Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Never been in a hostel, tips?

Options
  • 24-02-2016 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭

Any advice to a newbie to hostels? Staying in Galway for fri sat night, will be there to play sports and go drinking the saturday night.
    I've no clue, like do I bring own towel or pillow? Do the usually have lockers?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Haven't been in one in ages, I always brought my own towel and a pillow case/tshirt to throw over the pillow (it's a thing I used to do when I was younger).

Also ... earplugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭gsi300024v

Earplugs yep, thought of them, generally handy. Planes cars etc sure not enjoy it a little quieter.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Earplugs. I went away with a group once and there was one fella who snored louder than I ever thought possible. He had a great weekend and we all spent the entire trip sleep deprived until I ended up booking a private room for the last night just to get some sleep.

Ignorant shit thought it was funny! :mad:

Anyway hostels are great. Earplugs are a must. Blankets and Pillows will be provided. None of the ones I have ever stayed in have lockers. I do love hostels, you always meet such cool people.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,952 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Read the reviews on www.hostelworld.com

Own towel, yes. Pillowcase, nah, not necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭MintyMagnum

footwear for the shower!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,230 ✭✭✭bobbyss

gsi300024v wrote: »
    Any advice to a newbie to hostels? Staying in Galway for fri sat night, will be there to play sports and go drinking the saturday night.
    I've no clue, like do I bring own towel or pillow? Do the usually have lockers?

We took some plastic plates and cutlery.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Look at the hostel website. It will state there what is provided at the location.
    http://www.sleepzone.ie/sleepzone-galway-faqs
    Where can we leave our luggage?
    Our guests are welcome to leave their luggage in our luggage room free of charge while on day trips or even just prior to check-in.
    There are also electronic lockers that can be hired if guests require extra security, and safety deposit boxes that are free of charge.

Do we need to bring our own bed linen?
    We provide clean bed linen for all of our guests, changed daily prior to check-in. For guests staying for longer periods, bed linen is changed every 3 days.

Are bath towels provided?
    Towels are provided at no extra charge.
    etc

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Pebbles82

I love hostels :) but just don't be shocked :) Most people are respectful but you do get groups who are on "tour" for the weekend who maybe louder then your normal backpacker! if your a newbie I would recommend a smaller dorm to ease yourself into it but they are great value for money and mostly in great locations especially in Galway. the website will tell you what they provide but remember it is cheap and cheerful and sometimes the no frills of accommodation options :) Also think about which bunk you want (top or bottom) pros/cons to both but they are not assigned so you choose when you get into the dorm unless you are last to check in. A lot of backpackers leave early for day trip tours so be prepared for early starts but they will try to be quiet unless you've woken them the night before coming in and they hold a grudge :/ maybe use the torch on your phone instead of the main dorm light at night if its very late. Anyway relax and enjoy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Please.. arrange your bed, luggage, toilet bag before you go out for the night. Doing it at 1am when others are sleeping is not appreciated. Especially avoid rustling plastic bags. (Bloody plastic bags!)

Already mentioned; ear-plugs, shower foot-wear, towel, torch
    Unlikely your own cutlery is essential. If the hostel has kitchen facilities they will provide cutlery. If you are fussy bring your own tea-towel - and pillow case.

Hostels are great. Often in fab locations. Almost always an opportunity to meet nice people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Light slippers that you can fold up, the bathrooms nearly always are water logged and the floor of some of the rooms well....

Bring your own towel as they will charge.

Earplugs yes, yes, yes.

A combination lock for lockers.

• Advertisement

HAve crocs, just got ear plugs, have towels, have a lock.
    Do most place have somewhere to cook? I was thinking just breakfast, might be handy to bring stuff instead of having to go out?

Pebbles82 wrote: »
    I love hostels :) but just don't be shocked :) Most people are respectful but you do get groups who are on "tour" for the weekend who maybe louder then your normal backpacker! if your a newbie I would recommend a smaller dorm to ease yourself into it but they are great value for money and mostly in great locations especially in Galway. the website will tell you what they provide but remember it is cheap and cheerful and sometimes the no frills of accommodation options :) Also think about which bunk you want (top or bottom) pros/cons to both but they are not assigned so you choose when you get into the dorm unless you are last to check in. A lot of backpackers leave early for day trip tours so be prepared for early starts but they will try to be quiet unless you've woken them the night before coming in and they hold a grudge :/ maybe use the torch on your phone instead of the main dorm light at night if its very late. Anyway relax and enjoy :)
    There will be about 30 of us probably in same place for the weekend, so we'll probably be the annoying ones.

Woodquay Hostel Galway City, 23/24 Woodquay, Galway, Ireland this is the place that'll have the pleasure of my company.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

HAve crocs, just got ear plugs, have towels, have a lock.
    Do most place have somewhere to cook? I was thinking just breakfast, might be handy to bring stuff instead of having to go out?

Most hostels have a kitchen but best to check on their website first. There is normally a spar nearby where you can get something so I wouldn't say you would have to bring stuff with you.

Yeah they've a kitchen and provide breakfast, what does breakfast usually be?
    I got stuck in the big room with one other of my party and 6 strangers, but sure who cares I'll get the full hostel experience!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,952 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Yeah they've a kitchen and provide breakfast, what does breakfast usually be?
    I got stuck in the big room with one other of my party and 6 strangers, but sure who cares I'll get the full hostel experience!

Breakfast in hostels is usually continental: cornflakes, toast, juice tea/coffee. And the kitchen is closed to other uses at that time.

Don't judge all hostels by what you experience in the first one. Remember that some have longer-term residents who are typically people who can handle the communal living situation, but who cannot handle (or perhaps afford) independent livign. Some of these people can be a little strange - harmless, but odd. Since you're there with a group, it's unlikely that you'll get into conversations with them, though, and you may not even notice them.

But do be security conscious: don't leave valuables lying around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭The Raptor

Sleep with something with pockets and sleep with your wallet in your pocket.

I stayed in a place once where someone else was robbed and their wallet stolen and the thief legged it quickly from the hostel in the morning.

Keep an eye on other valuables. What I like doing is having a small backpack and sleep with it beside me on the inside between myself and the wall with my valuables inside it.

I never had anything stolen yet. But someone did go through my clothes looking for things to take. Its not clothes they're after.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,445 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

If you don't fancy the look of the food there's a deli next door that's open all sorts of hours anyway so you won't be starving.

If you don't fancy the look of the food there's a deli next door that's open all sorts of hours anyway so you won't be starving.

Good to know, I'll want my salty fix after a load of booze.

Advertisement