Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Albert Quay Development - (O'Callaghan)

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

What is the betting that this will be completed before The Event Centre?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭zetalambda

All objections have been withdrawn clearing the way for construction which is due to start in the summer.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/90m-office-block-navigation-square-clears-objections-in-cork-446462.html

gallery-navigationsquare-aerial-thumb.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

I assume they have to have some tenants lined up already, you wouldn't build something like that on spec!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭blindsider

A few Brexit-conscious banks and the like I'm sure.

Will be great to see it started!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭fiload

Would be ideal for a company in finance with so many business graduates from Ucc each year, new business school, lower cost than Dublin and lower staff turnover

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭DylanGLC

I just hope it is a new multinational business rather than one relocating from another Cork obvious (at least for Building A, anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭BUNK1982

DylanGLC wrote: »
    I just hope it is a new multinational business rather than one relocating from another Cork obvious (at least for Building A, anyway)

I wouldn't be too worried companies relocating within Cork, the more of these large employers that cluster together the better it is for business in the city as a whole. Would also mean more investment in infrastructure and public transport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

fiload wrote: »
    Would be ideal for a company in finance with so many business graduates from Ucc each year, new business school, lower cost than Dublin and lower staff turnover

Just no housing for them!

(and I wouldnt be counting on the tenements in College road to fill the gap as some have suggested on here)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,292 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

BUNK1982 wrote: »
    I wouldn't be too worried companies relocating within Cork, the more of these large employers that cluster together the better it is for business in the city as a whole. Would also mean more investment in infrastructure and public transport.

I wouldn't be so sure about it bringing investment into infrastructure and public transport. We have some of the largest pharma companies in the world clustered in Ringaskiddy, yet the upgrade to the N28 has been talked about for a very long time and is still years away.

It was noted on the site/articles that it may be just one tenant who takes the whole thing, but I can't imagine a new company bringing 3,000 people straight to Cork, in two five storey buildings, a four storey and a seven storey. It would be great if some of the Dublin companies might look to expanding down here, like Google or Twitter (seeing as Facebook/Oculus are now in The Capitol and Alter Domus are expanding their Dublin operation to Cork, as well as Apple not too far away). Maybe NGINX or KPMG will move in there. It will be interesting to see over the next couple of months, and if so many companies will be so interested in it before it is even built, like One Albert Quay. It will also be interesting to see what restaurant/coffee shop will go in there. Starbucks are all over Cork now but I can't imagine another one going in when they have one right across the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

It was noted on the site/articles that it may be just one tenant who takes the whole thing, but I can't imagine a new company bringing 3,000 people straight to Cork, in two five storey buildings, a four storey and a seven storey. It would be great if some of the Dublin companies might look to expanding down here, like Google or Twitter (seeing as Facebook/Oculus are now in The Capitol and Alter Domus are expanding their Dublin operation to Cork, as well as Apple not too far away). Maybe NGINX or KPMG will move in there. It will be interesting to see over the next couple of months, and if so many companies will be so interested in it before it is even built, like One Albert Quay. It will also be interesting to see what restaurant/coffee shop will go in there. Starbucks are all over Cork now but I can't imagine another one going in when they have one right across the road.

Just make it one giant Starbucks. 21 floors of just Starbucks across 4 buildings. The one across the road can handle the overflow in trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Bacchus wrote: »
    Just make it one giant Starbucks. 21 floors of just Starbucks across 4 buildings. The one across the road can handle the overflow in trade.
    So ridiculous I almost dropped my Starbucks

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭P.lane78

I heard cummins sports, jd sports and mahers are taking a floor each. :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

Bacchus wrote: »

urRqU8Q.jpg

Soft stripping has begun and full demolition works will begin on Monday. Construction is expected to commence in a few weeks :) Block A (seven storey main building) expected to be done for Christmas 2018. Hopefully since all the other ones are smaller (two five storeys and a four storey), they will be done by Christmas 2019. I wonder if when they are done the crane work for Block A, will they just start crane work for Block B while everything else for Block A continues, and so on to Block C when Block B is done.

I am also extremely interested to hear potential tenants. I wonder if more will follow from the South Mall like PWC over to the Docklands (maybe KPMG?) or if it will be more new people. Google offices in Cork would be very welcome.. :) However unlikely that may be

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Meursault

I assume they wont start on the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th blocks until the 1st block has been filled with tenants?

