Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Building a Cocktail Cabinet

• 24-02-2016 10:37am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭

I am looking to build a Cocktail cabinet and some advice from the people here would be much appreciated :)

The idea is that I have an old LCD monitor and an OUYA that I could reuse and stick into a cocktail cabinet.

I probably could not do the woodwork etc. so is it best to buy in a pre-made kit that I can put together myself?
    If so then where is the best place to buy these kits and the controllers etc.?

I am not looking for anything fancy, just a black cocktail cabinet that I can play all the old Arcade titles and would have 2 players opposite each other with a couple of speakers for sound.

Also would it be recommended to use something like a Pi instead of the OUYA?

The monitor I have takes VGA and DVI so would need to have something that could output that or could also buy a cheap secondhand one I am sure as well.

Would it be realistic to get the cabinet kit, controllers, speakers etc. for under €200?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭eddhorse

There was a ramvik table from ikea that was easily made into a cocktail. I find the prepacked ones are expensive on adverts and ebay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭reni10

Thanks for the response, had a look at the IKEA stuff but am looking for something that looks a lot more like a real arcade cocktail.

Anyone else any advice for me?

reni10 wrote: »
    Thanks for the response, had a look at the IKEA stuff but am looking for something that looks a lot more like a real arcade cocktail.

Anyone else any advice for me?

If you want it to look the real deal you wont be able to make it cheap.
    200 is an extremely low budget.
    controls,wiring,coindoor,control panels,glass,glass fixtures,legs,feet,wood,paint ,screws etc all add up rapidly.

Also most cheap LCDs are designed to be viewed in landscape.
    so can have a terrible picture when viewed in portrait and upside down for player 2 !

What I'd do is buy an original cocktail shell (Los lobos might be able to help you out with a cocktail carcass )

use a 13" crt pc monitor and a 60-1 jamma baord.
    Enjoy that for a while then start to fix it up cosmetically as funds allow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭reni10

Thanks for the advice Brownfinger, I might actually look at a 2 player Bartop now on a pedestal as it would take up less space.

Any advice on that?

reni10 wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice Brownfinger, I might actually look at a 2 player Bartop now on a pedestal as it would take up less space.

Any advice on that?

No probs,
    bartops are not my cup of tea at all.
    I did find this cocktail cabinet build and its delish
    http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=113919.0

• Advertisement
Advertisement