Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Albert Quay Development - (O'Callaghan)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

cgcsb wrote: »
    Cork is one of Europe's largest tramless cities.

Where on earth do you get that idea from? Cork is tiny as a city for a start, lots of similar size European cities have no trams.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,580 ✭✭✭cgcsb

In the UK you have Cardiff, Leeds, Bristol and Belfast all larger Cities with no metro or light rail. Although each of these cities have planned such a system, at least provisionally in the past but had those plans defeated by political wrangling and budgetary constraints. In the rest of Europe I'm not sure, you have Reykjavik(is that bigger than Cork?). Palermo is one anyway. I'm struggling to think of any continental west European Cities of Corks size lacking such a system. Perhaps you have some examples?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Nukem

why would anyone consider a LUAS type system for Cork when the bus services are so underutilised? Make the bus service more attractive to users first.

Park and ride from the black ash stops on the opposite quay so that would do a lot for parking. But don't know if the kinsale roundabout and link could handle another 1-2000 cars per day.

Would a park and ride system be better served from somewhere like little island train station area and have a bus/train link to the city stopping on penrose wharf?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,315 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Where are these 3,000 workers all going to live, I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭snotboogie

snotboogie wrote: »
    People don't use our bus service because it is unreliable and doesn't circumvent traffic, both of these issues would be solved by a tram service. How would you make our bus service better?

tram services are better because of segregation and higher capacity vehicles, if Cork is unable/unwilling to provide segregation for buses, how would you propose it provide segregation for trams?

Because buses can operate without segregation, much easier to kick the can down the road if you are 100% behind that method of public transport as the sole provider for the city.

There are plenty of cities much smaller than Cork (even taking the ridiculously conservative number for Cork City of 125,000) that are far less important to their countries economies (Cork generates about 15% of Ireland's GDP) that have decent tram networks; Rouen (pop 111k), Orleans (pop 114K), Besancon (pop 116K), Mulhouse (pop 112K), Nancy (105k), Zoetermeer (pop 123K), Liberec (pop 102K), Mestre (pop 89k), Zwickau (pop 91K), Ulm (120K) and so on and so on.

If you took the actual figure of 200k-250K, most cities in Europe of our size have a tram system and almost all cities that are as important to their country as we are

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

If Cork gets a light rail system, prepare yourself for numerous incidents of cars, breaking red lights, being stuck on lines

• Registered Users Posts: 16,315 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

D'Agger wrote: »
    If Cork gets a light rail system, prepare yourself for numerous incidents of cars, breaking red lights, being stuck on lines

A pretty big 'if', I think you'll be safe enough.

A pretty big 'if', I think you'll be safe enough.
    We'll be safe enough you mean, it's not just me I'd be worried for :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,580 ✭✭✭cgcsb

A girl was killed in Dublin because a red light breaker got hit by a tram, spun out and pinned her up to the wall. DCC is now spending big bucks installing a cameras and automatically issuing fines to the license plates of offenders. There is no accounting for the Irish driver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

There is no accounting for the Irish driver.
    What a load of crap.

• Advertisement

The joys of the rat race :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭DylanGLC

Does anyone have any update on these (Navigation Square and Anderson's Quay)? One Albert Quay looks great and seems to be a big success so I hope these can go ahead, the city needs them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭MrDerp

To be fair there is unlikely to be 3000 net new jobs. One one albert quay, tyco pwc and Arup moved from other offices, and presumably more did too. Tyco admittedly were expanding and I'm sure plenty of people are moving to cork for work but that's not 3000 new families by any stretch.

Office space needs to be continuously replenished and I'm sure there's an appetite to move into these when they're done. It may enable a new employer to create jobs sure.

But I agree generally, we seriously need to get going on Monard if we're to move more workers into the city centre, it's the perfect growth area, it'll have train links and Kent station will be turned to face a revamped docklands

DylanGLC wrote: »
    Does anyone have any update on these (Navigation Square and Anderson's Quay)? One Albert Quay looks great and seems to be a big success so I hope these can go ahead, the city needs them :)

http://cspwprdfe.cloudapp.net/casenum/247363.htm

Appeal is due to be decided upon by April 12th. Mainly objected to by Carey's tool hire on the grounds of height and something about affecting their ability to develop their own site

MrDerp wrote: »
    http://cspwprdfe.cloudapp.net/casenum/247363.htm

Appeal is due to be decided upon by April 12th. Mainly objected to by Carey's tool hire on the grounds of height and something about affecting their ability to develop their own site
    Thanks for the link! That site says that the Carey appeal has been "withdrawn", though? I assume the Mulcahy's are the people are appealing it. I really hope it goes ahead :/

http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/247363.htm
    Decision: Case has been decided, details will not be available before 24-Mar-2017