Great that it is finally starting though. A lot of old buildings around there that I will be happy to see razed to the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Patrick 1959

Anyone have new updates on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Loftus have the site almost cleared

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

kub wrote: »
    Loftus have the site almost cleared
    Also planning submitted to add another building where single storey warehouse is now

mire wrote: »
    Also planning submitted to add another building where single storey warehouse is now
    They already have permission. There is Block A, Block B, Block C and Block D (I'm sure they will become know as One Navigation Square, Two Navigation Square, etc when done). The building you are talking about is Block B. Since they now have the warehouse, they wish to extend the width of the building and add an extra storey to it. That won't affect the current building of Block A (which looks set to begin very soon, as far as I can tell demolition is done), as it seems they want start one until the one before is done, which makes sense.

I really hope the new Block B goes ahead. The current one is fine but it looks so weak and nothing looking compared to Block A. Or even compared to the rest of the Docklands on Lapp's Quay and Albert Quay. The new building proposed looks the same but it's increased size makes it look like it would be able to stand on its own (in the sense that if it was built alone it wouldn't look tiny). This is the river front. I personally think they should all be closer to 10+ stories as this is supposed to be the entrance to our new world class area of the city for business and modern living, and using The Elysian as something to strive towards rather than see as a distant cap, but six floors and a wider building is better than seven (and it would be best I guess to leave the taller stuff to further down where there are less houses, although if the 40 storey doesn't go ahead and something as tall if not taller doesn't replace the R&D Hall, I will be very disappointed)

• Advertisement

mire wrote: »
    They already have permission. There is Block A, Block B, Block C and Block D (I'm sure they will become know as One Navigation Square, Two Navigation Square, etc when done). The building you are talking about is Block B. Since they now have the warehouse, they wish to extend the width of the building and add an extra storey to it. That won't affect the current building of Block A (which looks set to begin very soon, as far as I can tell demolition is done), as it seems they want start one until the one before is done, which makes sense.

I really hope the new Block B goes ahead. The current one is fine but it looks so weak and nothing looking compared to Block A. Or even compared to the rest of the Docklands on Lapp's Quay and Albert Quay. The new building proposed looks the same but it's increased size makes it look like it would be able to stand on its own (in the sense that if it was built alone it wouldn't look tiny). This is the river front. I personally think they should all be closer to 10+ stories as this is supposed to be the entrance to our new world class area of the city for business and modern living, and using The Elysian as something to strive towards rather than see as a distant cap, but six floors and a wider building is better than seven (and it would be best I guess to leave the taller stuff to further down where there are less houses, although if the 40 storey doesn't go ahead and something as tall if not taller doesn't replace the R&D Hall, I will be very disappointed)

Sorry that's what I meant the planning application that was submitted last week will I assume increase the size of Block B and get rid of that silly single Storey Warehouse building left in the middle of the development

Had a look at the planning application And it looks much better than what was previously permitted. It would be huge improvement For some of the reasons you mentioned above. Personally, I do not think this is a good site for a tall building. I think there are better opportunities in more suitable locations along Kennedy quay, custom house point, for example.

I just like tall buildings ;D But I agree, a tall building would stick out like a sore thumb there. I think a great potential development for the R&H Hall would be a central plaza, possibly with a fountain or green area, and three tall and relatively thin buildings, ranging from 15 to 25/30 stories. That would especially compliment the proposed 40 storey, The Elysian, and the R&H Hall is already really tall (and a genuine case of overbearing due to it being so ugly)

• Registered Users Posts: 40 tsiklon

TWO hundred jobs were announced for the city today by a company that will become the first anchor tenant in the mammoth Navigation Square office development on Albert Quay.

The major jobs and investment announcement by Clearstream, a services arm of the Deutsche Börse Group, has been welcomed by Cork Chamber as a significant vote of confidence in Cork as a centre for financial services.

http://www.eveningecho.ie/corknews/200-new-jobs-for-Cork-as-first-tenants-of-Navigation-Square-development-confirmed-82d18121-bb91-4ac9-863a-cd771f25a893-ds

Advertisement