Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New build and proximity of trees to property

Options
  • 24-02-2016 9:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I am at the snagging phase on a property in Parkside, Balgriffen. There are 3 tree's (I believe they are ash tree's) in very close proximity to the house.

- One is no more than two feet from the kitchen window
    - One is about 3 feet from the back garden side wall, which is about 10 feet from the house
    - and the final one is about 10 feet from the front of the house.

Should I be concerned ? I am thinking of asking the builder to remove these but then I am thinking surely they would not have planted tree's that will cause issues down the line??

All advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,519 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Are they actually in your own garden (I wasn't sure from your post, sorry)? If not, they are not really an issue with the snagging in my view, as they are not part of your property but owned by the management company as such. It would be the kind of issue that if it became a problem down the line you would take up with the management company about to get them trimmed back etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Gaz

Are they actually in your own garden (I wasn't sure from your post, sorry)? If not, they are not really an issue with the snagging in my view, as they are not part of your property but owned by the management company as such. It would be the kind of issue that if it became a problem down the line you would take up with the management company about to get them trimmed back etc.

Sorry I should have been clearer, they are on my property, in the front and side "garden".

Im more worried about growth underground than above.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Ash trees grow like weeds. Seeds strike very readily.

Are we talking about mature trees or saplings?

Ash trees grow like weeds. Seeds strike very readily.

Are we talking about mature trees or saplings?

The entire estate is new, the trees are young and about 15th tall.
    I was just surprised how close they are to the properties. Maybe they are not Ash trees (Im not very green fingered :o)

You can see the trees and their proximity to the house on page 5 of the brochure
    http://parksidehomes.ie/wp-content/themes/Parkside/Parkside-Designed-For-Living.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Butters1979

Ash trees grow huge, and everything you see above ground, you have a similar size underground.

3 feet from anything would be touching it in 2 years. 2 foot from the kitchen window is way to close and would block your light. I've seen situations (once in a house I was renting) where trees have been allowed to grow close too walls and have literally pushed the wall over. I'd get rid. There's not upside to keeping them. When you move in, live there a while and if you decide you want a tree then plant one yourself wherever you want it.

Gaz wrote: »

I am thinking surely they would not have planted tree's that will cause issues down the line??

Ha. You sure about that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Gaz wrote: »
    You can see the trees and their proximity to the house on page 5 of the brochure
    http://parksidehomes.ie/wp-content/themes/Parkside/Parkside-Designed-For-Living.pdf
    I think they are Silver Birch, and it looks as if they have been planted there deliberately.

I would share your concern, particularly about a tree planted only a couple of feet from the house. The others might be okay, but I think you need to talk to somebody who knows about trees.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Those trees are far too close. They will undermine the foundation and potentially cause damage in strong winds. At the very least once they grow a bit in a few years they will have your window out in minutes in a gale.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,054 ✭✭✭✭elperello

They are birch and definitely too close to the house.
    Pity because they are nice trees in the right location.
    They are probably recently planted and could be moved now before they get established.
    One problem with birch is that they self prune in high winds, ie. bits of twigs blow off and lodge in gutters etc.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Remove the trees.

Thanks all ... as I thought. Builder has agreed to remove them as part of the snag.

• Advertisement
Advertisement