Praying it goes ahead

Aaaandd it changed back to April 12th decison

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

Aaaandd it changed back to April 12th decison
    Well, according to that link, all of the third party objectors have withdrawn the appeals; the only objector now is the applicant who probably appealed the conditions....if they withdraw theirs, they have a full grant.

mire wrote: »
    Well, according to that link, all of the third party objectors have withdrawn the appeals; the only objector now is the applicant who probably appealed the conditions....if they withdraw theirs, they have a full grant.
    Sorry, I probably sound like an idiot but I'm not very clear on the planning permission/appeals terminology. I Googled Appoville Ltd and they are the people who applied for planning permission. They are now the only ones listed as not withdrawn (other than the invited party) so the only one active in the entire appeal are the people who are building it? Do you mean that Appoville Ltd are appealing in order to change some of the original plans or they were just appealing the appeal by third parties (Careys, etc) who didn't want it to be built? Sorry again if these sound like stupid/basic questions but I'm very unfamiliar with the whole thing

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

It would mean the applicant is appealing to An Bord Pleanala some of the conditions Cork city council would have laid down.

• Advertisement

cspwprdfe.cloudapp.net/casenum/247363.htm

Updated to "Decision: Appeal withdrawn S.140(1)(a)". I'm assuming this means they now have the full okay to start construction? If so, hopefully it is soon and along with the new office development on South Mall

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

cspwprdfe.cloudapp.net/casenum/247363.htm

Updated to "Decision: Appeal withdrawn S.140(1)(a)". I'm assuming this means they now have the full okay to start construction? If so, hopefully it is soon and along with the new office development on South Mall

Yip

Good to see more office space coming to the city and in particular, that side of the city developed further.

Are there any potential apartments coming along to supplement the workforce in the city?

Good to see more office space coming to the city and in particular, that side of the city developed further.

Are there any potential apartments coming along to supplement the workforce in the city?

Student Accomdation by River Lee Hotel and the eventual Brewery Quarter student apartments will hopefully free up houses in the city. They should go into the planned Docklands with great intentions and just go ahead and build a 20 storey (or maybe 25 to beat Capitol Dock) right away on the Docklands to house the new employees coming now and ones which will come eventually when the Docklands continue to grow over the next few months and years. That would be great, eh? :P People would love it!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Why are they keeping that long shed (with greed doors) between the buildings? Is it somehow protected??

mainMediaSize=537x291_type=image_publish=true_x0=0_y0=12.35_x1=100_y1=96.3_format=1.7777777777777777__image.jpg

grogi wrote: »
    Why are they keeping that long shed (with greed doors) between the buildings? Is it somehow protected??

Nope it's actually one half of two of them, which they probably didn't manage to buy out when assembling the site. The owners of this shed were the last objectors, so this will either be kept with random use, or have been bought out now.

Personally I like it in the drawings, nice to keep some old stone around new buildings and it could be a throwback to the former site use

I wonder if it has been bought out, will the left hand building at the front be extended or if they'll just add a wall/fence with a tree to prevent people from going down there. I wouldn't mind it remaining though if it is put to use, it looks nice in the build and compliments the large door on the main building (which looks great, in my opinion)

Also - should the title of the thread be changed to include Navigation Square now that the project is starting and has a name?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

I wonder if it has been bought out, will the left hand building at the front be extended

That would be a huge modification to the project...
    or if they'll just add a wall/fence with a tree to prevent people from going down there. I wouldn't mind it remaining though if it is put to use, it looks nice in the build and compliments the large door on the main building (which looks great, in my opinion)

Why stop people? Make it green (although it might be a bit too dark for the vegetation to survive) and let people use it...

• Advertisement

grogi wrote: »
    Why stop people? Make it green (although it might be a bit too dark for the vegetation to survive) and let people use it...
    I didn't see in the similar lanes in the renders that they just have a tree at the front and people can access it. I thought that you could only access the site through the main building's entrance, but I guess not (which, seeing it now, seems a lot better)

https://fora.ie/biggest-office-cork-albert-quay-3312834-Mar2017/?utm_source=more
    "Developer Brian O’Callaghan said that the new office development will be geared towards ”large-scale multinational and indigenous investment projects”."
    It will be interesting to see if they will include companies new to Cork, or if they will consist mostly of already existing companies who move to bigger offices (similar to PWC and One Albert Quay)

Advertisement