Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Albert Quay Development - (O'Callaghan)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭blindsider

Looks very impressive. Article says its x4 times bigger than 1 Albert Quay!

As ever, we'll save the celebrations until they break ground, but it looks great!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,580 ✭✭✭cgcsb

3,000 staff, 300 parking spaces and 200 bike spaces.

That's just not right. The assumption being that 10% will drive, 7% will cycle their own bikes and 83% will be some mix of the Bus and Cork bikes.

There needs to be way more bike spaces for a start and enough car parking for 10% of the staff is way too high and will attract more cars into the City.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

Only realised how big that proposal is when I spotted the Idle Hour in the corner! Will be surprised if it get the go-ahead on that scale but great for the city centre though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Looks impressive.
    With this development and all the others there a serious need for two other critical developments...accomodation for all the workers required and serious public transport investment..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Will he also start the development on Andersons Quay I wonder?.Article here last year said he wants to do Albert quay and Andersons quay.
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/rejected-centre-site-set-for-hi-tech-offices-305768.html

Plans here.
    http://www.wilsonarchitecture.ie/en-us/projects/commercial/andersonsquay.aspx

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

Will he also start the development on Andersons Quay I wonder?.Article here last year said he wants to do Albert quay and Andersons quay.
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/rejected-centre-site-set-for-hi-tech-offices-305768.html

Plans here.
    http://www.wilsonarchitecture.ie/en-us/projects/commercial/andersonsquay.aspx

I saw ads on daft for commercial space in the andersons quay building, so it certainly looks like it will start at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Looks impressive.
    With this development and all the others there a serious need for two other critical developments...accomodation for all the workers required and serious public transport investment..

I'd add to that two things...

1. Needs more car parking. Yes, I know this is bring more cars into the city but aside from an investment in public transport on a scale never before seen in the country you are not going to be able to cater for all those travelling from commuter areas. People will want to drive and park at work. If there's not enough spaces, they will spill over onto street parking which would be a disaster.

2. The road infrastructure around the city needs to be addressed (even before taking these 3,000 extra new jobs into account. It needs to be easier to get in/out of the city (particularly from the south ring road) and bottleneck areas need to be resolved.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,270 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

+1 to those talking about more bottle-necks. With all the narrow roads, one-way streets, bridges and the complete lack of a northern orbital dual carriageway the city is currently not well suited for rapid expansion. Some difficult choices will have to be made in the future or the city's going to grind to a stand-still.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭ofcork

On the examiner the redevelopment of the old brooks haughton site on south terrace is going ahead too.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭deecee1

I lived in the street behind the new proposed office blocks by O'Callaghan properties, while i welcome development in this side of the city, I really hope they think long and hard about parking and traffic. The parking was really bad on match days in Pairc O'Caoimh. People just dumping there cars any which way, which meant some of us could not get out or in off our little square. Far enough its public street parking but it's the illegally parking that would drive us nuts. God forbid there was an actual emergency at those times because there was no way an ambulance let alone a fire birgade was getting in. So when there's 3000 people working a stones throw away i'd hate to see what the situation would be like. On another note they'll have to sort out the junction between albert street and albert road. It takes forever because coming from albert road onto albert street especially if heading towards the northside. People are constantly blocking the yellow boxes etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

deecee1 wrote: »
    I lived in the street behind the new proposed office blocks by O'Callaghan properties, while i welcome development in this side of the city, I really hope they think long and hard about parking and traffic. The parking was really bad on match days in Pairc O'Caoimh. People just dumping there cars any which way, which meant some of us could not get out or in off our little square. Far enough its public street parking but it's the illegally parking that would drive us nuts. God forbid there was an actual emergency at those times because there was no way an ambulance let alone a fire birgade was getting in. So when there's 3000 people working a stones throw away i'd hate to see what the situation would be like. On another note they'll have to sort out the junction between albert street and albert road. It takes forever because coming from albert road onto albert street especially if heading towards the northside. People are constantly blocking the yellow boxes etc.

There is a big difference between traffic control for a match and traffic control for an office block, I don't think you need to worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭BUNK1982

It looks like a great development, much better use of the space rather than the events centre that had been tendered for at the location (but we won't go over that again :)). It's a cool part of the city down around there.

