I know too well about blanks!! ye i normally fishin different methods anyway when fishin a new lake and move swim every hour or so tryin to cover more ground and still nothin, i was jus lookin to see if anyone knows somewhere where theres still a few pike knockin about instead fishin a lake thats been poached..

They've probably all been poached to at least some extent but they'll be alright. IFI have been trying their very best to clear lakes of pike for many, many years and have failed so it would be a tough task for a few of dodgy lads looking for dinner.

Like I said I've no angling knowledge whatsoever, only repeating what I've heard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

Reedsie wrote: »
    They've probably all been poached to at least some extent but they'll be alright. IFI have been trying their very best to clear lakes of pike for many, many years and have failed so it would be a tough task for a few of dodgy lads looking for dinner.

you'd be very naive to think its jus a few dodgy lads takin the odd pike for dinner, as for the IFI dont get me started on them they're a waste of space, there is a few good people in there, but as an organisation the people in charge couldnt give **** about coarse angling.. i wouldnt let them run a bath never mind being in charge of angling in this country!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 683 ✭✭✭gumbo1

As Reedsie said, pick 1 lake and cover every inch of bank. 2 rods, 1 out far 1 in close. Give it about 3 hours in a particular swim, recasting only once on each rod to near enough the same spot. When you move don't go too far, the scent is still in the area and will be hard to rescent a new swim. Cover the ground in a few trips don't expect to do it I 1 day.
    This tactic has worked for me and a friend of mine. Don't be discouraged by blanks it just make the days you do catch all the more worthwhile and memorable. Tight lines!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

Don't worry about blanks, they happen to everyone. I actually blanked on my last 3 sessions.
    Don't believe the all poaching stories, people seem to forget that fish reproduce. The peak of the poaching was probably 7-8 years ago, enough time for a pike to have been born and grow to 20lb (depending on the venue of course ;) ). Apparently my local river was "wiped out", and I've heard loads of people say how they wont fish it any more. The fish finder on my boat tells a different story though!

I have never actually fished in Cavan, however my approach would be to try and find a lake that is not mentioned on the IFI site, or that has very easy access, i.e. a car park. If a place is pressured, it will not fish well.

http://fishinginireland.info/news/pike-reports/nice-18lb-6oz-monaghan-pike-for-david-cunningham/
    ...In the Cavan area pike fishing has been difficult on Lough Ramor but a couple of nice fish have been taken recently according to Peter. A 19lb fish was taken in the Virginia are on Saturday last on a dead bait and a number of anglers fishing on one of the islands had a tough 3 days with no pike taken. The lads a quite a few dropped runs but no pike. The only fish they landed was a 7lb trout which took not one but two of the ledgered deadbaits. The fish was released to the water after being unhooked and resuscitated.
    On the water yesterday morning three lads fishing from an inflatable had one reasonable sized pike but fishing was very tough indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Whosthis wrote: »
    I don't fish whatsoever, have a few friends that are into it. I remember one of them telling be about pike being cleaned out all-over Ireland by the Polish. Apparently they're mad for the things, never tried it myself, don't think I've ever even seen it for sale.

Mod. Please see here. Further posts along these lines will be a ban.

• Advertisement

An apology to anybody that took any offence to my earlier post. I've been accused of being racist and certainly wasn't my intention.

I posted without reading the charter or stickied thread.

My post was simply recounting a story. There was no anti-Polish sentiment or racism intended.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭EastTyrone

theres a man on facebook called boarder fishing guides, he is based in that cavan, fermanagh part of the country and he seems to be catching a large number of fish, including many 30+lbers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 791 ✭✭✭fiacha

I've always been a fan of wobbling for learning a new water.

You can cover a lot of water in a session with a bag of roach or smelt and a small pack to carry gear.

It won't tell you everything but you'll get a good idea of what areas hold fish, what depths they are at etc. Even picking up a few small pike this way can keep your confidence high which I think is important for keeping you going through those blank sessions we all suffer.

Advertisement