There are definitely legitimate concerns about traffic and parking but all going well this will prove to be a catalyst for some serious investment in the transport infrastructure. Our public authorities are always reactionary so they won't deal with something unless there's a problem.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 80 ✭✭28srf0c

You can't fit 300 cars onto that street even without that development being there. Twil cause havoc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭ofcork

I see they are talking about partial demolition of navigation house is that not protected,although looking at the pic it looks like they are keeping the front.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

All systems go for the development according to the Echo. 3000 extra workers should make a big difference for the businesses in that area.

WORK ON LARGEST DEVELOPMENT IN CORK COULD BEGIN IN MONTHS

Will it be finished before the events centre ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Bacchus wrote: »
    Looks impressive.

I'd add to that two things...

1. Needs more car parking. Yes, I know this is bring more cars into the city but aside from an investment in public transport on a scale never before seen in the country you are not going to be able to cater for all those travelling from commuter areas. People will want to drive and park at work. If there's not enough spaces, they will spill over onto street parking which would be a disaster.

It's probably whats needed. I take it any suggestion of a Cork version of the LUAS would get laughed out of the dail?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭farmerjj

Is it going on the block where the sextant bar/Carey,s tool hire are?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

I think from what i saw of the plans they will be left alone, not sure how long it will last.. Am i the only person who thinks tis going to be a nightmare... The way the road system is there they will have to adjust all that traffic going in there is going to be a nightmare. A tram system would be great but in fairness tis the Cork Council so they are bound to feck that up.. they are going to fill the places with most of the companies that are now based in Mahon Point so Mahon Point will suffer a downfall.. They are ruining the City in my eyes

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

why would anyone consider a LUAS type system for Cork when the bus services are so underutilised? Make the bus service more attractive to users first.

very true they just need them running to a tee.. Mind they arent bad around the city but on the outskirts they arent great

• Advertisement

why would anyone consider a LUAS type system for Cork when the bus services are so underutilised? Make the bus service more attractive to users first.

Are you saying a Luas service in Cork wouldn't be used?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

snotboogie wrote: »

I'm saying why spend a fortune on new infrastructure when we have buses etc that are under-used. Why not get more use of the existing assets instead of taking on huge debt for a new mode of transport?

Are you suggestion that they should use what they have already and spend half the amount of money perhaps making it better! Oh dear sure that makes no sense... Joke of course it is a really shame

I don't get why better use isn't made out of the south link and Leitrim Street. Arterial roads that are plenty wide enough to support high quality bus lanes along their entire length with a high frequency service and park 'n' ride facilities. Make Patrick St bus only and you're on the way to a high quality bus based service. Then add in more quality bus lanes on other routes where possible, add traffic light priority and increase the service frequency. Before you know it modal shift occurs, then you start removing the god awful quayside parking and reclaim the waterfront for people. This is a tried and tested recipe the world over and the costs are comparatively tiny, but nobody seems to want to bloody do it.

I'm saying why spend a fortune on new infrastructure when we have buses etc that are under-used. Why not get more use of the existing assets instead of taking on huge debt for a new mode of transport?

People don't use our bus service because it is unreliable and doesn't circumvent traffic, both of these issues would be solved by a tram service. How would you make our bus service better?

Not saying a tram would not work but still Cork is small it doesnt need a new tram service. Get the bus's running properly and it would be a winner, even have small shuttle bus's for shorter commutes

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

The buses are sh1t and unreliable, and get stuck in traffic. Journey always takes longer, and a bigger danger of priority given to cars in future, by reducing bus lanes or eliminating them on streets. Sure,a good bus service would be great, but a Star Trek like teleportation device would also be great. I'm sure I'll see neither in my lifetime though.

People don't use our bus service because it is unreliable and doesn't circumvent traffic, both of these issues would be solved by a tram service. How would you make our bus service better?

tram services are better because of segregation and higher capacity vehicles, if Cork is unable/unwilling to provide segregation for buses, how would you propose it provide segregation for trams?

Milly33 wrote: »
    Not saying a tram would not work but still Cork is small it doesnt need a new tram service. Get the bus's running properly and it would be a winner, even have small shuttle bus's for shorter commutes

Cork is one of Europe's largest tramless cities.

• Advertisement

Thats because it is so small in fairness and why should it follow suit..

Advertisement